Downton Abbey -Season 6 - the last season

It was a great show last night.

I'm upset Mary got someone and Edith may have missed out again.

I figured Cassandra Jones would be a man. Surprised who it
turned out to be. Bananas :)

Barrow loves the children. Can he be a male nanny?

Good episode. I was surprised that Mary got married. I was starting to think that would never happen because nobody was good enough.

I, too, suspected that Cassandra was a man.

Kat - great idea about Barrow being a nanny. It does look like he will be staying on at Downton at least for awhile.

I sure hope Mr. Carson mellows out. He is such a curmudgeon!

Seems Mr. Carson is unable to accept "moving forward" as well as others in the house have done. He scoffed at the idea that perhaps flying to destinations will become the thing, rather than trains. He doubted Mr. Patmore's idea of a B&B for the house she purchased "for her future". He really gave Barrow a hard time about seeking employment elsewhere, admitting later he was to harsh about it.
Supposedly, he has "new respect" for the cooking a meal, and cleaning up afterwards, so won't give Mrs. Hughes a hard time about it any more.
Well, it has taken Mary quite a while to unstiff her back, her thinking, but she finally did, so perhaps Carson will as well.

Loved the show last night. Tom is such a great character. He somehow manages to make the whole family a little more humble.

Mary can be so full of herself, but then so caring. I loved hearing her laugh with Anna last night. When have we every seen that!!! and visiting Barrows with the baby was thoughtful too, and of course the scene with Granny was wonderful.

Unfortunately, Edith is a little pathetic, and something always spoils her "happily ever after".

I no longer think of Edith as pathetic. While I don't think that this is the end of her relationship with Bertie, even if it is, she's become a very competent, independent and insightful woman. Something that I doubt Mary will ever truly be.

My PBS station ran a Season 6 marathon yesterday, beginning in the morning, showing the entire season, plus then a couple of specials about the castle, and the time period.......so next Sunday is "the end". I really will be missing it.
The man who wrote the series.....Julian Fellows, ....which was supposed to a one or else two part episode orignally, really did well by his characters. People loved that initial showing so much (in england) he was asked to expand, and thus.....well, we got more, for which everyone who watches is so grateful.

My PBS station did the same thing. I agree, so glad for the extra seasons and episodes. I guess it exceeded everyone's expectations. It's kinda like reading a historical novel. You get so you feel like you know the families, then it's hard to say goodbye when it comes to the end.

I especially liked what Edith said to Mary, about why she came for her wedding. It made me miss my sister all the more.

Loved the final episode.....and the British Academy of Film & Television Arts(BAFTA) award show was just great..funny, entertaining, great to see how different the actors look without the wigs and period clothing.....

I loved the ending even though I figured out Mr Barrow would be coming home.

I'm glad things worked out with Mrs Crawley and Lord Merton.

I couldn't stop crying.

I truly LOVED that Violet went with Mrs. Crawley to face down Lord Merton's son & daughter-in-law, get in the house. LOL. I was so glad the family still owned Downton and especially that Edith......was so happy at last!. Auld Lang Syne!

I loved the final episode. They did a splendid job wrapping up! Almost every story line had an ending. Wonderful to see Rose again. I only wish, Mrs. Padmaw (sp) had moved closer to Daisy's father-in-law and Tom had gotten a little closer to the new Editor. ( Sorry, I can't remember the names of either) I am assuming that it is implied that this may happen, just could have moved a little more forward to a happy ending for them. Other than that, everything worked out nicely.

Ah, but that editor caught the bouquet, and then exchanged giggling looks with Tom.........& Mr. Mason did sort of wink at Mrs. Patmore that he would be seeing more of her.

For all the misery and troubles that have plagued the residents, both upstairs and down, of Downton Abbey, it was so satisfying to see them all turn a corner more or less.

I truly enjoyed last night's finale. So well done and written and acted.

I wonder if Days writers might learn a bit from the writers at Downton Abbey. I know it's different in many ways, but the quality of Downton Abbey is on such a higher level.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final episode was very well done -- a positive ending for everyone, even for Mr. Barrow. As for the Lady Mary story line, if she was going to marry a race car driver, it's a good thing that EJ wasn't living and available then. Imagine her being swept away by his superficial charm, meaning that poor Lord Grantham and Mr. Carson might eventually have to welcome Stefano and Andre to Downton. Finally, regarding employment as a butler for Mr. Barrow, he'd have been a far better choice for the DiMansion than poor Harold. It's doubtful that any of the Phoenix's unwanted visitors would ever have gotten past him.

Back