New Days writers

Big behind the scenes news at DAYS: Head Writers Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell are out and Dena Higley and Josh Griffith will be replacing them, effective February 16. Griffith, who has extensive soap credits, including GH, ATWT, OLTL, SANTA BARBARA and HOLLYWOOD HEIGHTS, last served as Y&R’s head scribe from 2012-13; Higley is no stranger to Salem, having served as the show’s head writer twice, in 2003, and from 2008-11.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-major-writer-switch-days

Yes, Higley is the writer responsible for the deplorable writing regarding John and Marlena. Do not be surprised if John and Marlena are backburned EVEN MORE or even fired. It is well known that Higley hates Marlena. The evidence for that is in her writing.

In my opinion, Days is screwed now. And this early announcement makes me terrified for what we will see in six months when Higley and Griffith's writing takes over. Admittedly I am a huge Marlena fan, so this is just... not good news. At all.

Oh, great! They brought back one of the worst writers Days has had in history. Bye bye, Deidre Hall (Marlena). We all know Higley hates Marlena.

edited to add actress' last name and character name....JS
No, we ALL don't know any such thing. Higley was hamstrung during her time because of Whitesell, plus there was something else which I will not go into at all.

Then, Tomlin & Whitesell came aboard, tinkered with/changed storylines. i.e. Stefano really WAS supposed to be dead, shot to death but they resurrected him to keep the DiMeras going. And then they killed off Jack in the aftermath of the tunnel explosion.

I would imagine that various writers may have character they love to write for, and those they may have a problem with. I don't know.

What I do know, though, is that viewers have been clamoring for some time for a change in writers. And there ARE writers who absolutely will not take on Days, because of the interference. So let's not complain, until we see what transpires. And that won't be until late summer.

No, we ALL don't know any such thing. Higley was hamstrung during her time because of Whitesell, plus there was something else which I will not go into at all
I'm just saying it is pretty well known that Higley is responsible for Marlena's character disintegration years ago. She's also partly responsible for why the ratings were so low back then, hence why she was fired. I don't really understand why Days insists on bringing back writers they fired, but whatever. We'll just have to wait and see.

This is good news for Nicole fans though! Higley loves writing for Nicole.

As for John & Marlena, they have not had any story for years. Marlena has been filler, John put in a coma for months, and then off the show. And THAT was not Higley at all. Currently, both are being used for occasional filler. Heck, present writers bring John back to town, put him on the police force and send him to chicago......just when a huge story breaks with a prominent business owner being stabbed in the park.
Victor is John's ex-father-in-law, manages trust funds with him, has John's son living with him, and it was Victor's nephew who nearly died. But....is John involved? Nope.

Yes, exactly. And they will continue to be used as filler characters and tools for other people's storylines if Higley gets her way. She was fired in 2011, so I'm fully aware she had nothing to do with the state that John and Marlena are currently in, but I'm just saying, don't expect it to get better.

She's also partly responsible for why the ratings were so low back then, hence why she was fired.
Really? And this is fact? Days ratings currently are lower than they have ever been, so am not buying that at all. Greg Meng has had a lot to do with what goes on backstage, and he has been with Days since 1992.

SOAP OPERA DIGEST ANNOUNCES "DAYS" NEW HEAD WRITERS DENA HIGLEY & JOSH GRIFFITH

Head writers Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell have been relieved of their duties, effective this Friday, February 13. The new head writers of "Days of Our Lives" will be Dena Higley and Josh Griffith, who begin work on Monday, February 16. With "Days" taping 5 months in advance, look for Tomlin/Whitesell's work to continue to air into July/August 2015, when Higley/Griffith's material will beg...in. This is Higley's third stint as head writer at "Days." She was previously head writer from March-August 2003 and was again the head writer from 2008-2011. She has a long career with "Days", having first been a breakdown writer with the show from 1985-2003. Griffith is new to "Days", having previously been the head writer of "One Life to Live" and "The Young and the Restless", as well as being a co-creator of "Sunset Beach." Higley, 56, was born September 26, 1958 in California. Griffith, 55, was born August 15, 1959 in New York.

Alright, well, my point is is that it's not going to get better. In my opinion. Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell were awful writers but Higley is no better. I don't see much of anything changing for the show, in fact I see it getting more boring. Again, just my opinion.

I just want Sheri Anderson back. :cry::rolleyes:

edited to write out name of writers....combo names ARE NOT used on this board....JS

I for one will give this team the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if Days was the "power struggle" show hinted at in a recent blind item from behind the scenes.

While part of me does cringe a bit at Dena Higley, the fact is Josh Griffith is joining her as Head Writer and I've liked Josh's work, from what I've seen of it.

Now the show just needs to jettison some dead wood and bring back some fan favorites. Right now I'm just watching Melanie's scenes because Molly Burnett came back. I'd like to watch a full 60-minute episode and recognize all of the characters. :)

edited to write out words....JS

Yes, I am excited to see what Josh Griffith is going to do for days. I remember his writing for Young & Restless and I didn't hate it. I know he's knew to Days, so all I can hope for is that he does his homework on the characters and their pasts.

I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that Days is bringing back a TWICE FIRED writer who, in my opinion, had no semblance or understanding of the characters she was writing for. She practically threw all character history out of the window as head writer. She didn't bring creativity to the show the past two times she wrote for Days, so... yes, I'm pessimistic about what's in store for us.

To quote what someone said in this thread: http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/9222547/1/
I don't know that Higley was boring. MarDar were boring. Higley was mostly just offensive. And she has no love for any supercouple that I can see.

John/Marlena - RoboJohn, Ava, paralysis, exit.
Bo/Hope - Bo's visions, Ransom ripoff, Carbo 2.0, Nighttime Hope
Steve/Kayla - Ava, Ava, Ava. Fired.
Jack/Jennifer - Jack abandons his family, Jen gets heart removed from her chest, falls for Dr. Tan.

And that doesn't include Chloe being a hooker, fake dead babies, Melanie as the center of the universe in Salem, and the tragically offensive bad hair sported by EJ and Philip during that time period.

Gosh this is going to be fun.

That pretty much sums it up. :(

Back