Sony Email leaks regarding DAYS

Ah yes, Ted Harbart - ex-prez of ComCast who bought NBC, and current prez of said NBC. He thinks a talk show would be less costly. As it is, yes, the deal was the $775,000 for one year, and $750,000 for the next year. So they locked the deal, not knowing how the ratings would go.

That does seem like a lot of money, but it is the least amount of any soap. Days has a lot of people to pay, just too bad so much of that does into pockets other than the actors & crew. Would be nice if those high ups would shave a percentage point or two off of THEIR take, so Salem would not look so chintzy.
And while I did think the pier was a weird place for so many to use as a short cut, or for meetings, etc. I would rather see that place than Horton square......of course that has shrunk a lot as well.

One of those emails (I was too lazy to go back and find the link) talks of how NBC is giving Sony almost $800K per episode for DAYS (couldn't remember if the actual amount was $725K or $750K) and that's why Sony locked up the 2 year deal in 2013 to get them through the 50th. That was smart of them because if they had to renegotiate a renewal this year given current ratings (the 18-49 demo tied low for 4th consecutive week) chances are pretty slim they would've gotten a renewal especially since one of the emails talks of how a specific NBC exec wants to axe DAYS for another talk show (his name is Ted something...it's in that Daytime Royalty thread). Unless there's a drastic turnaround with the new writers, more and more I'm starting to believe DAYS will end next year.

18-49 demo tied low for 5th consecutive week. Correcting myself since the latest ratings are now out.

@DaysD, the thing is any prime time show created wouldn't be about "EJ" and "Sami" unless permission was received from DAYS/Corday who owns those characters and their likenesses. It would simply be a show starring Alison Sweeney and James Scott lol.

That's like when a couple is super popular in a movie, so different producers try to recapture the magic in another (non related) movie. Look at Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta. They exploded as Sandy and Danny in Grease. But as Debbie and Zack in Two of a Kind? Not so much.

James Scott (EJ) already had the decision to leave so any possible capitalization on EJ & Abigail would have ended up eventually with a different actor.

The show has had a very dismal budget yet do a good job of staying under budget. I think that's why we don't get the larger sets & sets used areused too much.

Two of a Kind was actually a project that Olivia & John looked for together for years. They read scripts looking to work together again, in a non musical. Some scripts he liked. Some she did. They both liked Two of a Kind so did it. The only thing about Grease & Two of a Kind resembling each other is having John & Olivia in it. Those two were completely different characters in both movies, with different writing & a different chemistry. They wanted it & later tried again in song to recapture the chemistry they share. They weren't pawns to producers trying to recapture it.

An actor having inappropriate behavior is not necessarily fooling around (in a physical sense if that what was meant). It could be something said like a curse word in front of a child for instance. But doesn't that fall into an actor's personal life & is fodder for gossip & speculation, the same as Freddie Smith's (Sonny) personal issues that are said to not be mentioned.

deleted speculation, naming an actor, which could be passed on as fact. Poirot

An actor having inappropriate behavior is not necessarily fooling around (in a physical sense if that what was meant). It could be something said like a curse word in front of a child for instance. But doesn't that fall into an actor's personal life & is fodder for gossip & speculation,

Inasmuch as NO NAMES are mentioned, there is NO PERSONAL gossip.

Two of a Kind was actually a project that Olivia & John looked for together for years. They read scripts looking to work together again, in a non musical. Some scripts he liked. Some she did. They both liked Two of a Kind so did it. The only thing about Grease & Two of a Kind resembling each other is having John & Olivia in it. Those two were completely different characters in both movies, with different writing & a different chemistry. They wanted it & later tried again in song to recapture the chemistry they share. They weren't pawns to producers trying to recapture it.
Nothing changes the fact that Grease was a mega hit and Two of a Kind was considered a colossal flop.

And, nowhere in my post did I say Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta were "pawns". Two of a Kind was filmed with the same two actors who made Grease a huge hit and it didn't generate the same level of success, at all.

Sorry if it seemed inappropriate to your sense of humor. That last part was obviously only a joke, with a smiley face at the end.

I agree with what you are saying Just Samantha but wanted to make the point that it was Olivia & John wanting to recreate their chemistry, not producers. Producers wanted to jump on the bandwagon, which didn't go far.

But there were producers who produced the movie, correct??? Ergo, those producers worked on the movie, hoping to capitalize on the success of Grease with Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta, regardless of whose idea the project was.

Either way, let's get this thread back on topic, which is the leak of the Sony e-mails regarding Days.

Alison Sweeney (Sami) and James Scott (EJ) primetime show (spits out water)?? Oh hell no, we had enough Sami and EJ barf-fest, we don't need a continuation of that made into the Sopranos kind of. I never thought of a soap spin off as a primetime show. But makes me more upset, if Days didn't finish the end of this decade.

