My first day free of smoke

the look of love

Reaction score
I have smokrd for about 29 years.
Well I made the decision to QUIT. today (1-2-2014) was my first day of not smoking. besides the obvious health reasons, it is saving me $40.00 a month on insurance, plus the cost of a carton of the stupid things!! Today was tough. I just kept busy and made it!! I waited till the 2nd because that way it isn't a "new years resolution". :)

I was thinking today that one more year will mark the 20 years of no smoking for me. I remember the day I quit I said "I swear to God that to the degree that I love my children, I will never smoke again" It was a very powerful affirmation for me. Every once in a while I will have a dream where I am sitting with a half smoked cigarette, I look at it and I am so mad at myself, I don't remember smoking it, but there it is, half gone. I wish you the best and I know you can do it! If I can do it you can:) Excellent idea about putting that money back for your reward. Check out Pinterest's 52 week money challenge. I started a jar for myself!

Good Luck to you, you can do it. I quit smoking 15 years ago I had a heart attack the Dr. said the best thing I could do for myself was to quit never had another one, I died twice on the operating table guess that was my motivation, LOL I must admit still once in a blue moon I think I going to have a cigarette and cup of coffee, but it leaves as fast as I thought of it!

Congratulations on starting the first day of your new life, the look of love. You can do it. Chew gum. Drink water. Buy sugar-free lollipops. Talk to someone. Whatever it takes. I have seen, firsthand, what smoking can do to a person. I lost an aunt to lung cancer, directly related to smoking, and my mother suffered from emphysema and was on oxygen, until she finally succumbed. She told me that, if anyone had told her back when she first started smoking (in the days when it was fashionable, circa WWII) that this would happen, she never would have started. Please enjoy every clean breath you take and be proud of yourself. I know it will get easier each day. :)

Congratulations. It is a one day at a time proposition. I quit, and actually had four cigarettes left in my last pack. I did not throw them away, I kept them on the mantle saying to myself each day that I was stronger than that tube of tobacco. Lo and behold, suddenly it was four months gone and the four cigarettes were still there. So I decided to test myself and lit one...man did it taste like CA CA! I could not get the darn smell off my fingers it seemed like for weeks. I do not recommend my method of testing though, it could backfire!

I'm so happy that you have made this decision! I know that you can do it and you have all of us here to support you and cheer you on! Good luck!

congratulations!!! :) This is such a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself and those around you. God bless and good luck!
From my friends who have quit smoking: day 7 is hard....make it a goal to get through day 7. if you need us next week- we're here! they also said to set small goals after day 7...like, day 30... day 90... 1 year... and celebrate- maybe by letting us know here so we can all cheer you on! :)

Good for you and congratulations. I have stopped and started smoking many times and know how hard it is to break it for good. I still haven't completely quit as I do enjoy a cigarette when I have a few drinks, however having said I recently got another prescription to aid in quitting again. It's a pill called Champax that I've used it in the past and it really helps with the cravings. Do not beat yourself up and see it as a failure if you do give in and have one........ Just keep trying. The cravings do go away and become more manageable. This is one of the hardest habits to quit and has been said harder to break than harder drugs. Take it one hour at a time. Good luck and I wish you the best success!!!

Great job! I smoked over 2 packs a day when I quit cold turkey 26 years ago. I remember swearing that I would stop smoking when the price in the vending machine at work (!) went over 25 cents a pack - it was a lot higher when I quit - and holes in some of my favorite clothes. Keep up the good work.

What Poirot said about so many places being smoke free now is so true. Some people never do lose the taste or desire for smoking so for them it is especially hard to be around others who are smoking. Fortunately, most people do lose the taste for it (I think) after some period of time. I certainly did. In fact, the smell makes me dreadfully sick now.

Someone else earlier mentioned some setbacks. I would also say please don't get discouraged if you should fall back. I went back to it a couple of times before I quit completely. But I've been off them for 38 years now and am so thankful for it, especially after seeing a number of people close to me suffer greatly from the effects of smoking. Best wishes!

Back