Additional cast members leaving Days

Just as an example, when Brandon Barash (Stefan) was killed off, viewers were outraged, very obviously, it was a mistake. So the suits sought to rectify, (after the scenes were shown to public, having been filmed 8 mos earlier) and hired him back. He has filmed, we have yet to see it. And it all took a lot of time, being we don't get to see what was filmed for 8 mos., thus they don't get feedback til then, thus decision to rectify, get actor back, write story, film.........a year at least.

Some might disagree but I found the only time Gabi was bearable as a character was when paired with Stefan. When he returns I might peek in see what happens.

I am very saddened by the exit of Chandler Massey (Will) and Freddie Smith (Sonny) leaving Salem. They are the best and can only hope that somewhere in their future, a return would be possible. If they can bring back the dead, they certainly can bring back the living, as they have done before. :cry: :cry:

Oh, am sure they will be back if/when the writers can think up decent story for them. Both have been filler for some time, even Will in prison really has been no story, plus laughable he would be cell mates with a man who once tried to kill him.

In addition, Ben is on death row.......Will is not. Why in same cell? LOL

While her pairing with Stefan did make Gabi more tolerable, it was a shame they were constantly "in lust" rather than really in love. Compare them together with John/Marlena, Jack/Jennifer together, in fact any other real "in love" couple, when they first met and were falling for each other. I really did like Brandon Barash (Stefan) as an actor, and hated he was written out.

I wasn't a big fan of Brandon Barash (Stefan). I liked the original Stefan as a bad guy. Brandon looked like a kid trying to play a mobster to me. However, if they were redeeming him to a better person, then he is ok for me, but that rarely happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will and Sonny trying to adopt could have been a great storyline. Days could of taken a page from Jen Lilley's (Theresa) real life book. Will and Sonny could've fostered, fell in love with the little tyke, had to let the child go, Arianna could've been mad at them wanting another child and she could've run away, etc etc. All typical soap stuff but they would have rocked it.

I've stopped reacting to these kinds of stories because while it means they'll leave the canvas, they can always come back. Time will tell if this is just part of what's becoming the regular rotation of characters to keep budgets lower.

Hmmm, doesn't seem like many...Today is April 27...100 more Days .....well, a third is pretty good...!!!

Days made a bad decision firing Freddie Smith (Sonny) and Chandler Massey (Will). I do hope somewhere down the road they will be back to reprise their roles. :cry:

Just my opinion, but this headwriter seems to recycle old stories, either from Days, or from other soaps he once wrote for, so guessing he just ran out of any sort of storyline for Will & Sonny. He has done the 3rd party coming in with both Paul...and Leo. He has had them separated, even bringing in another 3rd party....Evan...with Will in jail. He obviously has no interest in any of the characters writing (newspaper) or even a book. Both of them are parts of major Days familes, so am sure that down the road, we will be seeing them again.

Both of them are parts of major Days familes
The understatement of the century! The very thought that they'd think of getting rid of characters representing the Horton, Brady, Roberts, Kiriakis, and Johnson-Deveraux families is mind-boggling to me.

But you're right - Ron's played all his cards on this couple, short of another breakup/makeup. Unless he sends one of them back in time somehow - he still hasn't done that on Days yet.

Just my opinion, but this headwriter seems to recycle old stories, either from Days, or from other soaps he once wrote for, so guessing he just ran out of any sort of storyline for Will & Sonny. He has done the 3rd party coming in with both Paul...and Leo. He has had them separated, even bringing in another 3rd party....Evan...with Will in jail. He obviously has no interest in any of the characters writing (newspaper) or even a book. Both of them are parts of major Days familes, so am sure that down the road, we will be seeing them again.
If the writers are so set on recycling old plots, it's too bad that they can't watch soaps like Another World and Guiding Light from years ago. I followed Another World back in the 1970s until the show was moved to an earlier time slot, and during the time I watched it, there wasn't a single character who was on the police force, there were no weird sci-fi plots, and the only crime I can recall was when Sven the evil butler kidnapped Rachel and held her captive in a cabin deep in the snowy woods. Similarly, I don't recall crimes being a major feature on Guiding LIght in the early '80s. There were plenty of personal problems, relationship difficulties, and underhanded scheming, but nothing like what is now foisted on the viewers of Days.

It could be one or both actors want out, or just a break..........

But I do agree about GL....with the only outlandish storyline, over quickly, being Reva being cloned, aging very fast.
On Days, we have all the look alikes (Hattie, Bonnie, Princess Gina) then have other personalities taking over (Steve, Hope.........maybe now Abby), and the list of sci-fi stuff is a long one.

I agree - I've consistently stated that shows need to focus on the home & hearth and heartbreak stories, not outré sci-fi and freeze-the-world cartoonish ‘80s supervillainy. It's why I think the DiMeras need to be shuttled out of Salem, among other things. :)

I think sometimes they try to "break the mold" with these outrageous plots to attract new viewers - but it just doesn't work, and if it brings them in for a minute, it doesn't keep them, and it sets a pace that's unrealistic/gets tiresome.

Days made a bad decision firing Freddie Smith (Sonny) and Chandler Massey (Will). I do hope somewhere down the road they will be back to reprise their roles. :cry:
I agree with this; that petition I posted on the previous page (protesting their firing) crossed 5,000 signatures over the weekend. How badly have you screwed up reading the general audience when actor firings (Brandon Barash (Stefan) followed by Chandler Massey (Will) and Freddie Smith (Sonny) garner thousands of signatures in protest? And as much as I don't care for Ron's writing, it's been made clear by those in the know that he wants to write for them. It's various personnel in other departments who keep ending up putting the kibosh on Will & Sonny's stories. They're talking about having another kid again, which tells me they could have had years' worth of story based on that alone, provided the show remains on the air of course.

Oh yeah, and another departure is now openly being discussed over at Daytime Royalty. Unless something was worked out, it appears Camila Banus (Gabi) is also exiting this fall.

Back