Those &*%$# combo names

I appreciate good grammar with the rest of you. I do have a different perspective on the "combo" names. How many of you have a nickname? Usually, it is a term of endearment bestowed upon you by someone familiar and affectionate. I think for most people using the combo name, it is just an affectionate term, similar to a nickname. It does require an intimate knowledge of the show and characters, so an outsider would have trouble decoding its meaning. When used in malice or as an insult, only insiders (which the author of said combo name has affection for the group they are addressing, i.e. a Soap Forum Members) will understand or be able to decode.

Just a thought:wink: !

I've been watching soaps for nearly 50 years and half the time, I have no flippin' clue who the stupid combo names are referring to. So, just because you watch the show and have intimate knowledge of the characters doesn't mean you know who is being referred to with a ridiculous combo name. I've watched Y&R since it premiered and had no idea who "Likey" was. Took me forever to find out "Likey" was the combo name for Michael and Lauren.

And, people's nicknames are just that, nicknames, they aren't a mash-up of their name and someone else's name.

PowerCouples, that was an interesting theory, about combo names showing affection, as in nicknames. I'm guessing there are a variety of reasons why people use them--different reasons for different people. I personally don't like them and depending on my mood, will usually just skip over them because I don't want to bother with trying to figure something out. By the way, welcome to posting. I like your avatar.

This thread has been a fun read.

The combo name that always made me laugh was "MarDar" which stood for Marlene whatsherface and Darryl whatshisname, the previous head writing regime. I've seen a similar one, called Cartini, for the writing/producing team Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini at GH.

I don't like the combo names either. But I guess it's something we'll have to get used to... lots of people and sites use them. I mean- if I think about it long enough I usually figure it out, and if not, I just move on. lol. some of them are entertaining to come up with... in a conversation with a friend, we thought of some funny ones... example: for Stefano/Kate, we thought STATE... we thought it was silly so we started just making up for random couples, celebrities, or friends.

I was on a site, the heading for a thread said "Days - State" and I honestly thought that the show finally was going to admit to the state where Salem is located. And then I read and find it means something else, and it shows why those names are ridiculous.

And no, why should I have to "get used to them". We live in America, we speak and write English, and should not have to try and figure out what code words mean. There are many readers/posters who live in other countries, English is their second language, and then along come words they do not "get", don't understand them being used in a different context, etc.

I'm not big on combo names and also do not understand all the twitter at first but can usually figure out.

I do however, use LOL a lot and that's usually when I think something myself or someone else said was funny, or I am making fun of myself.

With "LOL", I remember a segment on the Ellen show where she talks about "texts gone wrong". A woman texted her son to say their beloved aunt died and signed off "LOL".

The kid replied something like "why are you laughing about Aunt Mary's death?" and the woman replied she wasn't.

The kid said she signed off "LOL", and it meant "laughing out loud", to which the horrified mother replied she thought it meant "lots of love" and then went on to say she notified everyone in the family of the aunt's death and signed off with "LOL", thinking she was conveying her love for the deceased aunt. Oooops!

:OT: Our county is finally giving us the ability to text to 911 emergency services. There are several rules, though. One is "No text speak". Every word must be spelled out so the dispatchers don't have to guess who, what, when , and where. Two others are no pictures and no abbreviations.

I've not heard of anywhere texting 911. That could be really handy, especially in areas that don't get great reception. Would take the guesswork out of patchy-sounding calls.

On the flip side, seems like they'd get a lot of pranks.

Back