Days of Our Lives - Wed., Feb. 21, 2024

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
39:30 of show and a minute of credits and most of it, believe it or not, is excellent. Includes flashbacks and new flashbacks - for clarity I'll refer to the sepia new flashbacks as "Young Tom" and "Young Alice"

Private Area that's bushy but not the Square Area because it's the past - Sepia-toned Young Alice and Young Tom toast to their first year of marriage with some coffee as they look at the new housing development across the street. (Maybe this is the bushy area, it looks like it.) They love each other; Young Alice is still perfecting her donut recipe. This fades to the modern, burnt French doors and some broken pictures on the table.

Kiriakis Mansion, Living Room - Doug and Julie are sitting on the couch. Maggie comes in and they talk about how Holly is back home by family but still in a coma. Maggie asks if they're ready for this? Julie says it's been cleared by the safety inspector but it will be difficult.

Pub - Kate and Roman are smooching at the bar, thanking one another for last night. John and Marlena come in for some coffee before they all head to the Horton House. Marlena and Kate both made donuts. They talk about almost losing the house in 1986 when Orpheus tried to blow up (I'm guessing RoJohn/Marlena's house). They invited Abe, but he won't be here because of Paulina's heart attack. They briefly consider visiting the hospital. Roman tells of when he and Sandy Horton (Tommy's daughter) used to play together as youngsters.

Spectator "Offices" - Leo is trying to break a ping-pong record when Thomas and Chad enter. Chad was supposed to have the day off, Thomas goes to look for an amphibious car in the back office. Chad tells Leo they're not reporting on the drugs anymore. Leo doesn't think that's right. Thomas comes out. He found his phone. Leo notices a loose tooth, Thomas asks the Tooth Fairy for an advance payment. Thomas wants to go to the house instead of school. Leo asks to come along and learn about the Hortons. Thomas invites him and wants to ride with him.

Horton House - Maggie, Julie, and Doug survey the wreckage. A noise startles them. A fireman comes in and helps them with the chair. The chair is in pristine condition. The fireman knows about Tom and Alice. He removes his hood and it's Lucas. He talks about how much it meant to him when the Hortons accepted him instantly. There's a flashback (c. 1994) to when Alice told baby-faced teen Lucas to call her gran or grandma, or nanny; anything but granny. He tells them they can't tell anyone they've seen him. Later, Doug is gone and Lucas explains his release is legitimate but his life is in danger. Julie remembers a time she and Alice shared memories (flashback to I'd guess late 1990s).

Sepia world again - Spring, 1931: Pregnant Young Alice sits on the blanket with Young Tom's help. Young Tom reminds her twins run in the family. She thinks one will be enough and worries about her looks. Young Tom hopes they can move out of the small apartment they're in before the baby arrives.

Horton House - Roman and Kate arrive. Lucas and Kate explain that Clyde is after him. This worries Julie. Roman goes to check on the appliances, Lucas goes to eat donuts. John and Marlena arrive and give Maggie their condolences. Marlena remembers when she came from Colorado, how Tom and Alice welcomed her to the town. Flashback to 1976 when Marlena and Tom/Alice discussed Mickey's amnesia. Maggie expresses gratitude that Marlena helped bring Mickey back. Marlena says "And here we are, 40 years later, standing in front of the most iconic chair in all of Salem." It's been "30 years" since Ro-John and Marlena lived next door. (Note: John refers only to "us" and not to the fact he was thought to be Roman at the time.)

Horton House Front Entry - Thomas and Chad arrive. Everything is burnt. Lucas exits the kitchen and Thomas greets "uncle Lucas". Chad rushes Thomas and Lucas upstairs and tells Lucas about Leo's being here. They leave. Leo enters through the front door, Julie comes out of the kitchen. She is shocked, but Leo is here to learn about the Hortons, not as Lady Whistleblower. Leo asks to learn about the First Family of Salem. Julie is stunned.

Sepia world (it's the area where Julie/Doug sat after the fire but with old fashioned lanterns on the brick wall) - Spring, 1932: Young Tom and Young Alice talk about her mother babysitting and Young Alice announces she's pregnant again. Now Young Tom wants to move to the houses across the street.

