Anyone else garden? Flowers and veggies and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
meldrel, I can tell you need a recipe on Fried Green Tomatoes... Those pictures are wonderful, and the flowers are so pretty. Really enjoyed the pictures, but must confess I am enjoying it more from here, as when I had the acres into veggie garden, and then the watering, and watching them grow, and then collecting the recipes to cook or preserve them, and then I got older...... whew.. They are beautiful sweetie.

My apologize... I thought the tomatoes were yours too. I think I would take the pictures later in the season and then be ready for next year to show the pictures.....:rotfl: But I love fr green maters.

meldrelDill and cilantro , here, are almost weeds. Especially cilantro. I had some friends, and my teacher as to how to make torrtia (spelling was not my strong suite) that came out to my farm, and walk around the edge of my field, and dig like crazy when they would find certain weeds, and they would lay them straight in the golf cart, and then do it again, and when they came in, they had gobs of cilantro.... smelled heavenly....

Your dinner plate dahlias are absolutely beautiful.... My other favorite flower is Hydrengias...

I have a funny story. My great-grandma, who lives out in the desert, loves her rose bushes! Well, because of her large garden, the gophers always come through these tunnels and eat some of her crop. One day, she was outside and saw a gopher nibbling her precious roses, and struck it on the head with her cane. It died! I couldn't believe that my great-grandma had done this so I cracked up as soon as I heard it:rotfl:!
Along the same vain... My son was seven at the time, and we were camping in the one Park in Northern New York State, and had a lot of things stored in these little totes that we thought were safe, and the stupid little gophers were nibbling at the plastic on his tote, and he really reacted... He swore he would get even....

Bill then was laying on his belly in the yard, and noticed where the gophers were using the lawn as a freeway, and our tent as their own private playground, so he decided it was time to get even. That evening, he took my dish washing soap and squirted some of it down one of the openings of the tunnels, and with our drinking hose, he "rinsed" the soap even further on down the tunnel. He run water and run water, and finally they silly little gophers came popping out all over the yard, and were wet, and bubbles were every where... They were hotfooting it away from the area, and we did not have near the problems with them that we did have. They do funny things, but the rangers that came and talked to him, told him that was a great idea, and was thee to compliment him... they had a lot of problems with them.. and will try that method......:rotfl::rotfl:

Will send it to you.....

Will send the recipe.... I have a lot, or did have,, Amarillis , they look like huge lilies, or the tiger type, but in deep reds, bright reds, or all the way to whites.... our season is almost over though.... just too hot..

meldrel, I raised goats for about ten years, and one of the first years, I also had a garden........ only the first year. I went through a lot of hard work with all the types of veggies, and in Florida, you plant in the fall, as this is the time of year when it is cool enough to grow them. Then one freak year, we got frosts,, real bad ones, so what you do is to burry your veggies with some of the sand, and over a small box or plastic or what ever... But you were telling about your Brussell Sprouts, and you know they grow on a huge long pole in the center and the little baby cabbage heads growing around the pole... As it turned out, we had baby and small sized goat kids that was trying to commit harry karrey trying to reach the Sprouts. We ended up cutting off the sprouts from the centers, and feeding them to the babies, and made some goat kids and teens happy..... Sure did not take long for them to eat all our hard work.... :):rotfl:

Oh you are sre so far ahead of me and the herbs.. do not eve nhave mine planted yet.. it's going down to the lower 30's tonight so I now have to move in the tropicals.... back to the 80's next week.. go figure??
I planted a new stuff yesterday shall get a pic up today (hopefully)

ktspirit, be careful of those armadillo holes. After they leave them snakes like to move in. :eek:

meldrel, beautiful flowers!

Thanks, Sirramix, but that is why we have a Rattlesnake Rodeo here, LOL. Between the armadillo and gopher holes, snakes are easy to find! Not that I want to catch any!!!

Red Squirrel mentioned something in another thread that had me reminiscing. I would love to have a greenhouse. When I was in college and on work-study, I worked in the university greenhouses and arboretum. A couple of professors' prized project was propagating orchids. That became my main job. If you know anything about growing orchids from seeds, then you know what a tedious, time-consuming, expensive process this is. I sure found out why so many orchids are so expensive. If I was rich, I would get an autoclave, desiccator, etc. and try it again! I would love to have even a small greenhouse for so many things!

Today is a red letter day for me!! I finally have all of the raised beds in my veggie garden finished and planted! This is a project I have been working on since I moved in 3 years ago. There are 14 beds of various shapes and sizes. All of them now have plants in various stages. Carrots have just popped those first two little "hairs" above the ground, and the peas are more that a foot tall and blooming. Yay! It will be a good year.

I've never even heard of Lupines, so obviously not a deep south plant, lol. They are beautiful, though, Lil0

This year I am notbecause we are moving somewhere. I had the hardest time learning when to plant when I moved from the Canadian border to Tennessee then Tn to Mississippi then back to another part of Tn then South Carolina now........who the double hockey sticks where. I had a beautiful perinneal garden. My favorite was day lilies. I collected different species. I can grow anything outside but I could wilt an artificial plant. Off the topic of gardening does anyone else but me like hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back