Days moving to Peacock Sept 12

NBC is putting a news show in the Days slot. I guess it will be at different times over the US

Hopefully, the NBC stations will put a crawl on during the show to let viewers know what is happening.

It is also disrespectful to those faithful viiewers who are elderly (no offense, elderly does not mean they don't have access to a computer) who cannot use/do not have a computer or other device for streaming.

I prefer my 26" TV screen (in a cabinet) to my 15" laptop monitor. I am on it all day to start with, like to limit my viewing on a computer.

As I might have voiced earlier, it is cruel and unusual punishment for both the cast and all involved with the show, and the viewers, to tolerate this transition. But we can't fight a huge corporation such as NBC. It is not like getting a petition started to save "Cagney and Lacey." Remember that?

Over the weekend, my local NBC station (across the state line in Ohio) announced that starting September 1st there would be a new 5:00 local news cast followed by the regular 6:00 news. They are moving up all of the syndicated shows ...Hot Bench, Dr Phil and Judge Judy... by 1 hour. This was to make adjustments for Ellen going off.

Now in the news stories about Days switching to Peacock, they're saying that the station was caught off guard and learned of the change about an hour before it was announced publicly. They said on the early morning news today that the local station program managers were looking for something to fill the extra empty hour.

If they think they keep going every day with three sets and rotating actors to keep costs down and that's enough for people to pay, they're out of their minds.
I'm with you.

Folks (many folks, not all) on twitter seem to think this is going to be a boon - like every day will be Beyond Salem quality, and viewers will flock in by the millions.

Can you imagine how quickly re-Ron will have to re-run his own stories to keep up that pace? How much that would cost?

I honestly think this is their way of axing the show. News shows are cheap, cheaper than talk shows even. I'm not saying one is needed, but I understand the cost cutting.

Since I don't have streaming, guess that will be the end of me seeing the show........
Me too Poirot, and we probably are amongst the show's watchers, who have been around forever. I am so sad today, i don't have streaming, and was told that since my tvs are older, and not smart tvs, i cannot get Peacock.

I know they can't air really old episodes because I don't think there's a way to split royalties for shows where the deals were done without new media agreements.
If they can find a way to stream Dark Shadows in multiple formats, they can find a way - they just don't want to (and it's harder with a show that has no defined start/stop points other than 1965 and now).

The free Peacock is also available on a streaming device like ROKU or an Amazon Fire Stick that you plug in a port on your tv. However, you do have to have wifi to use them.

Once you sign up for a free Peacock account, you can change it to the fee based Premium Peacock. No Thank you. Not at my house.

Peacook is not even available in Canada because your device has to be in the US or you have to be located in specific locations - I wasn't able to watch the Beyond Salem recent episodes.I feel betrayed by the show. I've been watching for almost 40 years!

You don't need Peacock, Days airs on Global TV here in Canada and will likely continuing doing so. The company that owns Global does not operate a streaming service and they don't really have anything else to fill the time slot so I believe it will continue to air on Global. The move to Peacock in the USA will not affect the airing of the show in Canada as Global has its own deal in place with whomever distributes Days internationally (Sony I presume?).

Beyond Salem airs on W Network in Canada (which is owned by the same company that owns Global TV). Most TV providers (cable/satellite) carry this channel on the basic package so if you subscribe to a TV provider you should have access to this channel and if you don't have it you can add it a la carte. Beyond Salem, Part 2 is currently scheduled to air on Sept. 4, see here: Beyond Salem.

Interesting turn of events, this is quite a shocking move and the fact it was just announced out of the blue 1 month before the new Fall season begins, makes me wonder if something happened recently or if it was a last minute decision?! If the move had been planned, I think NBC would have made an announcement back in May when they announced their Fall schedule. I think NBC want to force people off traditional TV and on to their streaming service.

Moving Days to Peacock gives them guaranteed subscribers, the show airs 5 times a week, year round so this means they will have full time subscribers instead of those who just subscribe for a month or two to watch whatever show they are interested in seeing. Personally, I think the move will backfire on them as many viewers will not make the move to Peacock especially since its on a paid tier and the quality of the show is terrible.

The move to Peacock has the potential to be a blessing in disguise for Days and its fans *IF* the following things occur (which unfortunately I doubt will happen):

1- Replace the head writer, producers as well as everyone else who has any sort of decision making authority over everything we see on screen (storylines, cast changes, sets, etc.). The quality of the show has to increase otherwise what reason will people have to start paying to watch this show?!

2- Increase the shows budget to a respectable level for a daytime drama. They need more and varied sets, better lighting (or lighting period as in many cases it seems like they are not using any at all). You can't get away with a shoestring budget on a paid service.

3- Reduce lead time, stop filming so far in advance and respect the viewer by making changes to story lines or certain aspects that viewers are not responding positively to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember when the show was renewed until but I think this just means it's over whenever that is. Or probably earlier since they can just wrap up things where they are in the filming. I find it hard to believe that they want to do a daily show for streaming. It would have made sense that to just end it on TV and then do specials on Peacock.

I'm thinking the end of the renewal is at some point mid TV season and this way they can start with something fresh at the beginning of the season. And I think MSNBC was going through programming changes recently so this new show could have been from brain storming for that.

Back