New Days writers

I think the suits have realized the damage of the following things the viewers didn't like:
-EJ & Abigail's split---the viewers, by and large--ATE THAT UP! It made no sense that he and Sami got back together before his death
-JJ & Eve--need I say more?
-Abigail & Ben and Jordan & Rafe--boring!
-Nicole's mistreatment

All of this has been plastered all over social media, and perhaps they've seen the damage and decided finally to make a change.

DaysD: I don't think Ben and Abigail are so boring that they are driving away viewers or anything.

I came here after reading this news on twitter and Facebook. My are some of the comments disgusting. Wow!

I liked Sami the most when she was with Rafe. That was also back when Dan and Jennifer were more rootable and EJ and Nicole were together. I'll take those storylines any day over most of what we have now.

I guess the bright side here is she is not the sole head writer. Including anyone from the Young & The Restless is a win win to me.

I agree that Ben & Abby alone aren't a reason to draw viewers away, but the fact that the rest of the show is, for the most part, either boring or gross, it's certainly not helping. Plus, all the criticism of them on social media, even for those still watching, would be enough to grab their attention.

I guess the bright side here is she is not the sole head writer. Including anyone from the Young & The Restless is a win win to me.
I so agree. Josh Griffith will hopefully balance her out and together, just maybe, they can bring back the show we all used to love. Man oh man is it nice to finally have Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell GONE. Sayonara! You two will not be missed. No face cakes for you! :rotfl:

Would they allow Higley to finish her stories that were cut at the knees. Was she responsible for Alice's bank accounts? Maybe she will bring mama Hernandez to town. What cast members will be fired. I want Eve to go unless they bring back the original actress. I would like to see Jack return. Didn't she bring Victor and Maggie together? I think she also started the gay storyline and some of the stuff with Gabi.

Those were the stories they were smart to continue with. What I don't want to see is a bunch of stories dropped at the same time again and several cast members walk the plank in the same week. Is a smooth transition too much to ask for? Oh! and wasn't Higley responsible for the Alice Horton death storyline?

The thing is, you really have NO idea why Higley was let go, and the fact she gets brought back should tell you something. As I said, Behind the scenes/backstage...things are said/done that never hit the media, so........just because a character has a lousy story, or maybe no story, is not to say the character (or actor) is not liked. And just because those backstage keep their mouths shut is no reason to let the guessing games and speculation be termed "fact". And that is just MY opinion.

By the way, Sheri Anderson WAS asked to return a couple years ago. She refused!!
I've heard the exact same thing. Sheri has been asked on Twitter and her claim is she doesn't know anyone connected with the show now behind the scenes. I think that's code for "Don't mess with my work or I'll walk". And I don't blame her.

For now, I give Josh and Dena the benefit of the doubt. At least we might have a better chance of getting some familiar faces back.

Yeah by my tally she was Head Writer at the time of Alice's funeral (2010), but not the bank account thing - that was Marlene McPherson & Darrell Ray Thomas (2012).

Taken from daytimeroyaltyonline, here's a list of what Higley was head writer for:
EJ deportation
Lucas on house arrest
Nicole's return
John's memories on a disc
The woman that paralysed John
Morgan/Philip
John vs. the Hollingsworths
Lucas/Chloe
Joey's birth
Bo's pancreas story.
The Ava Vitali arc (kidnapping Hope, trying to sleep with Steve, detoxing from the pills, romancing John).
Elevator sex begetting Lucas and Chloe and ...Ejole?
Bo and Hope remarry even though they weren't divorced.
Stefano and the hospital lockdown.
Max is an engineering genius and Nick is jealous.
Chelsea and Max leave to go to medical school together.
Bo becomes police commissioner after Hope turns it down to spend more time with Ciara.
Abe becomes mayor.
Hope shoots Kayla (part of the psychic Bo story)
Baby switch/Grace's death, etc
Chloe and Lucas becoming friends, and the possibility of the triangle with Philip that went nowhere
Dimera/Kiriakis Feud-Stephanie's abduction
Bricole during the baby switch
Nighttime Hope
Organ harvesting
Chloe becomes a prostitute
Carly druggie dumpster diving
Chloe's depression suicide attempt
Trent
Nick goes crazy and kills Trent
Alternative fuels
The baby switch
Philip shot
Stephanie kidnapped
Theo is autistic

And regarding Stefano:
Hospital purple gas
Nonno
State
Diabetes
War with Victor

I mean I haven't even SEEN half of the stuff that's mentioned here! Wow.

