Rew's Rum Cake

Rew's rum cake

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hokay guys...I made the PinaColada Rum Cake and yeeeeeeeeehoooooooo its a winner!!!!
replacements for the original rum cake mix are
a Pineapple Supreme cake mix
coconut cream pudding mix
1 small can of pineapple rings (reserve the juice)
marachino cherries
brown sugar
spice rum
coconut

in lieu of nuts I put the pineapple rings down on the floured bundt cake and popped marachino cherries into the center. Then I put a dustying of coconut over that.
Into the batter went the 4 eggs and the liquid mix consisted of the
spice rum/oil/pineapple juice

the sauce was made with brown sugar/butter and water

always remember to add the rum after the sauce has cooled off. when I applied the sauce to the cake I added another dusty of coconut.

hmmmmmm goood! :)

Sounds yummy. I'm on a gluten free diet (celiac disease) but I'll have to try to adapt this. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun while trying to get it right. ;-)

Way back in the olden days when I went to cosmetology school (and before having to go gluten free) one of my fellow students used to bring rum cake every Friday. They were so good that she got banned from bringing them.

Thanks for the recipe Rew!

LOL! Yeah....I'm thinking I need to rename my cakes to the"21 cake" cause you have to be 21 to eat it.

Gluten free eh? hmmmmm are you allowed sugar? I know you can find gluten free cake mix and puddings....not sure of the variety of flavours though? Also I guess raw sugar is better then refined eh?

I can have sugar thank goodness. If I had to give up sugar as well I'd cry. I'll have to hit the gluten free store this weekend to see what I can find for cake mixes (I've gotten a great spice cake mix there before) and have a go.

you can always add the pineapple or coconut flavour with the pudding or the pineapple juice if you can't find a cake mix beyond the golden/yelllow mix this recipe normaly callls for. Good luck and let me know how it goes. :)

OH REW! Today I make your rum cake!!! OMG :clap::clap: You are my new best friend. It is delicious. I must say I added more rum at each step (LOL) But it is so good. I have to hide it so I don't eat it all. My hubby says it is a hit! i made it with Malibu Rum...

hey!!!!!! That's great...glad you enjoyed making it...it will be a hit with anyone you care to make it for...it used to be the only gift I made for friends at Christmas!

You will have to try the pina colada version next. :)
thanks buddy for giving me the feedback!

rewski

figgered I'd bump this recipe up in time for the Festive Season.

y'all have to try it....got questions...jest ask me.

also...if any of you can figure out a safe way of shipping a fresh rum cake through the U.S. mail...let me know and you will be the recipient of one of my own home baked rum cake. :)

Thanks for the bumper rew! I was going to make this for Thanksgiving, but my husband won't let me. He has his traditional pies (pumpkin and apple) all lined up. He does all the Thanksgiving cooking and baking so who am I to complain? I will make the rum cake at Christmas.

hmm, me thinks you could ship them in styrafoam coolers with a bit of dry ice. That's what Omaha steak does, not that I've ordered from them, but my in-laws do. :D

Try baking them in the large (washed) tomato sauce cans (for example) the mini bundt pans or large sized muffin pans, wrap in Waxed Paper then Tin foil, then packaging them in an empty cookie/popcorn/fruitcake/etc tin for shipping. Try to fit into a Flat Rate box. They ship priority. With all the RUM and sugar, the mini cakes shouldn't spoil that fast.

mmmmmmm spiced rum and coke with a squeeze of lime is my favorite!
But it's gotta be the captaiN! I am gonna make one this weekend Rew. I'll let ya know how it goes :) I'm not much of a cook, but I am an awesome Betty Crocker! LOL

Back