Site issues (April 21st +)

the link was to go to Twitter topic. It no longer works. None of the links I got before
today work. I figure it's one of those computer things
:)

Yeah, sorry. What we had before (version 1.x) had a third-party module loaded which moved all the forum topics to http://www.salemspectator.com/forums/. Now, with the new version, it's reverted to just http://www.salemspectator.com (no /forums/) so any links which exist in the current forum posts are more than likely incorrect. I'll *see* if there's a way to fix that, but I'm not sure there is.

Wayne

Has anyone else mentioned having a blank, white screen come up when going from one forum to another? This started happening to me maybe a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't do it every time but it usually does it once or twice during a visit. When it happens, I click on the back arrow and then click again on the forum I want to go to and it then will open it up. It's not a big problem, just an extra couple of steps, but I thought I'd ask if I'm the only one.

Has anyone else mentioned having a blank, white screen come up when going from one forum to another? This started happening to me maybe a couple of weeks ago and it doesn't do it every time but it usually does it once or twice during a visit. When it happens, I click on the back arrow and then click again on the forum I want to go to and it then will open it up. It's not a big problem, just an extra couple of steps, but I thought I'd ask if I'm the only one.
Good morning,

I sat here for a while this morning trying to replicate the problem in Firefox and Safari (Mac) but haven't really been able to. Anyone else?

Also, I wonder what browser you're using (has it happened in others?) and whether or not you may have an ad blocker running, or maybe a setting out of place (no idea where to begin with that though)

Wayne

Doesn't happen to me, however, I have a problem getting the audio on video clips to play. Not always, and & since I don't have it much on my laptop, am guessing it is this hateful Windows 10, lol. i.e. someone posts a video/audio clip from twitter, I see it, cannot hear. So I try it there on twitter, it will happen again, but I can hear it on YouTube. Mostly, I have problems with those videos done with people's phones. Heck, I was gifted with an iPad 3 mos. ago, and still trying to use it. Ha.

Wayne, thank you for your response. I use a MacBookPro and Firefox. I don't have any ad blockers. There could easily be a setting out of place and I wouldn't know it. I'm not very tech savvy. My son is a computer network technician. He helps me with problems but mostly remotely, since he doesn't live nearby. I can ask him if he can think of anything that could be off, but the thing is, this doesn't happen anywhere other than here on S.S. Still, if it's not happening to anybody else, it sounds like it could be my problem.

OC, I get that big white area once in a while on my laptop when my Windows 10 included anti-virus program is blocking an ad that it thinks may be harmful. (I use Chrome.) The white area is where the ad would appear if not blocked. I just say "thank you", and scroll down the page to see the thread posts.

Squirrel, after just now seeing and replying to this comment of yours in Donuts, I came to this forum and the white screen came up when I tried to get from there to here. The whole screen was white and it wouldn't let me scroll at all or make any kind of comment. The cursor was there but it wouldn't engage to do anything.

Wayne can we embed links? I tried the other icons and none of them worked.
I didn't know if embed was here and if it had a different name.

Instagram changed their system again. I can post a link, but people have to
click the link to go to Instagram to see post.

thanks

There should be an icon directly above where you're typing a response, about middle of the way on the icon bar that looks like a chain "link". Is that what you're looking for?

Edit: This video on Youtube is for a site that uses the same software we do, but don't get tripped up wondering what it has to do with our site. :)

Thanks for trying. Something changed over the weekend, somewhere.

People can hit the links.

I just checked last week's Instagram posts. They're only showing links too.
Just hit the link and you can find the picture or video.

Last edited:
FYI, the box where we type has changed. The preview button is on on the
top in the right hand corner. When you hit preview you highlight message,
but you can't use icons on top.

Something else changed. It's harder to make colors on words. I don't know how
I did part of the message.

testing, I think I figured out color. you hit color you want then type

Last edited:
Egads, what did they do? The 3 vertical dots give more options.......this is tooooo weird. There is actually a MASK which designates an "inline spoiler". ????

this is a test of the spoiler feature

Ya I'm not sure I'm fond of some of the new placement of things. I've noticed on FireFox 81.0.2 I can't highlight a section off, print and then change color or delete.

Trying to fix the Instagram issue this morning, I upgraded the site software to 2.2.1.

The colors and dots thing will need to be adjusted, but whether or not you even see the dots depends on the size of your display and resolution. On my iPad, in landscape mode, I see the three dots and clicking them brings up only 3 more options starting with the - option.. In portrait mode, that number jumps to 7, starting with the smiley face. On my computer monitor with a 2560x1440 display, it shows all the options on one row.

I'm not sure if that option that can be disabled.

Back