End of Spectator???

I'm not here daily, and I usually stick to the Days focused forums but I would miss this site. I appreciate having a place where it's safe and quiet (unlike the chaos that Facebook sometimes is) to discuss the show, or a particular facet of an episode. We've had some good spirited debates around here and good thoughtful discussion. I would hate to see it go, but it's hard for boards like this to survive in an increasing social media focused world where places like Facebook and Reddit rule.

Oh no, that would make me so sad. I don't go to other Days sites and love this site. You all are my cyber family. You've been my support through marriage, pregnancy, the birth of my daughter, her silly antics, and now my divorce. I would truly be devastated to lose you all. I know some of us are friends on Facebook, but it's not the same, I can't share as openly there.

While I'm currently able to kind of watch the show while I work, I know eventually I will be back in the office and I rely on you for my show summaries, which honestly are usually better written than the actual show.
Same for me! Not traveling to and from work has given me more time to watch.

I came across this site while looking for spoilers, have visited it daily ever since, and would really miss it if it was discontinued. I enjoy reading the views of others, having the chance to put in my two cents, and sometimes getting feedback. In fact, more people seem to read my posts on this board than ever read anything that I ever wrote in legal journals. I suspect that the number of posters is mainly influenced by the quality of the episodes. For example, there are fewer posts to "Today in Salem" when an episode is a dud that's full of filler than when the writers occasionally outdo themselves and put together an interesting episode. Finally, one of the few boards that I visit is dedicated to the often awful teams of my old college. As here, the same people are the most active posters. This situation is just built into online boards and isn't specific to this one.

Last edited:
Think the site should continue as long as the show does. As long as you have been doing this, as much information and other that is shared, would hate to see it end too soon. All the time you have spent on Days is not only a catalog of the show, it is a testament to you.

Other sites do not have the same value of knowledge about the show/actors and respect to members. The show is of a different era and the way it is discussed elsewhere has no depth.

Thoughts are that postings are lower due to the pause we are in. Finding it hard to reach out online or in real life, in any way, for the moment. Doing my best to stay alive, deal with a lot of loss and hardly have the effort to do anything more.

Making this post to let you know how important you/the site/community are is worth any extra effort I have to share.

I know that it is challenging to feel obliged to watching and doing the summaries daily, especially when the shows are in a downward spiral. We do look forward to reading the summaries and I usually make my decision whether to watch or not, since the summaries are posted before the show starts in my time zone. That said, I wonder if it would make it easier for you and the other board administrators if we were able to read summaries someplace else and just keep coming here for the congenial and respectful discussions.

I would think that after all this time that you have been doing this, it must be pretty hard to HAVE to commit to watching and writing every day. I know there are a few sites that post summaries (I personally just read here and one other site), but the only place I ever comment is here. That might be a compromise to relieve some of the obligations from you, while still giving the posters the sense of community that has been expressed?

I would miss the site very much. I don’t post much, but I do read everyday!!! It will be a great loss. I’m sure it’s a lot of work to run and it’s not said enough, but I do appreciate the site.

I promise I will try to post more. Please don’t leave. In this time of Covid you are my only hope to keep up when some long winded government official tells me what is going on in a county 4 counties away from me. My internet is not the best so I can’t always watch online. I have followed this site for a long time. If I knew how to adjust my join date I would but I can’t remember when I joined. I chose the name Miss Scarlett the time we were all becoming detectives.

I enjoy the site as much if not more than the actual show itself. I do read other boards but not daily as I do this site. If it is not here, I would miss it terribly. I do post occasssionally but a lot of what I want to say is usually already stated by another poster, but I do read all posts. I love the fact that this site is very respectful of each of the posters and do not allow bashing of any kind about any posters or actors/actresses. I really hope you consider keeping the board going as long as the show is still airing.

I think you already know how much this board means to me. I have to try to restrain myself from writing too much and I rarely succeed. This was the first board I ever got on, not counting Facebook, which is altogether different. It took me a long time to even figure out how to join in here, and to get up the nerve to try. I made mistakes and embarrassed myself. Still do sometimes but everybody has been so nice to me. Coming here has provided me a lot of relief through long days running into years of taking care of a disabled husband, then his passing, and all the adjustments along the way. I still don't go to any other boards, but I enjoy coming here more than watching the show itself. Thanks to all of you who put the time and effort into making this possible, and thanks to all who join in and comment. I would encourage more of you to do it. Believe me, if I could do it, you can too!

The Salem Spectator is something I look forward to visiting on my iPhone every day. It’s a community of people that love the same show I do. I will admit I loved the show more in 90’s and 2000’s and lately I feel the show is on its last leg, However, I still enjoy reading what others have to say and having a place to talk about how I feel about a story or a couple on Days. I remember reading the Early Edition and Dustin’s days page in the late 90’s. It would be a loss to not have the Salem Spectator to read daily! Hope it stays around!!

It occurs to me that if this site went away, I'm not sure I would continue watching DOOL. I do not feel particularly invested in any of the characters right now. I think I continue watching because that is what "we" do.
Lil0, that pretty well sums it up for me as well.

KathyLu, good idea about at least noting that we visited, if we don't have time or the energy to think through and write out a response.

Back