Days moving to Peacock Sept 12 pt 2

I doubt another network will want Days when their own soaps have dwindled, yet are ahead of Days ratings wise. If Days is a success (however they define it) on Peacock, NBC will keep it. If it’s not, who else will want it? I suppose if Days shows promise in streaming, the producers could shop it to another network when the contract is up, but if it’s a success, why would they want to retool the show again to put it back on network TV?

If anything, if it’s not a success, it’ll just go away. And if it is, look for the other networks to think about moving their soaps to Hulu or Paramount+.

Another network can’t pick them up if they’re not canceled and the contract allows the network to shift to streaming. Days isn’t available.
Yes! I should have mentioned this in my post...the first step is for NBC/et al to drop the axe.

Then the factors in my post take effect.

I think about the outrage of cancelling All My Children and One Live to Live, and then how they were "resurrected" for a very short lifespan on streaming which failed. I'm thinking with this transition, it's going to be a simple "oh, well, if people want it they'll pay for it" and when they see that people aren't signing up just to watch it, they'll have the perfect excuse to cancel it and not have to bow to the fans to bring it back: y'all didn't watch when we offered it up on streaming and it costs too much to maintain without the additional subscribers, so it's dead now, so sorry.

I'm just amazed how it's going behind a paywall EVERYWHERE around the world. Canada's options are all paywall, SKY and NOW are both subscription. Do they really have that large a viewership that they think would follow/pay for the show around the world to do that? It just seemsn odd.

Initially viewers were left with the impression that NBC SUDDENLY decided to boot Days over to Peacock, leaving the cast & crew scrambling. Evidently, that was not the case, unless, perhaps Days was under the impression the switcheroo would not happen til next year so they had plenty of time. But then, NBC could have suddenly decided, the heck with this, let's do it now!. Corday would not move towards improving the headwriting situation, so.....this is it.

But, we can GUESS all we want as to what, how, why........the fact remains, tis a done deal. (and I am only GUESSING, SPECULATING as well), and I think NBC is gonna be sorry for it. Someone said elsewhere, the plans for "replacement" are awful, so they won't get a thimble full of the ratings for the time periods, no matter how they try to switch around afternoon programming.

From the article: Actor Robert Scott Wilson (Ben/Alex) calmly referred to the transition as “a no-brainer”. And when that didn’t settle speculation about the soap getting canceled, things got pretty sloppy.

Well, Robert's major fan base already spend time on their phones, so it's a no brainer for them, but for the older crowd, the folks who don't live in cities, it becomes a more challenging issue, and a huge Brainer problem..... how to get streaming services where none exist.

From the article: Corday talked about how being free of a network will unshackle the soap from some of its prior content-related restrictions. “We will be able to say and do things that are a bit more titillating than on broadcast,” Corday explained.

I guess it's better then on streaming, so I can watch smut while alone, rather than while having lunch with my kids. If I want to watch racier content it really has to be better written than what I'm currently watching.

From the article: Corday’s mood was rather mercurial during the interview.

Well, I guess they talked to him before his 9th cocktail.....

I did like how they called out everyone's little come join us it will be fun videos and Pledge Drives.....

I’m just glad to see someone in the media acknowledge that this whole thing is a cluster.

The streaming situation is very different than when those other soaps went off the air. While I know some in small towns, etc. have trouble with internet, the majority of the country has some internet and streams all the time. It’s not a novelty anymore at all. So I maintain that a move to streaming, while leaving some behind, could absolutely work. They could draw in younger viewers, which they need to survive for another couple of decades, if the show planned and managed this transition and addressed the content quality issues. I don’t see them doing that at all. It’s too bad because this thing could fail from lack of planning and execution—not because it’s a bad idea.

So I maintain that a move to streaming, while leaving some behind, could absolutely work. They could draw in younger viewers, which they need to survive for another couple of decades, if the show planned and managed this transition and addressed the content quality issues. I don’t see them doing that at all. It’s too bad because this thing could fail from lack of planning and execution—not because it’s a bad idea.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

It absolutely could work now - 10 years has brought many changes since the failed rebirth of OLTL and AMC online.

But I fear, like you, that they are not investing in the necessary behind-the-scenes changes, so this will fail; and then, instead of admitting they failed, they will blame the viewers, no matter how many subscribe.

I saw Days on NBC today. There wasn't a crawl during the show to let people know show is moving. I didn't watch the end
credits to see if anything after that about the move.

NBC really doesn't care if it won't show anything during the show. Even an ad during the show is better than after.

Back