Rafe and Hope - Yea or Nay?

Do you like Rafe and Hope as a couple?

• Yes

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.0%

• Total voters
If Stefano was shot while trying to kill Hope, it would have been self-defense. And yes, if anyone in Salem deserved to die, it was Stefano, who in effect, committed "suicide by cop" by goading Hope to shoot him. Nevertheless, Hope's actions constituted murder. However, given Stefano's evil history and the way he goaded Hope with highly-provocative taunts, temporary insanity could have been a successful defense (as long as the lawyer wasn't a fool like Aiden). The alternative, Hope simply leaving the scene, would also have sufficed. Stefano had so many enemies, it could have literally been anyone who killed him. There was also no need to railroad Andre. This guy commits so many crimes so often that if Roman's cops got their act together he'd be in jail for something he really did in a Salem second. Finally, as for Rafe-Hope as a couple, that concept suffers because both members are dirty cops.

I also want to say, I really like the Rafe/Hope friendship. Police partners very often develop very close relationships, they always "have each other's backs", count on each other, have faith in each other. This is how I see these two.

I don't mind them as a couple, but I see no future in it. (Soaps play musical partners all the time, so nothing lasts any more. )

My first post on this board back in 2011 was to start a threat called "Bo Brady Is a Criminal,"
I remember that post, and that's what I thought of when I replied to your recent post. :)

I don't mind them as a couple, but I see no future in it
That can be said of all soap couples. :)

I would like to see Rafe become a father.
It could still happen with Hope. Marlena was about 60 when she got pregnant the last time.

I voted No. I see zero chemistry between the characters and to put them together simply because there's no one else to pair them with is silly. Why can't Hope be single & lovin it? She has Ciara and (for now) Shawn D to focus on - granted, they're both adults, but let's face it - this is Salem. As for Rafe, why not have him in "COP!!" mode - he was good last year during the Serial Killer storyline and Galen Gering (Rafe) seemed to have a pretty good handle on how to portray him as such.

Slightly Off-Topic -- Bo's blessing was ridiculous - he should have asked John & Steve to "keep an eye" on Hope after he was gone to make sure she wasn't wallowing in grief, and asked Marlena to keep tabs on her & the kids as well.

I want to like Hope and I want to like Rafe, but the writing & the way they seem to be forcing them together as a couple (not to mention the fact that they're eating up the screen time) is making me not only bored with them as individuals, but loathe them as a couple. As it stands now, I'm to the point where they can get rid of Rafe entirely and have Hope go on a cruise with Doug & Julie for about 6 months.

Some days, some scenes I find myself rooting for Rafe and wanting to see Hope actually appear to love Rafe the man, not "love" Rafe her partner/dear friend/admirable guy who she can boss around. It's like, the couple almost gets to even ground, almost gets me on board for them, and then boom, derailed.

I just don't see the love feeling from Hope about Rafe. As a friend, as a lower on the totem pole coworker, yes, but as a man she desires, no.

Actually in this day and age, cheating wouldn't be necessary, and if Rafe is written in character, he'd never do that. In reality many couples will turn to surrogacy and other methods to have a child. Heck, Days has certainly gone to extremes in the past with both Vivian and Kristen actually stealing fetuses and carrying them to term.

As for the litany of reasons listed for why people don't like the couple, I really don't think that they are necessary. In my opinion, we all like what we like and simply don't like what we don't like, (and I still say that the issue of chemistry is relative, we each either see it or or we don't, dependent on our own perspectives). I don't think disliking soap pairings need to be justified. The exception being in some instances where rape and or abuse is concerned.

The beauty of of the structure of soaps is that if you don't like one pairing, there are other options. One of the things about both Rafe and Hope is that they were each part of two very successful long term pairings, and I don't think that the fans of each of the pairings will ever agree entirely on any new partner.

I think the point of this thread was that there are a substantial number of us that actually do like and enjoy the pairing, something that has been strongly disputed by some.

I think the point of this thread was that there are a substantial number of us that actually do like and enjoy the pairing, something that has been strongly disputed by some.

The topic of this thread is "Rafe and Hope--Yea or Nay?". On this board when a survey is conducted, posters typically respond with their opinion as to why they chose the response they did. I see nothing wrong with that. I enjoy reading opinions from other fans whether I agree or not. The original poster also included several opinions from other threads in her first post.

Also, there are 40 responses to the actual survey question half of which like the couple and half of which do not. 20 people out of the roughly 2 million that watch on a daily basis is not what I would call substantial. I don't think anyone is denying that this pairing does have a fanbase, as do most other pairings on the show.

I wasn't criticizing the posts or saying anything was wrong with it, just stating my general opinion regarding not needing to justify reasons for not liking a couple. And I have seen posts inferring that there were very few people (in general) liking the couple. Because of all the negative posts even people liking the couple were asking if they were the only ones. My point was that at least on this board they are not as alone as they thought they were.

I voted YES. I like the chemistry they have as partners and I am hoping that transfers for them romantically once everyone is healthy and the dust settles. I too agree with others that I like the sparks between Nicole and Rafe but the writers don't seem to be on board with that story. Actually, I'd like to see Hope fall for Deimos. That would totally upset most of the good citizens of Salem! He is more age appropriate for Hope as well!

Back