Days of Our Lives - Wed. Dec. 11, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess some may laugh, as I will appear to be a dinosaur, but : what is "the cloud" ? :confused: says the French woman not very technically savvy.

"The Cloud" is a way that people can back-up or share photos, videos, documents, etc. off the actual physical device.

For example, I use an application called Dropbox. I share photos with my family through there, can share documents from my job on my home computer for editing, etc.. Even Google will allow you to back-up files from your smartphone onto its virtual drive.

Since it's "out there," I think "cloud" was a term that made sense to someone at some point.

Also, people should remember the Internet Wayback Machine exists, and it has captured things from online from years ago: http://archive.org/web/

:OT: I posted something on the internet when I was 16. It's not horrible, but it's not very good either (I am the only person with my name), and I'm almost 32. The company is not defunct, but the file is there, forever.

Per Wikipedia:

iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service[3][4][5] from Apple Inc. launched on October 12, 2011. As of July 2013, the service has 320 million users.[6]
The service allows users to store data such as music and iOS applications on remote computer servers for download to multiple devices such as iOS-based devices running iOS 5 or later,[7] and personal computers running OS X 10.7.2 "Lion" or later, or Microsoft Windows (Windows Vistaservice pack 2 or later). It also replaces Apple's MobileMe service,[5] acting as a data syncing center for email, contacts, calendars, bookmarks, notes, reminders (to-do lists), iWork documents, photos and other data. The service also allows users to wirelessly back up their iOS devices to iCloud instead of manually doing so using iTunes.

Oh, thank you both so much. I get it now. In fact, I know Dropbox, since I'm in a choir and some of our music is put there to help the members learn it. I just did not know it was referenced to as "the cloud". And JS, to prove I'm not that good with computers, I did not think to look it up on Wikipedia, as I was sure all sorts of clouds would appear, like cumulus, etc. :rotfl:So... thanks again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back