Anyone else garden? Flowers and veggies and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say lemon thyme, too. I love brushing by herbs planted along a walk and smelling the aroma they release. I've actually grown dill from seeds bought in the spice section of a store, lol. Not sure if they are an annual, but they grow quickly and need to be kept going. Just reseed often.

I've grown dill before from rooting the bunches bought at the market before they went bad.

To keep away mosquitoes I have a lot of citronella grown. Sometimes walking on the patio smells like it's been dusted with Lemon Pledge. lol

meidrel, you can plant companion plants with veggies to help keep bugs away. I keep marigolds by my tomatoes. They help keep away bugs. Ladybugs are excellent for keeping aphids at bay. For those pesky squirrels, I learned once to keep a few cobs of corn hanging away from the bird feeder & plant sections so the critters go to that instead of my veggies. :)

I have a funny story. My great-grandma, who lives out in the desert, loves her rose bushes! Well, because of her large garden, the gophers always come through these tunnels and eat some of her crop. One day, she was outside and saw a gopher nibbling her precious roses, and struck it on the head with her cane. It died! I couldn't believe that my great-grandma had done this so I cracked up as soon as I heard it:rotfl:!

The pesky critters here are mainly deer, rabbits and armadillos (who like to dig, dig, dig). I've always tried to plant enough to share at least a little, lol, but sometimes they can sneak in and mow a pea patch down to nubs in a hurry. I've always had dogs, so that helps deter them some.

well, ok I need to add to list of veggies and plants.. I have the flower pots on the deck for the Hummingbirds.. just started inthe veggie garden, tomatoes and peppers are in. I also put in brussel sprouts, broccoli, we have aspeargus and rhubarb coming up nicely. I will get to the seeds this week.. (our veggie garden is 30 x 50 so lots of room for cucs )
ok wet dog at the door shall continue later..
Love this thread!!

I have to keep my herbs in pots in the screened in pool area. We live in the forest and no way would I ever be able to keep the deer and rabbits away. Next year if I plant veggies, it will have to be in raised planters and I already have the fencing to go around it.

I had to put the electrice fence around my garden to keep the dog out!! :rotfl: Shewould run in there after the other animals and trash the placewith all her romping.. So now we have a small 3 foot little wire fence to keep the others out too. (actually need to put that back up after I finish planting... )

I had a lot of iris this year too. One stem broke and I brought it in.
Several buds bloomed.

meldrel, you have beautiful colors. most of mine are
the dingy purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back