Anyone else garden? Flowers and veggies and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pictures, kt.

Those dewberries look just like the wild blackberries that grow on the edge of the woods about 10 feet from the north side of my house. They're hard to pick because of the thorns, but the birds love them. I like them until the birds poop blue and purple on my car.

Those dewberries do look like blackberries. We don't have wild berries around here but we used to go to a nearby farm and pick blackberries. Even the domestic ones were so full of thorns, we'd wear gloves to pick. And the farm would supply sticks for pushing back branches to get at the berries. Oh how I love blackberry cobbler or blackberries with cream!

Kt, I like the wild plants too. We don't have the berries but we do have wild plums and they make the most delicious jelly! I learned by experience about the trumpet vines and mimosa trees being invasive, after planting both and having them spread. They are both so pretty though. All of mine died from lack of water.

Oh and you know what else spreads? Flags, as we used to call them, or Irises. My parents planted them in the yard here where I live, over 60 years ago, and they still bloom. Beautiful deep purple. About 20 years ago I wanted to clear out some of them so I dug them up and threw them out into the pasture across the driveway. Just threw them on top of the ground. Was I ever surprised when they took root and started spreading!

Yes, it is. I went to a nursery and asked for what was along the highway.
The person should have told me it spreads. I might have put it somewhere else
then in the flower bed.

Interesting about the primrose. I have tried growing it and they just don't live for long - a few weeks at best.Then they die and never come back.

Has anyone ever grown four o'clocks?
They bloom at in the evening and close in the morning - smell divine! And beautiful colors. Mine became invasive and I had to take them all out. Was thinking of trying again but in containers. They'd be nice on a patio or deck in the evening because they smell so good.

RS, the dewberries are thorny, too. I had a dog once that loved them, though, and would pull his lips back to pick them off with his teeth, LOL.
OC, we kids used to get in trouble big-time on the playground at school for going into the nearby woods to eat the wild plums, LOL.
I didn't know you could actually kill some of those invasive plants, folks, lol. You might want to market your technique!
Kat, I have the picture of my tomato, the first one, it's starting to turn a little. I didn't realize until I loaded the pictures I took on my computer that I got a bonus!! Gotta love it!!

tomatodfly.jpg

See the dragonfly/damselfly? I'm not sure which. The largest tomato is about the size of a baseball.

Thanks for posting the pics, kt. It sort of looks like a dragonfly. i have to look
up damsel fly now.

I don't know if it matters, but my dad would take off extra flowers to
make the tomatoes grow bigger. Maybe a tomato grower can verify that.

Yeah, OC, I've lucked out a couple of times lately taking pictures. I'll take several of a subject, maybe one will turn out good. I don't have a fancy camera, lol.

We have these flowering now in San Diego:
Jacaranda. Common in South Africa, and introduced here
maui-jacaranda-tree1.jpg

Coral Tree:
ar127042013351888.jpg

Iceplants:
Iceplant2%20carpo.jpg

And Mexican Blue Palms:
DSCN4958.jpg

I've gone through this thread several times because I've enjoyed everyone's comments and pictures so much! Update on my tomatoes: I found a ripe one today, hidden at the bottom, deep inside the plant. The bottom of it was icky and I found another no-so-ripe one with a black bottom. Looks like I may have blossom end rot on this plant, grrrrrrr. I looked through all the plants thoroughly after that. I did get a picture of one really starting to turn red, though.

1stfruit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back