Departing...arriving part 15

When Mickey Horton passed, it took several months before Maggie came downstairs to say Mickey had died.

When Shawn Brady passed, we knew right away, as he gave up his oxygen mask to save Bo, same for Caroline Brady, who was the victim of a serial killer. If I remember right, she was found dead in the church. (tho the actress opted to "retire", thus was able to film Caroline's "death")

On Days, so far, no reference to Victor's current health, but they should be dealing with it in the near future. John Aniston (Victor) passed away last November, Days films 5-6 months ahead of what we see, and it does take time to write & film script to deal with something like this.

The actor who played Mickey didn't die in real life (actor John Clarke) when Mickey died. John Clarke retired in 2004 (he died in real life in 2019). Mickey was then recast 3 times from 2004 to 2008. He was last seen in 2008, as played by Kevin Dobson (Kevin Dobson didn't die in real life until 2020). After Mickey's last appearance on-screen in 2008, he was always in another room, at his office, or visiting someone. Days had Mickey die in 2010. That's when Maggie came down the steps to say he had died (heart attack) while packing to go on a cruise with her. She tried CPR but was unsuccessful. Hope called 911, but it was too late.

Frank Parker (Shawn Brady) retired in 2008, but he didn't die in real life until 2018. As you noted, he died on-screen by giving up his oxygen for Bo (as a result of a plane crash arranged by Ava Vitali).

Peggy McCay (Caroline) retired in 2016. They had Caroline go out to California to be with Kimberly while getting treatment for "Topits disease" (which was a rewrite of her Alzheimer's storyline, the fictitious Topits disease had a cure). Peggy died in October of 2018. Days had her die off-screen in California in June of 2019. (Caroline was written out of Days in 2003 during the Salem Stalker storyline in which she died in church (from being poisoned) during the triple funeral of Abe, Jack and Maggie. But she was found to be alive with the rest of the "dead" Salemites on Melaswen in 2004 and continued to be on the show until Peggy's 2016 retirement). Days hired a lookalike actress to play Caroline's "spirit" as she looked in the pub window, while her family raised a toast to her after she had died.

The 3 recasts of Mickey from 2004 to 2008 were terrible (not due to the actors, who were all great, just not as Mickey). They seemed to age him by several years with actors Richard Voigts and John Ingle (best known as Edward Quartermaine on General Hospital) before de-aging him with actor Kevin Dobson (best known as Mack MacKenzie on Knots Landing).

What I said about recasting above definitely does not apply to 10+ year vets and certainly not when the actor has passed in real life.
Probably the best recast of a veteran character was John Martin as Bill Horton in 2010 when he came home for Alice's funeral. But that's a rare exception.

3674e99bfd115a5618538d9237a1aa27.jpg

I’ve grown to accept the Jennifer recast (though I know others haven’t). I don’t miss Missy Reeves, and they replaced her with a solid soap veteran. I think Hope could also be recast if they wanted. I think she’s in the same league as Jennifer. They just need to use an experienced veteran who slides in without making a lot of waves. Bo was recast once. Where’s Robert Kelker Kelly (ex-Bo)?

Victor was a lot more distinct and assertive in personality. He was iconic, not just the character. You can’t recast that role unless you found another Greek actor with that snark and timing.

I don't care for the Jennifer recast at all.

I did not like Robert Kelker Kelly as Bo.

There is only 1 Bo in my book and that is Peter Reckell.

Don't want to see a Fake Hope.

I don't even like the Fake Kristen DiMera recast.

Lets not even go to the Vivian Alamain recast!

Doesn't matter who they get to replace the established actor/characters I have a hard time seeing another person as that character.

Recasts with 10+ year characters are possible, but trickier. TinaY, I agree about Jennifer, that was well done (or as well as anything the show does lately). Recasts on longer term characters need more time and space and/or a story to explain it coupled with -for lack of a better term- mimicry of the original performer, for at least a little bit.

Many characters have been recast after being rested. I would advocate for a Hope recast in another 2-3 years if there was story and Kristian Alfonso is selling enough jewelry to turn the show down (if they were to ask her back).

Both Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso (Bo & Hope) left of their own accord, tired of the pace, the lack of decent story, but mostly just wanting a rest from it. Heck, when Kristian did her last Days show, she happened to run into Alison Sweeney (Sami), & agreed immediately to guest on one of Alison's Hallmark series.

But both Peter & Kristian said they just would not return, were tired of it all. Eventually, evidently both agreed to do something in the Beyond Salem area, but evidently now, they might guest on regular show, but are not interested in full time. Peter wants to spend time with his family, so does Kristian, besides perhaps getting to something else short term

Back