Wow! They finally got rid of the head writers! Now they need to get rid of the newbies no one likes!

Not sure I want Higley there. Like others have said she nearly ruined the show last time she was the shows head writer. As for the other head writer I don't know if I've seen any of his work on Y&R. I did watch Y&R many years ago but haven't watched it much since.

Wonder what Peter Reckell (Bo) thinks of this? Wonder if he would consider returning now there's been a headwriter change? I wonder if these writers will push for Bo's return?

I just Hope that we don't end up with Rafe, Melanie and Daniel shoved in every storyline. I do not want to see Rafe in Hope and Aiden's sl. Nor do I want to see Rafe with Hope.

As for Hope and Aiden I really like them together. I just hope they don't get rid of Aiden. I like Daniel Cosgrove being on the show and I've come to like Aiden. I just Hope Aiden's not a Psycho and killed his wife! If they are going in this direction then my opinion on Aiden may change.

edited to add character's name....JS

Was Higley in that batch of writers who won an emmy for writing and then was fired?

Saayum: Thanks for the list but is noticeably biased. No mention whatsoever of the Sami/Rafe safehouse, romance, and marriage. That was a huge part of her era.

AlisonLou: Tell us how you really feel about Rafe. I for one hope gets a storyline or 2 before the new regime comes in. I'd take that any day over some of the storylines we are seeing now.

Yes, it was glaringly apparent that the Rafe storylines were omitted including the Rafe2 story and the Sami/Rafe baby snatch story. Don't understand why some dislike Rafe except that they may have been rooting for another. I, for one, hope this brings Rafe to the forefront once again. Also Nicole, Marlena, John, Maxine, Abe, Kayla, all the vets. Certainly not happy with all the "fall into bed" after meeting one day and saying you are in love. I hope it brings back romance, intrigue, mystery and family. Oh and I don't think Aiden is a good fit for Hope, he is so bland and she needs a dynamic partner like Bo was. Just my opinion. :love:

edited to write out text-speak phrase....JS

Well.....I'm almost not sure how to feel about this. I guess it's mostly good, or at least tipping more in that direction. The most jarring thing is the fact that they just rehired someone who has been fired twice already. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. From what I've been reading, there is speculation that perhaps Griffith will sort of lead overall story direction and Higley is more for the continuity and character history given her experience with the show. I could be on board with that, I suppose.

I hope this means most of the newbies will be gone and some fan favorites will be returning. Given the 50th is right around the corner (in terms of what has been taped so far) I expect some big returns for that. It's interesting that they announced this change so far in advance. I wonder if they will try to keep some of the upcoming returns/new castings hush hush for awhile. I'm hoping against hope that this turn of events will mean a change in the taping schedule and that perhaps they will take some more time off soon. Eh, one can hope, right?

So, I guess this means more Rafe. I'm totally ok with that since he's been nonexistent the past couple years. Also, Higley wrote pretty good for Nicole so I am seriously looking forward to more of that. Maybe those two can mesh and Nicole and Rafe will be a couple? Pretty please with sugar on top?

I don't get why this show keeps replacing writers with writers they had already fired for destroying the show. But maybe she was the better writer of the three and without the other two her work will shine. Positive attitude.

I can also say she was the best writer Nicole has ever had.

I forgot that she liked Rafe. Another plus.

Did she worship at the alter of Jonas? I am tired of them having their hand in almost everything

Back