Departing

There's still a strong chance for his return, yes he may move on. But perhaps the writers can put their heads together and come up with a storyline for him to bring Steve back before he finds other work. Maybe its past the time mentioned because the writers may not have anything interesting yet for Steve. Just guessing.

Eras - exactly. As much as this stinks, at least they didn't kill him off or put him in a stupid spat with Kayla over Stefan. This way they can go back and pull off a "big rescue" storyline, perhaps even something interesting like a band of them going off on a Stockholm-style mission. I'd love that.

I just came here to say in my opinion Steve being arrested for espionage off screen is the most disrespectful thing since Bo disappearing into thin air...(I know that’s not exactly what happened, it is a opinionated oversimplification). I am glad he doesn’t just up and leave Kayla over the bionic eye but espionage is opposite of who Steve is. I hate when the writers practice character assaination on the characters I have come to love. (Put that way because I am not sure if Steve is technically a legacy character.)

Last edited:
What annoys me the most is that the powers that be have made a move to save money. I think, whether they invite him back at some point or not, this is a move to leave him without a paycheck so they can save money by exploiting the actor. If he finds another job and moves on it will be a great loss to this show; I wouldn't blame Mr. Nichols at all if that is his choice. He has his own financial responsibilities as well as his desire to do that which he is trained for and so very good at. Bravo to Stephen Nichols.

@ticeland - Probably repeating, but Stephen Nichols came on to Days for what was to be a 3 day stint. All these years later, he is still here. Like other characters, he has been off the show at times, but brought back. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) the same. Maybe because her character was made a doctor, and there are very few of those around, she was brought back more. But legacy? Oh, absolutely! But then, Days of our Lives began with the Hortons...Those are hard to find now. The Bradys joined them. Also hard to find. DiMera was in and out, out and in, but then settled in Salem as well. Kiriakis clan was Victor. Period. Then came Justin, a nephew.

Days no longer has core families, but they easily could. But the turnover in writers just changes the show over and over. A couple like Steve & Kayla, is like Doug & Julie, John & Marlena, Jack & Jennifer. Forever couples, ones the audience enjoys seeing. And yes, they all age, and it is understandable to bring in new blood, have the youngsters grow up. But those youngsters want to stretch their wings, etc., are not willing to just stay with the show long term. That is why it is hard to understand why the show doesn't stay invested in those willing to stay.

Heck, networks cancelled so many soaps, and the replacements do not garner the audience, the ratings, nothing. So there is a merry go round of talk, game, news, or whatever, as they ALL try to find something that will bring in the numbers & $$$ their daytime dramas did.

Steve and Kayla are connected to 2 legacy families and have 3 kids between them that are in the age range that is sorely needed on this show. Both also have careers with ample story opportunities. How could these writers not want to write for them? And furthermore, how could Ken Corday and Greg Meng allow this to happen?

I was actually looking forward to the fallout from this bionic eye story. It's rare that a solid couple gets a good story that doesn't involve an interloper. Instead we get a farce of an exit.

This is just my prediction but I don't believe Steve (Stephen Nichols) will be gone long. Unless he signs back on with GH but fans have been pretty vocal.

I always knew Vivian would be back despite her million protests that she wouldn't.

I was right about Bo eventually coming back.

I'm hoping for three times lucky and that the people in charge at Days will secretly film Steve and say something like, "we listened to fans......". Blah blah blah.

Anyone read this?

https://soapdirt.com/days-of-our-lives-spoilers-stephen-nichols-back-to-dool/

Back