Horton House, Tom's Chair - Doug and Julie tell Leo (Maggie's there, too) about Tom and Alice, who married on March 7, 1930, when Tom was a medical student. They had twins, Addie (Julie's mother) and Tommy, then prominent lawyer Mickey (who married Laura and Maggie), then Bill (father of Jennifer and Michael and Lucas) who brought Doug to town after they met in prison. The Hortons helped him changed his con-man leopard spots. Then came Marie, who fell in love with Tommy and then became a nun. They joke of the complicated Horton history. Julie talks about her mother marrying Ben Olson and having her and Steven, and later marrying Doug, whom she married after Addie's death. (This is how it's described on-screen.)

Horton House, continued - Maggie tells Leo the Hortons have had their share of drama. Mental illness, addiction, infidelity; Doug adds, "...stranglers, stalkers, and demon possession." Tom & Alice helped hold everything together. They talk about Tom & Alice's song, "Always," which Doug sings with Julie and Maggie joining in. Leo asks permission to do a story on the Hortons, and promises to do them justice. Julie approves if Chad has final say. He leaves, with Maggie showing him out. Doug sings "Always" with Julie. There's a flashback to Doug singing "Always" with Tom and Alice (late 1970s I'd guess).

Horton House - Kate and Roman come into the living room. Roman tells Chad, Maggie, and Julie the appliances will need to be replaced and rewired. Thomas and Lucas are still upstairs looking for toys that can be salvaged. Chad says at the end of the day, it's just things they've lost. John and Marlena come up with the boxes of ornaments, untouched by the fire. Julie is overcome.

Sepia world - Christmastime, 1933: Young Alice talks about how much suffering there is in the world. She wants to run a center to help people while the kids are in school and Young Tom's at work. She wants to show him something she bought. It's the ornaments, and she also has one for each of the kids: Tommy, Addie, and Mickey. Someday they'll add their grandchildren, and maybe great-grandchildren. Young Tom says they'll need a very big house.

Horton House - The ornaments (we see Doug and Julie's) are in perfect condition. Julie can't wait to tell Doug, who is talking to their neighbors, Dan and Dave. Maggie finds Tom and Alice's ornaments (the new ones, as seen in the flashback). There's a flashback of Alice gifting Hope an ornament marked "Baby" for the new great-grandchild (Shawn-Douglas). Her audio continues as we see shots of the ornaments for Eli, David; Carver, Jules; (no audio) David Abraham, Lani, Carver, Eli, Jules, Mackenzie, Mickey, Maggie, Sarah, Victoria; and finally, Marie, Addie, and panning up to a flashback of Alice placing her and Tom's ornaments, saying, "I love you, Tom." Now, Marlena says, "What a legacy."

Horton House, Living Room - John and Marlena are at the step. Roman, Kate, Lucas, and Chad are by the French doors. Thomas is playing by the fireplace. Lucas missed his family. Thomas is waving a poker around. Chad tells him to put it down, will count to three. On two, Thomas says, "one, two pitch!" and smacks the fireplace. Something falls from the chimney. It's a box. Lucas picks it up, says it's a time capsule. It's signed by Alice, dated 1966. "With all my love, to be opened on or after 2016." Soap stares from the visitors.

Sepia World - Christmastime 1934: Young Tom and Young Alice are walking, the young mother is discussing the gifts she got (a plane for Tommy and a Shirley Temple doll for Addie). Young Alice notices the house she secretly wanted was sold. Young Tom tells her wishes sometimes come true. He shows her a key, Alice's father gave them a down payment. They embrace.

Horton House Living Room - John, Lucas, and Roman are studying the box as Maggie, Marlena, Kate, Chad, and Julie anxiously wonder what it contains. Roman's not sure they can open it. Chad and Thomas go to help. Maggie is looking out the doors. Julie asks what's on her mind. Maggie was thinking of when Tom passed away. Julie is still inspired by Alice. Maggie remembers when she and Alice lived in the house alone after everyone else was gone. There's a (strangely lit) flashback of Maggie entering the room and kissing Alice as Alice is sitting alone in the chair by the fireplace.

Spectator Offices - Leo's story talks about how 545 Sycamore Street was the centerpiece of the town where townspeople gather to laugh, cry, and celebrate. He writes about how Tom and Alice were beacons for the community, and how these values were passed down to their 5 children, 10 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren, and now great-great grandchildren as photos from the past scroll by. Leo continues (he's thinking) that the Hortons accepted many into their family as honorary members, and that the legacy of Tom & Alice lives on. But someone tried to destroy that legacy, an arsonist, but he has failed. The Hortons' legacy cannot be destroyed and will live on, and continue to grow stronger as the family unites to rebuild.