Let the SORASing begin!!! (Looks at Theo, Claire, Ciara, Christopher, Johnny, Sydney, Allie). What they should do in the last few weeks of Days enter it 20 years in the future, the actors could make themselves look older.

edited to add actors' first names and character names - JS

Alison Sweeney (Sami Brady) seems to be doing fine since she has left Days of Our Lives. She has been acting, directing, and producing, and she has two movie projects with the Hallmark Channel. None of that involves Sami being paired with EJ.

I think the writers at Days of Our Lives forgot that good writing and acting trumps stunt casting, and gimmicks every time.

Oh, my gosh, I am coughing from laughing. Thanks, Heather.....that was .....well, let's say nicely, informative.
O.K. Anyone who watches Turner Classic Movies has heard Robert Osbourne talk of who the studios wanted originally for certain classic movies. i.e. Ronald Reagan & Ann Sheridan were who they wanted for Casablanca! Shirley Temple to play Dorothy in Wizard of Oz.
So...I guess that is the way it goes in recasting, or updating. I mean, who would have ever thought that first Drake Hogestyn, (much taller) could be the recast of Roman Brady....and then....Wayne Northrup comes back, leaves again and it is Josh Taylor. All very different men.

:OT: :eek: Little House? Hugh Jackman I would watch in anything, but him on Little House? Some of these sound to weird to be true ....but this is "Days" people we're talking about....what did they get their hands on ...Rory's stash. :rotfl::back::)

Re: Little House - wow! I really can't imagine Angelina Jolie or Tom Cruise as Ma and Pa Ingalls. Maybe Tom Cruise a teeny, tiny bit - I'm mainly thinking back to the movie Far and Away that is NOT Little House, but at least allows me to "see" him in that time frame. Just wow.

Another slight tangent: I think it is a little bit sad that Hollywood seems to be more interested in recreating old hits, both on the big and the small screen. I mean, I get it - I want to see Mulder and Scully back on screen in the X-Files just as much as the next guy, but it seems to be a recent pattern in the industry. I also know that, after a while, when you release scores of films each year, you'll run out of material. Even music "samples' older songs and people bring back old favorites through covers. But music still seems to maintain some sense of newness and creativity. It's almost as if, in the screen world, they can't think of anything else to do - so let's bring back an old classic and do it better! Except they forget that, even with all the technology available today, most of the time - in music or on screen - the original is better.

And, bringing this back around to Days, maybe that's part of the reason Days and other soaps are struggling so. Days seems to have far more issues than the other remaining soaps, but when they are basically being replaced by talk shows (or "news" talk shows), etc, that not only makes it easier on the pocketbook, but it also makes it easier on the creative side of things. Nobody has to come up with any stories... just take what comes and put your own spin on it. We complain about the lack of original stories, the fact that they rarely surprise us anymore (and I'm not talking about spoilers), etc etc etc, but to me, I just sort of generally see a lack of creativity. And if the Hollywood community is losing or has lost its creativity, I just think that's sad. That should be the essence of Hollywood!

I don't know... maybe it's just me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sept 2016 was the last we see of Days, the latest ratings report has them down in every category.

With the departure soon of Sonny and Melanie (guess she just signed on for 6 months), that won't help.

They clearly have a small budget, they use that office with the window by the door for about 10 different people's offices, the latest being Sonny's office.

The DiMera and Kiriakis houses are now confined to a small den, and the pub has disappeared, just one or two corner tables were saved, it seems.

Supposedly there are only 7 basic plots......and all books, movies, dramas, comedies, etc. are just a variation on one of them. With a soap, what makes it difficult is they must use the same characters, just move them around. Thus we have all the affairs, one night stands, thefts, lies, secrets, etc. etc. Change partners, and dosie do again.

The thing with "classic" movies or TV series is they were a huge success, and "new" material is very iffy. So someone gets a bright idea to remake that same thing, just using different actors. Now, I think most of us have seen many musicals, plays, put on by high school groups, community theater, dinner theater, etc. We recently, on TV, have seen Sound of Music redone, also Peter Pan. Different actors, of course. Whether in our towns, or the movie theater, or the TV set, good basic writing gets the actors wanting to perform, and the audience to come see.
However, I remember a movie that was remade. The director/producers did not change a single word of dialogue, or anything. No updating to present day, etc. However, the actors chosen just did not "fit" the parts.And the movie itself was not a classic by any stretch of the imagination.

It really goes back to the combo. Good writing/strong actors.

The writers can do variations on stories with different characters. I'm not sure why, but for some reason Days of Our Lives and other soaps have gotten into a pattern of doing the same repetitive story lines over and over again with the same characters.

When Alison Sweeney (Sami Brady) and Lauren Koslow (Kate Roberts) were doing interviews about their stories in 2013 and 2014, they mentioned they were enjoying working together because they like each other, and because they were getting to do some humor and dark comedy in their story. I've noticed the projects Alison Sweeney (Sami Brady) is working on for the Hallmark Channel seem to have some lightness and humor mixed in with the drama.

Days of Our Lives shooting schedule is exhausting, and I imagine it would be even more so if the story the actress is in is non-stop misery and unhappiness.

Back