Days renewed for 2 years!

Also, I am GUESSING that since the headwriter, Ron, doesn't care what a character's personality has been established, & wants to have them say/do something out of character, which viewers resent, he uses mental instability as the excuse......not his lame brain plot.

The headwriter calls the shots, writes the stories, etc. NBC can say NO to a storyline, or make a scene be cut, etc. But they do not say what to write initially.

If NBC can nix a storyline or force him to make changes to something he has written then how does the head writer call the shots?! The head writer may be allowed to come up with his own story lines but if NBC has the final say then they are ones with the power here NOT the head writer.

In the end its all moot, it looks like Days fans are stuck with this guy as head writer. It would be interesting to know why they won't make a change- does no one else want the job or is this the only writer they can afford?

Days has gone thru a string of writers over the past several years. There are not many soap writers left, and other writers perhaps don't want the job. It is one thing to write a movie, or one episode a week.......writing 5 is challenging. They have to keep adding things in to use up the time, but still keep it interesting.

Guess we just think differently. Head writers calling the shots, means they think up and write story initially. Their ideas. NBC reads, nixes something perhaps, but it means the headwriter has to then put in something else. They write characters in and out. Ron relies heavily on bringing in past characters, since ones he creates don't go over well most of the time...(not all, just most) and that is usually because of his writing, story, etc.
Days had Sheri Anderson (wonderful writer) as a consultant. She knew history, knew characters, their strong points and weak ones. She soon was gone. Not a peep as to why from anyone. Fine. But Days definitely missed the boat there.

We don't know if Days might be contemplating replace current headwriter when contract ends. I do remember that in order to get rid of Reilly, they had to continue to pay him, tho he was no longer writing. Learned a bitter lesson there. Since every one ordered to keep their mouths shut, etc. we just can only speculate, and are usually wrong.

When these stories started going south I thought it was sad they didn't take the opportunity that 5 hours a week gave them. You have the ability to actually explore relationships. For example we could have seen more of Nicole and Rafe hanging out and getting closer while their feelings changed. Instead we had them winning that bear and then not much of anything until they all of a sudden seem to recognize something.

Instead they take an entire week to get through one day if we're lucky. Probably everything that happened this week could have been handled in two episodes.

I wonder how much the relative ratings matter. We're down to only a few soaps. I'm not sure how much the published ratings take into account streaming -- not DVR views from traditional cable subscriptions within 3 days or whatever -- but views on Peacock or catchup TV on streaming TV services (Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, etc.). The launching of Peacock itself could make this worth keeping as one of many pieces of intellectual property that are exclusive to NBC, and we'd never see those numbers. And they can repurpose this content at will across platforms.

He's right about the residual payments that have to be figured out for actors, directors, and writers from those episodes. But I bet a bigger cost would be the music.

I sometime think that Corday lives in another world. He really thinks we like what's happening. And while I really do appreciate that the we had fresh story throughout the whole pandemic, I hate that they are so far ahead that things can't be fixed when they are not working.

A few interesting comments I found in the article and none are good for us long suffering fans that want change:

1- He mentioned that 'no major changes' will be coming. I guess this means he thinks everything is fine with the show?

2- The insane shooting schedule will continue and if the never-ending pandemic does end they will likely ramp things up again and eventually be back where they were before the pandemic started, shooting 6-12 months ahead. :rolleyes:

3- The best comment in the article from Corday which I find hilarious: “This show is successful due to the fact that we tell stories about romance, adventure, and intrigue,” (Is he watching the same show we are because I see no romance or adventure, unless he considers infidelity & drunken sex to be romantic or believes revenge plots & kidnappings constitute adventure?

Interesting comments regarding old episodes, I hope they can work out the issues that exist, open the vault and start airing old episodes again. It would be great to be able to go back and watch older content from Days golden era. I think I would enjoy watching stuff from the 80's & 90s more then the present day episodes.

It's so hard to believe anything he says.

That said, nobody is surprised about the challenges of streaming old episodes. Everybody already knows that stuff. Work on it, Ken. Stream what you can. There must be some portion of shows negotiated under current contracts - and if not, work on your big years first.

Back