Departing...arriving part 15

Wow, Terrell Ramson, Jr. who played young little Theo for 7 years, will be appearing I think on Friday, as new character, Jerry Prentiss. Probably has scenes with Cameron Johnson, current Theo but just guessing.

She shot Stefan, (and we all know he is now alive again, like most Salemites, death is short lived. She is daughter of Abe & Paulina.

Lani went to jail for killing her biological father, TR Coats when she walked into Paulina’s apartment and saw Abe lying on the ground. There was a whole cover-up story involving Eli and Paulina, but the truth came out. Trask wanted to throw the book at her, but backed off when Abe and Paulina reminded her of TR’s past as an abuser. Lani is serving the minimum prison sentence, so I’m sure she’ll be getting out for good behavior to explain her return.

So, Lani confessed to the completely justified killing of her sperm donor in June of last year (or early July)? And was quickly shipped away "out of State". Viewers reacted.

Now, 12 months later, we see the fallout with her return? I wonder if Days will ever learn its lesson?
It's crazy to me that Lani gets shipped away and actually serves her "undeserved" sentence, while Kritter and Megan get pardoned and get to walk free. :head scratch: :head scratch: And more than that, I thought that Kritter and Lani were kind of friends, in a twisted way. Why wouldn't Kritter have sought to get Lani pardoned also when she got out the first time?:head scratch::head scratch::head scratch::head scratch::head scratch:

Lani was totally and completely justified in shooting TR Coates, and SHE gets the book thrown at her, locked up, and practically the key thrown away. I'd not be surprised if they didn't throw her a piece of bread and water while the REAL criminals get set free to further terrorize the citizens of Salem. Sure THAT makes perfect sense !!!!!:whack:

Why wouldn't Kritter have sought to get Lani pardoned also when she got out the first time?
Not to give Re-Ron too much credit, but they did explain this on the show - they got a pardon from the Governor, and Lani's in another State so out of the jurisdiction. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't hold legal water, but why would we expect it to on this show?
actors wanting out for whatever reason, and for whatever length of time, you do the best you can
Right. You recast if you have story for them, or you write them out in a way that makes sense. Days regularly chooses to do neither of these things. It would have been just as easy to have an old friend from Florida offer Lani her dream job or have an old Washington buddy recruit Eli.

Instead we got an already over-written and under-thought story abruptly ended to suit an actor's whim.

I'm trying to remember the name of the writer/producer who said you need to "actor-proof" your stories. I despised it at the time but Days practicing the alternative seems to give it new credit.

Not to mention they could have just had Lani in another part of the state. The only way she ends up out of state is if she was in federal custody. They make zero attempt ror anything to be real. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if they discussed writing that she was sent to jail in London since Salem and London are one big legal system.

And I'm sorry but do we need more people returning for a long period of time? We already have poor writing for the people there and characters disappear for weeks and I forget they even exist. Belle, Shawn, Wendy and Tripp could have never come back and it would have taken someone mentioning them moving for me to notice. I love Justin but I even forgot about him until he popped back up. I'd rather they pay a smaller group and write decent stories but they'd have to come up with something other than rotating beds.

If I remember, they didn’t want out so much as the actors and the show couldn’t agree on maintaining their larger roles. They were either demoted and chose to leave instead or they thought they were getting reduced roles and the show dropped them altogether. I don’t totally remember. But I remember he expressed surprise at something the show did.

We can never know what the work-life situation is for other people. Maybe being held on a string with a reduced role (and probably money) doesn’t work for some people. Maybe it made more sense to leave and be completely free to pursue other things—from other work to time off—vs be in limbo with a reduced contract. I don’t know that the grass was greener and they’re crawling back now.

I’m glad they’re back. I hope they get written as a family and aren’t immediately put in a love triangle or some other situation like that.

Don't remember hearing/reading anything about reduced roles. I do remember some wanting to do other things, stage, other shows, or to honestly spend more time with spouse and kids. (Peter Reckell/Bo sure has proved that for himself, since leaving.) But sure, getting the feeling you are not appreciated or still considered front story would result in hurt feelings, and "I'll show them" thoughts.

But.......once upon a time Doug & Julie were front runners, as was Maggie, Victor, Mickey, who were moved a bit back for Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla, Jack, Jennifer......who have now been moved a bit back for the next generation. The thing, tho, is......better writers and storylines back then. Ah, well, time marches on.

Back