Well, I now understand Theresa better

SarahBeth

Reaction score
Holy crap, is Kimberly overbearing. No wonder Theresa rebelled so badly and got into such trouble. Before now this has only been lightly touched on. But now I get it. With Shane gone Kimberly went overboard to be mom and dad and became too overbearing for Theresa to take.

So now without even so much as a phone call to Theresa, Kimberly flies across country and shows up completely unannounced and uninvited. Theresa and baby had just had procedures done and Kimberly didn't bother to even find out if she was up to having any visitors. I get local family coming when you have a baby but still with a phone call first so someone coming from across country unannounced without an invitation first is completely unexpected and ill mannered. It's even more unexpected since Theresa and Kimberly aren't close.

And it didn't stop there. Kimberly comes in Theresa's hospital room (again completely unannounced and uninvited) and just starts pawing the hell out of her. A big hug is one thing but then she went to stroking Theresa over and over and over which started to get a little weird. Then she tells her that Shane is working on getting her legal issues fixed. But it's not because she is now a mother and they don't want that biting her in the butt again. It's because she has come to take Theresa and Theresa's baby back to CA to her home so she can "take care" of them.

That would drive me completely crazy and I can see why Theresa responded with how Kimberly had only been there 5 minutes and was treating her like she couldn't do anything right. Kimberly came unannounced and then basically decreed that Theresa and baby were coming to CA whether they liked it or not.

Until now tptb haven't gone into any detail regarding Theresa and Kimberly's relationship. If Kimberly's actions are any indicator of what is was like for Theresa growing up I can see why she went the way she did. Also it's sad that Kim and Shane wanted Theresa gone and now only want her around because she has a baby. They might as well be honest and just tell her they aren't interested in her and just want the baby.

I don't care how overbearing Kim is as a mother, it's no excuse for Theresa's horrid treatment of other people nor her repeated manipulations to try to hook Brady. Sure it explains their dysfunctional relationship as mother & child, but not Theresa's failings to be a decent human being.

Since we really don't know what went on in CA, we can only go by what we see. Theresa was kidnapped, her fetus stolen, kidnapped again, nearly was killed, got her baby back, but it had a problem, and she donated her bone marrow. I think any mom would be on the first plane out. It was Kim's family there in Salem who notified her.
She came for her daughter, who has been through a lot, and I don't think anyone has informed Kim & Shane of Theresa's antics & escapades.
The fact remains that Shane is trying to get things fixed in L.A. for Theresa, & Kim has come to be there for her daughter who has been through a monumental ordeal. And Theresa doesn't appreciate a bit of it.
There were plenty of other visitors, so what is the big deal? Personally, I don't think the hospital itself handled the situation well in the first place. Why was the baby in a bassinet in Theresa's room initially? No ICU? No protective clothing, etc? But when Theresa got to hold the baby, suddenly she is wrapped in sterility?
So Kim wanted to help her daughter, a new, single mother, and obviously has little regard for the Kiriakis household as long as Victor is around. Let's remember that Kim went through her own trials and troubles with Victor.
Do you think maybe Kim was hugging and stroking her daughter because she was so happy she was still alive, had not been killed by Kristen?

The thing is some people (like me) prefer their privacy when in the hospital. They don't want people just barging in regardless of the situation. They want a call and a plan before arrival. And they don't want to be pawed. A hug, a kiss, holding a hand yes, but not being stroked over and over. I know I wasn't happy and felt barged in on when people just invited themselves into the delivery room just before and just after I had my first baby. If I wanted them there I would have said it. It's not that I dislike them, it's that I was going through something intimate and private with my husband and if I wanted others there I would have invited them. I'll tell you my in-laws were fabulous. I think because they were so respectful I was elated to see them. We told them right after I had the baby since that was before cell phones (lol) and they called before coming to make sure I was ready for a visit.

And sorry but I don't buy that Kim just wanted to help her daughter since she had it all planned out, decided and decreed to Theresa instead of extending an invitation to Theresa and the baby and finding out how Theresa felt about it first. It sounded more like Kimberly didn't think that Theresa could handle being a mother so she was just going to swoop in and take over. It was rude and inconsiderate especially considering Kimberly knows that Theresa does like her privacy. Kim went about it in all the wrong ways.

And you know what; even if Theresa and Kimberly did have a good relationship that doesn't mean that Theresa would want to move back to CA and live with her mom and dad.

I don't care how overbearing Kim is as a mother, it's no excuse for Theresa's horrid treatment of other people nor her repeated manipulations to try to hook Brady. Sure it explains their dysfunctional relationship as mother & child, but not Theresa's failings to be a decent human being.

My whole point was that this does explain the dysfunctional. We've seen why Theresa is horrible. The only family that welcomed her or gave a crap about her when she came to Salem was Caroline but they sure lectured her upon arrival and then lined up to wag their fingers when she did screw up. Also we know that Theresa strikes out verbally to hide how she is truly hurting inside (we saw that several times with Brady after she had the positive home pregnancy test).

But at this point in the story since getting to the hospital, Theresa hasn't had time to start manipulating anything with the baby. Not that she won't but it hasn't happened yet so I'm not gonna hang her just yet. Case in point: she hasn't been shown to be using any drugs for the same amount of time as Brady yet everyone treats him like he's the awesome ex-drug user while they treat Theresa like she's got a coke straw hanging from her nose.

Let's remember that Theresa did NOT just give birth. And she already had UNANNOUNCED visitors, she is NOT married to Brady, he is NOT her husband, and she had sex with others before and after Brady.
And when MY new born granddaughter, had to have sudden surgery, you can bet your life I was on the next plane out there.
And it did not sound to me like Kim thought Theresa was unable to handle being a mother. Not at all. We really only saw a very brief scene, so, we will see what comes next.