Sepia World - February, 1935: Young Tom carries Young Alice over the threshhold and into the living room. He welcomes her to their new house. She says love will make it a home. They embrace.

Placard after the show: In loving memory of Bill Hayes 1925-2024
Good Night, Sweet Prince; and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

Last edited:
Wow, why can't they write episodes like this regularly? It sounds beautiful.

She wants to show him something she bought. It's the ornaments, and she also has one for each of the kids: Tommy, Addie, and Mickey. Someday they'll add their grandchildren, and maybe great-grandchildren.
Guess the scab writers didn't know that Tom's mother created the first ornaments as a gift for Tom and Alice.

10 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren
I wanted to count this, for the record:

10 Grandchildren: Sandy; Julie, Hope, Steven; Sarah, Melissa, Mike; Lucas, Jennifer; Jessica (10=10)

15 Great-grandchildren: David; Shawn-D, Ciara, Zack; Spencer; Mackenzie, Victoria; Nathan; Jeremy; Will, Allie; Abby, JJ; Nick (I can't reach 15? Whom am I missing?)

Great-great-grandchildren: Scotty, Eli; Claire; Baby Bo and Baby #2 Weston; Arianna Grace; Henry; Thomas, Charlotte

Great-great-great-grandchildren: Jules and Carver

Just Samantha, whom did I miss?

Wow, why can't they write episodes like this regularly? It sounds beautiful.
It really was. It puts the fire into perspective as a story point. Great use of Lucas and stellar flashbacks. I'd have preferred a few additional Hortons dropping in, but I understand budgetary limits.

I wanted to count this, for the record:
10 Grandchildren: Sandy; Julie, Hope, Steven; Sarah, Melissa, Mike; Lucas, Jennifer; Jessica (10=10)
15 Great-grandchildren: David; Shawn-D, Ciara, Zack; Spencer; Mackenzie, Victoria; Nathan; Jeremy; Will, Allie; Abby, JJ; Nick (I can't reach 15? Whom am I missing?)

Great-great-grandchildren: Scotty, Eli; Claire; Baby Bo and Baby #2 Weston; Arianna Grace; Henry; Thomas, Charlotte

Great-great-great grandchildren: Jules and Carver

Just Samantha, whom did I miss?
They always included Janice (Mickey and Maggie's foster daughter) as a grandchild, so that should be 11 grandchildren.

And you got all of the great-grandchildren, unless they're also counting Chelsea as Hope's stepdaughter? Which would also include her baby, Isaac, as a great-great-grandchild.

I liked the throwback to the past with Roman mentioning he grew up with Sandy Horton (Tommy's daughter). Granted, that's newly created history, like saying Bo and Hope grew up together as kids, but it was a nice nod to history.

Just realized great-great-great grandchildren would also include David Abraham (Eli and Lani's stillborn son). You could also include Julie's stillborn son (Robert Anderson, Jr.) as a grandchild.

Granted, that's newly created history, like saying Bo and Hope grew up as kids together, but it was a nice nod to history.
I was going to mention that, like Mike and Carrie eating together at Horton barbecues, but it didn't fit anywhere. Knew you'd catch it! :)

I'm trying to upload a gif of the montage, but the file sizes are too restrictive. Still working on it.

Just realized great-great-great grandchildren would also include David Abraham (Eli and Lani's stillborn son). You could also include Julie's stillborn son (Robert Anderson, Jr.) as a grandchild.
I would be genuinely surprised if the writers included Bob, Jr., when counting, but it’s possible - Leo specifically states "the spirit lives on in the 10 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren..." but I'd imagine (overthinking this here) he just got the number from Julie?

My hope is it's a doorway for a character being introduced.

My fear is they were lazy and counted Eli as a great-grandchild.

If the scab writers didn't get it right that Tom's mother created the first ornaments as a gift for Tom and Alice, getting the actual number of grandkids, great-grandkids, etc. wrong doesn't surprise me. Plus, with steps, fosters, stillborn babies, etc., hard to guess just who they were counting.

This was a beautiful episode in so many ways. It disturbs me that we praise their work and yet still use a derogatory term to refer to these writers. Can we please find a neutral term, temporary writers, substitute writers, fill-in writers? I've been surprised all along that the admins have allowed this when I don't think they would allow a pejorative to refer to any other group of people.

Back