Rew's Rum Cake

Rew's rum cake

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chateaurew

Reaction score
Indiana wants me...Lord I can't go back there
okay... I didn't come up with this...it was originally a Bacardi rum cake recipe from way back when in a distant galaxy or something.... but its AWESOME and people will want to invite you back if ONLY for the cake! LOL! and...it's freakin' simple! just takes a little patience... yep! so here goes...

(oh I have converted the measurement over from Canuck metric)
set your oven for 350 degrees.

here are the ingredients:

you will need:

a bundt pan or baby bundts (they are so cute)
dusted with oil and flour with pecans or walnut chunks placed on the bottom

a yellow or golden cake mix (if you get the kind with pudding in it forgo the pudding)
a large box of vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of..... RUM (the darker or the spicier the better!)

for the sauce:
1 cup of butter (1 stick)
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of RUM

additional ingredients
1 glass of rum and coke

begin by adding the dry ingredients together in bowl and slowly mixing with electric mixer. then add in eggs and liquids (rum/milk/oil) alternating. when all is in give that sucker a good spin...maybe a few minutes
observe the spinning as you take another drink.....

so ya know that its really mixed together now? great!

take a drink... you've worked hard. :)

now pour the batter into the bundt pan/mini bundt tins

put in the center of your oven and cook for 60 minutes.

take another sippy poo.

hokay now comes the best part....
the sauce... NOW do this exactly as I tell ya if you don't want to loose the POTENCY!

In a heavy sauce pan, add the butter, water, sugar together and put on a medium high heat... when it starts to bubble continuously stir it with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes straight! (I know..I know.. when's the drinky break coming... it ain't keep stirring..lol) After 5 minutes take the sauce off the stove and place on heat resistance area. LET IT COOL DOWN...AT LEAST 10 MINUTES OKAY!!!! THEN..... NOW WHEN ITS COOL...ADD IN THE RUM AND MIX TOGETHER. YES...YOU CAN HANG YOUR HEAD OVER IT AND BREATH DEEPLY...LOL!

hokay... cake comes out at 60 minutes when.... the oven beeps or you touch the top of cake and it springs back nicely.. should have a golden brown look...may even be really poofy and alas that will drop a bit when it comes out....

okay... take cake out and put on a rack. carefully poke tiny holes ( I use a fork or even a skewer for this) as many times as possible without breaking the cake up... NOW slowly pour half the sauce mixtures by spoon/ladel over the top of the cake...make sure it runs down the sides between cake and pan.
when this is done place a plate over the top (you can line this plate with aluminum foil especially if you plan to ship this one out - good time to do it NOW)
and then flip the cake over...it should slide out really easy because you let the sauce run down the sides right? hokay... poke a few more holes in the new top of cake and then slowly drizzle the remaining half of sauce over the cake

eh voila! if you plan on eating it right away... may I suggest either whip cream and chocolate shavings on top or vanilla icecream..yum...
if you plan to give it as a gift or freeze it.. please please please wrap it well in either the aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
this cake can sit (well wrapped) out for a couple of days
can be refrigerated up to two weeks
and can be frozen...well... I don't know.. I never have been able to keep one that long.

if its been in the fridge and you want it warmed up...nuke it gently..it gets that rum flowing through it again!

enjoy!

gots questions? just give me a call...lol!

sounds yummy, but i'll have to wait a while to try this one, all that rum won't be good for baby. lol

Sounds great, Rew! I love how you get sloshed even when making this cake. :)

Who would of thought to add a poll to their recipe. I love you, Rew! You are fun! :smile:

OH MY GOSH...!!! I have to make this cake....what a great excuse to get sloshed..."Hey, I was jusss baking...!!"
The cake does sound good, will make it and share it with my son, he loves stuff like this....
Thanks Rew, next time you are in the wonderful state of Oklahoma, give me a call and we'll get together and drink a cake or two...!!!

Ohhhh just what I need to qualify for ICD9 codes for alcoholism and obesity. Do you think I could call into work fat and drunk? :D

Yeah, I'm slow sometimes.

I used to make these back in the late 80s - early 90s. They are SOOOOO GOOOOOOD made with <drum roll, please> CHOCOLATE Cake and Pudding mix. Use a GOOD QUALITY DARK RUM. I prefer Meyer's Dark, myself. In the Yellow/Vanilla version, Captain Morgan Spiced rum works good.

The baby bundt, or baby loaf pan ones make excellent Christmas gifts! ;)

yeah....I figgered if I was able to put coconut and maybe pineapple into the sauce...or if the cake base was coconut, pineapple or even banana flavoured (can you get them like that in a mix?) that would help...but I will let you know what concoction I can come up with...or if you want to explore the possibilities too..... :)

I am a coconut freak and love the idea of a coconut version of this cake.

Maybe try using coconut milk in place of the regular milk. There is coconut rum available too. As for the pineapple, there must be a pineapple extract. Or maybe substitute some pineapple juice for some of the liquid ingredients.

I used to make this cake too, but it was eons ago. Will have to put it back on my list. I used a toothpick to poke the holes into which the icing was poured.

Now I'm hungry.

well I got some pineapple rings and I got some coconut and I got a pineapple cake mix. I figure that the coconut can go in my sauce along with some spice rum and the pineapple rings will go on the top (or bottom to begin with :) ) in lieu of pecans. I am going to try and make it this weekend and I will let ya know...if its good enough...I will post the new summertime rummy cake recipe right here okay?

Back