Prayers for Arkansas' tornado victims

mae00

Reaction score
Please keep everyone in Arkansas in your prayers. As of this morning, there are 16 confirmed deaths in the state from massive tornadoes last night. The town of Vilonia was still recovering from the last tornado 3 years ago and now has to start that process all over again. The tornado last night took almost the exact same path as 3 years ago as well. I have family and friends in this area and everyone is just devastated right now and could use all the prayers that they can get.

Good news is that the # of reported deaths has been dropped from 16 to 14. I pray that it doesn't go any higher. 10 of these were from Vilonia and 2 of those were children.

@old cowgirl - right now, there's not much information to be known. The storm hit Vilonia right around dark. So people are just now seeing the extent of the damage. The mayor of Vilonia has asked that only first responders be in the area at the moment to clear the roads and locate the missing and injured. The NWS is supposed to be out today to survey the damage and declare the size/power of the tornado and determine if there was only one or if there were multiple. When the storm left Mayflower and headed to Vilonia, there were reports that it about 3/4 of a mile wide. This storm was so much worse and so much more powerful than the EF2 that hit in 2011. Some storm chasers that were here said that from what they've seen, they expect an EF4/EF5 rating to be issued. Efforts may be hampered today due to another round of thunderstorms that could pop up today and tomorrow.

They're saying that the damage in Vilonia is worse than it was 3 years ago... On the radio station that I listen to, one of the DJs reported that a friend of theirs in the area, who lost her home 3 years ago, lost hers again... I heard from my ex-husband (who I am friends with now) that some friends of his sister lost everything in their RV dealership - they live on site. They are fine, but lost everything. It missed my ex-husband by "an exit." He'd just gotten home when the sirens went off - he watched it go by.

mae, thanks for starting the topic.

I live in NW Ark. I found out on the weather channel last night what happened.
My local channels weren't showing anything except during the news.

Sad to hear about Mayflower and Vilonia. I lived close by when I lived
in central Arkansas. They are small towns that people are moving into.

Prayers today to everyone in my state and others touched by
the storms yesterday.

Thanks to all of you for the updates. I haven't had a chance to hear much news today, so far. I was surprised this morning that there wasn't more coverage of it on the news. So very, very sad when lives get torn apart by these storms.

Kat, I was wondering about you this morning. Glad you weren't in the path of destruction.

More storms are suppose to going on later today in some areas.

Prayers for everyone who might be in danger.

Curfews have been set and the National Guard has been called out. At minimum, this tornado was a EF3 and at the point they stopped their evaluation, had cut a path 30 miles long and was anywhere from 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile. Estimated winds at this point have been said to have been 136 mph. Majority of this is expected to have the values increased as they get into Vilonia and other areas. NWS is to try to continue their evaluation today and then take an ariel view tomorrow before making the official declarations. So much devastation and so much heartache in the state right now as the names of those who lost their lives have been identified.

At lunch yesterday, I got word that both Wal-Marts in the nearby city were out of bottled water. So I took up a small collection at work and then went to Sams to purchase some supplies and let the boys pick out what they wanted to get them. My sister should be dropping off the stuff today since the drop-off times are while I'm at work and I can't travel that far on my lunch and make it back on time.

I am up in NE Arkansas but my family was a bit too close for comfort. The tornado missed them by a couple dozen miles or so. I pray for the ones who lost loved ones: those two parents who lost their sons, the family of 11 who lost the dad and two girls. It's so heart wrenching to see it all over Facebook. my cousin is friends on there with the mom of the two boys. Can't imagine what any of these families are going through.

So sad when these things occur. Thinking of all affected and hope they can all find some comfort with each other, pull together as a community and witness the warmth and acts of kindness whn tragedy trikes.

Back