Wardrobe

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just lost my whole big post ......so.....to try and recap. Wardrobe has been extremely negligent in dressing Salemites for midwest weather. Last winter was horrible. While the midwest endured below zero frigid temps, and shoveled mounds and umpteen feet of snow, Salemites ran around in high heels, no boots, halter tops and sleeveless tops/dresses, along with short sleeved t-shirts and light jackets.

What is wrong with wardrobe? A few Salem female characters seem to be dressed well, usually - Marlena, Maggie, Hope, Kayla. Others have really suffered...Theresa, Eve, Sami, Jennifer, Paige, Abby.
Yes, it bugs me no end. Yes, I know many viewers/ posters here, live in warmer climates. But Salem is set in the mid-west, somewhere in Illinois, not far from Chicago. And I was raised there. Have friends still living there. They do NOT ignore weather, nor are the thermostats in buildings set at 80.

And then there are the clothes themselves. I know we all have different tastes, and while I am not a big fan of extremely patterned items, some are really attractive. But overall, the nays outweigh the yays for me.
In my opinion, the wardrobe dept. needs to rethink and adapt.

I agree, but we should remember that the Square has that retractable roof, so it might make more sense that they aren't bundled up in chilly weather in the Square at least. It would be nice to see some more 'snow', fallen leaves, or even dampness (to represent after a rain) on the ground to make it more realistic, heck, even wind (fans). They used to do that at the pier, which again, I really miss.

Did they even show any fake snow last winter on the show? I seriously can't remember if they did and for some reason I feel like they never did or even mentioned anything about snow or cold temps. It really shouldn't be an excuse, but I do wonder if the taping schedule has any effect. That and the fact that the show is filmed in southern California. But seriously, this show has been on for how many years, set in the midwest, all you gotta do is Google "average weather conditions for Chicago (or whatever) for _____ (fill in the month)". While September is usually pretty nice in the midwest it's usually the time of year when you start dressing in layers.

I just find it funny when there's such a disparity between how characters are dressed. You have Marlena going around in tweed-type jackets the past couple months and then other characters, like Jennifer or Theresa in sleeveless dresses. It just makes no sense. I do agree for today's episode the college kids looked like they were more dressed for a mid-summer barbeque than a fall party.

I totally agree with you Poirot. Days wardrobe is insane.

Now I live in Virginia near the coast and our weather is as spastic as Days wardrobe and I've worn shorts in February before but Salem is the Midwest and the characters should dress like that's where they live. They dress like half of them live in Florida and the other half live near Chicago. It's just very weird. I think it was a couple of weeks ago Abby was wearing a sweater that she apparently stole from the set of Flashdance while talking to Jordan who was wearing a sundress.

I hate the pattern pants trend but I can't even blame Days for that one because those ugly pants are everywhere right now.

See, now would be the time for leather jackets. I've been wearing mine for more than a week now, as the temperatures in the morning are now around 5 degrees Celsius (41 degrees Fahrenheit). And, without putting the characters in three or four layers when in the square, a nice long sleeve sweater (not too tight, though, something fitted but nice), some pants or skirt, some boots (the ones you can even wear inside), would certainly be more appropriate than some of the dresses we've been seeing. It's not that hard to find clothes that are not too expensive and fit well. A basic black sweater, a nice long silvery chain and some great earrings, a shiny belt, why not, a fitted jean, and there you have it : classy and nice.

Speaking of dresses, I hate the dress Abigail has been wearing the last couple of days. I really don't think it fits well, it is too tight and her arms and shoulders seem to be pushed up (can't find any other way to say it). Same for the dress Kristen is wearing. It's really not classy (then again, this is Kristen).

Currently Southern California is having a heat wave so let us see what the fashions will bring us in late February/early April, as that is what they are filming now. I'm going to guess more sleeveless light spring dresses, perfect for the Mid-west for that one day in April that allows for hope that winter really is ending.

One thing I hate is the guys, they only wear blue jeans, except for EJ, Victor and Stefano. I don't think Will owns a pair of khakis. Dr. McPervey is the worst, he's a doctor but he looks like a beach bum who needs to wash his hair.

There was snow last year in Salem. It was shown on bushes when
people were in the park.

I think it's interesting how many times Jennifer has changed clothes
the same Salem day. Other characters aren't wearing the same
clothes all day either.

Abby and Paige's dress are too short for the weather, but it's
Salem. Maybe Salem is having a heat wave

Back