Rafe and Hope - Yea or Nay?

Do you like Rafe and Hope as a couple?

• Yes

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 29 50.0%

• Total voters
I wish the writers would make Rafe and Nicole a solid couple.
I'd love it, and feel they're both characters worthy of same. BUT I'd fear that since neither's a Horton, Brady, DiMera, or Kiriakis, that might be an easy way to back-burner them. (Though they have toyed with adding the Hernandez clan as a core family, it's just not gelling thanks to crummy writing.)

Jason, that's what I've been saying for years about a Rafe/Nicole pairing. Plus there would be no angst whatsoever. I think Nicole has a better opportunity of screen time with Eric. He is a Brady, Marlena isn't crazy about her, and they have their own issues to work through. Much more angst and storyline possibility.

Jason, that's what I've been saying for years about a Rafe/Nicole pairing.
Word up. We should record a song about this. :)

It is interesting that they seem to like writing Rafe in bubbles. First with Sami (largely due to story and Alison Sweeney's [ex-Sami] pregnancy). Then with Jordan. Now with Hope.

I don't hate them together, I do like Rafe, and I like Hope. But I also would prefer each of them to find someone else. Their "story" has been terrible, was started by Josh Griffith. I honestly think Hope should not be involved with anyone after what all has happened with Bo and then with Aiden. It is all too recent. I wish she & Rafe were just really good friends, as they were in the past. Oh, well.

I agree. Neither character is true to form in this relationship. Rafe was never this needy and pushy before and Hope is able to stand on her own 2 feet. Both characters have been dumbed down significantly to support this relationship agenda and that is not how a relationship happens.

Hope should be mothering her children on her own and grandmothering her granddaughter. Rafe doesn't need to be in these scenes all the time nor do these scenes have to revolve around Rafe.

As for Rafe he should be looking out for his own sister and niece instead of Ciara. And working on non-Hope related police cases.

Bubbles galore.

Somehow, I doubt that Hope being sent to prison will end things with Rafe. He might start his own personal crusade to dig up DiMera-related dirt on Judge Fitzpatrick in an effort to get Hope's sentence thrown out. In the alternative, he and Hope might cooperate to expose some nefarious doings at state prison that will result in Hope getting a pardon and a reinstatement to the Salem P.D. Least likely would be him agreeing with Mami and deciding that he should not be in a relationship with a murderer. (Mami: "This woman is no good for you, Rafael. Suppose you forget to take out the garbage and she gets angry and shoots you." Rafe: "Yes, Mami, you have a point. I'll find a nice girl who can cook and doesn't get mad and shoot people.")

I'm trying but right now I just can't get into them as a couple. As others have said, I preferred it when they were good friends and good cop partners. It's just hard to think of Hope with anyone other than Bo. And I really dislike Rafe's obsessive possessiveness of her. Just seems so out of character for him.

Inasmuch as most Salemites seem to be able to fall in and out of love quite easily, I am guessing Rafe could easily fall for someone else. But yes, people are going to be working on trying to get Hope out of prison, so she will undoubtedly be back.I just think, romantically, Hope needs to be alone and on her own for a while. She needs to concentrate on her family, and her job.

However, I do agree with Heather that the writing for these two has been all wrong. Might have worked for another couple, but Rafe had nearly his whole family move in with him, wonderful big family.......which has disintegrated and been ignored completely. That would not be like Rafe at all. He is very protective of his family, and was good at his job (when he was assigned to be Sami's guard in witness protection). But that person or trait has disappeared, and Rafe seems to hover and smother Hope at times.

And then Hope, her children have meant everything to her, yet she ignores granddaughter Claire, is unaware of daughter Ciara's inner torments, and barely even acted as though she knew Shawn, (when he was in town before).

So both have not been living as the Hope and Rafe of yore.

Yep, I'm still on the nay train. Rafe is still cardboard. I don't know if it's the writing or what but Rafe is quickly becoming the new Daniel Jonas.

How so? Daniel was written into practically every single storyline on the show and performed everybody else's job in addition to his own. He was also talked about constantly in scenes he wasn't in.

Rafe is seen either at cop shop, with his family(rarely) or with Hope and her family. Very much written in a bubble.

How are he and Daniel equal?

I just meant that I get the same feeling that I used to get with Daniel. Rafe is starting to get the huff of exasperation that was reserved for Daniel.

Daniel always had that look of disapproval for other characters. Rafe is now sporting the sad eyes no matter what.

Didn't mean to start a Rafe vs Daniel.

Hmmm, I don't see Rafe getting the constant exposure and insertion into every storyline. Nor do I see him even getting "cop" stuff. He just seems to appear in anything involving Hope. Cop or not, would Hope really get to spend so much in the interrogation room if it was not for Rafe?

I do realize that perhaps on other boards, there is strong dislike or resentment for the character, which is misleading. It is too sad when just a few people can give the impression that nearly everyone is of the same hate opinion, when the opposite could be the case.

If any character is "over-exposed", or teamed up with another character & it is not working, then it is the writers, not the actor who portrays the character. I think the present writing staff have had to deal with a lot of muck, and are still doing their best to get things back on track. I.E. I do not think this team would ever have had Hope shoot Stefano ....at least in the way it was done. And absolutely would not have had the coverup. It is a shame that Josh Griffith so loved to write "dark", gloomy, etc. And even more of a shame he was given such free reign, that Corday did not pull him back sooner. I think his mother would have in the blink of an eye. So would have Al Rabin, who was a fantastic producer.....(I remember when he retired, & the show got into trouble with it's direction, & begged him to return for a while, so he did)

I like the actor. Galen Gering (Rafe) is great and you're right its the writers for sure. He doesn't get constant exposure that's not what I meant at all.

The actor is capable of so much more and deserves more. I just think he had better chemistry with Blanca.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back