Must have brand name grocery items?

:OT: shhh *whispering* I think some name brand prescription medicine is better than generic. Doctors say its all the same, but I can tell a difference. Some seem stronger.

Let's talk about electronics. Okay I can't stand Apple or any iPhone products with the limited capability they offer in my opinion. For years now I stay with Samsung only. Got the Samsung TV in the living room/bedroom and my Galaxy S7. In fact I got most my family to invest in a Galaxy whatever at some point lol!

I know people who just LOVE Apple. My first couple of computers were Apples....and I have to say they were so easy to use, to learn, I loved them. However, back then, I could not access a great many sites on the internet as the Apple evidently was not compatible. So, when my computer ended up getting fried by a lightning bolt outside, I switched over to Windows machine ........which made me laugh because they had just begun using pull down menus, which Apple had already had for a few years.

For me, Apple might be fine (I do appreciate they could convert any Windows data very easily, where Windows cannot still do that.) But, they have outpriced my wallet. I do hate that while the price of computers came down, they discontinued the free programs that used to accompany it. Word Processing, Quicken, Spreadsheets, Data bases, etc. So, by the time you update all those to go with a new computer, they change the Windows, to 7, 8, 10.......and your programs won't work. LOL

I worked for a food processing company when I was in college. We made mayonnaise, salad dressings, mustard, ketchup, etc. for may different brands. Most of the time, the formula only required a slight change in oil (fat), salt and/or vinegar content. It had to be done according to specifications and probably changed the tastes of each a bit, but they were all produced at the same place, lol. Most of our foods are probably contracted out to food processors. That's where many recalls come from. It takes longer to do the lab tests than to do the quick tests on the line and product has already shipped.

kt, my brother-in-law used to be able to tell me what companies and what factories made the store brands (due to his former job).

I did a factory tour once in south central PA. and they were cleaning the machines and changing the dies (for stamping the tablets with company markings) while switching from making one brand of acetaminophen to another.

Days of our Lives would love this. lol I am a Sony girl My tv, stereo, old dvd player, blu ray/dvd are all Sony.

@squirrel.........yes, I have open office on my laptop. I downloaded it there, I wanted to do so for my son's computer, but he doesn't have internet. Only reason I did not use Open Office is.....I absolutely HATE a laptop keyboard......and if I have to attach a regular keyboard, then it is no longer a laptop, is it. LOL

But this desktop is getting so outdated, I am going to have to get another, and I hate the thought. (Plus cannot afford it, since I now have to get a new stove. Grrrrr

McCormick Spices. I tried some cheap store brands and the sage was like tiny sticks.
A little :OT: Last night I was looking at our spices (I'm trying to put together a spice rack of my own creation) I found a can of dill seed that said copyright 1977 :rotfl:. Won't be using that. Looked it up on the internet (because I know copyrights are not the age but..sometimes close) led me to Ebay where a similar one was being sold for $10.00. lol

Last edited:
I hate hijacking this thread (sorry) but most of the time, the problems people report with the site displaying things weird is because of screen resolution..

The site uses what's called an "adaptive" theme, meaning it displays things differently whether you're on a tablet, or on a desktop, or using a desktop machine with a good monitor. Even if you have a great monitor (1920x1080 resolution or better) and you shrink the browser window, you'll notice how things get moved around to fit the screen. It does all this because your browser reports to the server what screen resolution you're at, and if you're using -- say for example -- an laptop or even a computer at 1024 x 768 resolution, the site thinks you're using a low-end tablet (or cellphone)...

This -- along with saving your eyesight -- is why I highly recommend using a good monitor, and understanding that screens on your cellphone are going to work differently...

Wayne

Back on thread, I have to add Peppridge Farms Hamburger buns. I recently picked up a bag at the local Fresh Market (because Peppridge Farms was one of the only two choices) and they were phenomenally fresh and soft, even a week after buying them.

Mine had mold. Had to throw away almost half a loaf just the other day :sick:

Okay I can't stand Apple or any iPhone products with the limited capability they offer
I could not POSSIBLY imagine any single conceivable way that Apple products are limited, unless you're deep into *nix hacking and stuff that'd probably get ya arrested. Examples please?

Wayne

Mine had mold. Had to throw away almost half a loaf just the other day :sick:
As a single guy, cooking for one, I can't seem to go through a full loaf of any bread before it either gets hard (in the fridge) or moldy (outside the fridge). Same goes with milk. If I buy a half-gallon, it'll be gone in a day. If I buy a full gallon, it'll turn before I get 1/2 way through it.

I did learn the hard way not to leave bread sitting on top of the fridge, because with the compressor going, the top and sides of the fridge are essentially throwing out heat 24/7. Heat will mold bread in a day.

Back