And sorry, but Theresa was the drug dealer, the one who got Brady all the coke & weed he wanted. She purposely did so, in order to get him high and get gifts. And her first thing in town was to try and score drugs. She has stolen money from those trying to help her. Egads, she lied to everyone trying to help her, did what she pleased, when she pleasedl. I will agree only that Theresa seemed more able to handle the alcohol & drugs than Brady, but she also was supposed to go to AA and blew it off.

@SarahBeth, if Theresa telling Melanie they would've named the baby after her if it was a girl wasn't a manipulation, then my username isn't cryin4days. There's no way in hades Theresa would've named her child Melanie given the way she and Melanie have gone after each other since discovering who the other was, I don't care how many times over Melanie could've saved that baby. I have no doubt that was Theresa's attempt to play nice with Melanie to keep her enemy close as she schemes to get her baby's daddy back.

Ok after the conversation Kim had with Brady today I think Kim knows full well what Theresa has done in Salem, and is looking out for the best for that baby. She knows darn well what Victor is capable of and how he manipulated other situations that hurt her. I do not blame her for getting her as soon as she found out.

I can understand Theresa not wanting her mother to take over. I can also understand her doing what it takes to get what she wants. Isn't that what we all do in life (go after what we want)?

We may not go about it the same way as Theresa but that is soaps for you. Why let Brady, Mel, Vic & Kim call all the shots? Go Theresa, figure out what you want and achieve your dreams just like everyone else.

Gotta tell ya, OldSoapie, when I did it, my daughter was VERY happy to see me!

I really don't like that Theresa is going to use her mother's concern to cause a problem between Brady & Melanie. Theresa is not thinking of her child at all, only of herself.
And just an aside, but I absolutely DETEST how she resents when her mom (or anyone else) calls her Jeannie......a name she had all her life, the one she was raised with, went to school with, one that all the family called her.
I have a nickname I was called as a kid, and I have relatives who just use it.....it is the name they always knew me by. No, I don't get mad, I get a kick, and I answer to it, and don't say a word. But then Theresa just has a "thing" about the name. Wish we were privy to what it was.

I'm sorry, but I won't swallow the pill these writers are giving me re: Kim/Jeannie T. I'm on Kim's side in this, and to me Jeannie just has a "spoiled little rich girl" problem. Nothing Kim could have ever done would have been right by her. The writers screwed up big time in this story, my opinion.

There is a bigger picture here (not to give the writers any credit but...). As I was watching Kimberly in the Kiriakis mansion today, I started to remember that Kimberly had a relationship with Victor. In fact, when Andrew was born, she thought Victor might be the father as well as she thought Victor might be her father. There's a lot of history there that I wish they would talk about....kinda feel like Patsy Pease (Kimberly) is playing it out even if the writers are not with that history in mind. She is now dealing sharing a grandchild with Victor!

edited to add character's name - JS

I had major major major surgery a few years ago and only had my husband there before, during and right after surgery. My choice. My family showed up uninvited and unannounced while I was in the step-down room (right below ICU) 1 day later and it actually caused a negative physical reaction in me. One that could have been life threatening. So, I can understand the point about wanting to control your hospital visitors. There is nothing wrong with that. Jeannie Theresa is an adult and has that right as does any other adult in the hospital. Even though it may be difficult to understand, oftentimes it may not be in the patient's best interest to be bombarded with visitors, regardless of the relationship.

As for Days, Kim is obviously there for the da plot and nothing more. She is there to create a reason for Jeannie Theresa to further manipulate Brady and the situation into getting what she wants. Nothing more nothing less. Kim being an overbearing mother is not a justification for Jeannie Theresa to go around breaking the law and treating other people poorly.

I'm sorry, but I won't swallow the pill these writers are giving me re: Kim/Jeannie T. I'm on Kim's side in this, and to me Jeannie just has a "spoiled little rich girl" problem. Nothing Kim could have ever done would have been right by her. The writers screwed up big time in this story, my opinion.

I won't swallow it either. Yet another contrived and ridiculous storyline that is a slap in the face to longtime fans of this show. TIIC seem to thrive on destroying legacy characters.

I can understand Theresa not wanting her mother to take over. I can also understand her doing what it takes to get what she wants. Isn't that what we all do in life (go after what we want)?

We may not go about it the same way as Theresa but that is soaps for you. Why let Brady, Mel, Vic & Kim call all the shots? Go Theresa, figure out what you want and achieve your dreams just like everyone else.
When a man has shown time and again he wants nothing to do with you, as Brady has done with Theresa, most women know how to take the hint. Most women certainly don't go to the lengths Theresa has gone through to "get what she wants". And to use a baby to snag a man is the best way to ensure that you never have the type of relationship you're craving because the man will feel forced into it. How many women on soaps has that scenario ever worked out for where they lived happily ever after for even a week?

What we've been told is so limited. But if Kim was anything like she was in that hospital room, then she was very overbearing. Kim even said she was so why not at least try a different approach. While Theresa's legal issue deals were more than likely the product of having parents spending bucks on attorneys, Theresa has been on her own paying her bills since she got to Salem. She hasn't used drugs for a good long time and hasn't needed meetings either the way Brady has. And yes the writers have screwed up big time. Too much left to assume instead of knowing in this story.

Also Theresa wasn't the drug dealer. She knew ways to get it but she never dealt it and Brady was eager to pay for it.

Back