Julie

Well, we can add Julie to the list of vets or favorite characters that have been trashed by the writers. If they continue, there will absolutely be nobody on the show that the audience will root for.

I still do not like the fact that it appeared that Julie favored Nick over Will, even when she knew Nick was trying to take Arianna away from Will. I do agree that Gabi should have mentioned the attempted rape, which might have changed Julie's mind, without mentioning the river incident.

She'll be back for Christmas to hang Nick's ornament, but then she will hand it to Allie who innocently drops it crashing to the floor. :eek:. I think a lot of misplaced guilt has gone around because Hope, Maggie, Julie and others did not keep close track of Nick. It doesn't bother me that someone in the family tried to be Nick's advocate. Julie was a mother figure and a mother always stands by her own even at it's worst.:love:

Has anyone noticed that the writers persist in destroying ALL the Hortons in one way or another? Julie, Nick, etc?

You're right tabbycat46 - they've really been doing a number on the Hortons - which were the good moral compass of the show. So who is going to be that now, or do we really need a cornerstone family anymore? Everybody's related to everyone else anyway.

But, owing to the topic at hand, I think they've made Julie a caricature of what she used to be, at least in terms of writing, and Susan Seaforth Hayes (who portrays Julie) isn't doing much to help stave that off, sadly. I wonder how she feels, if she knows, that fans of the show are starting to dislike the character that has been part of her life for the last 40+ years?

Besides her not knowing all the stuff Nick actually did, Julie's point is why did Gabi have to murder him? She probably doesn't understand why Gabi couldn't have just said "No" to him and leave him. I will give her the benefit of the doubt because he was family and his family is not in Salem & she did admit she knew he wasn't an angel.

Though I agree about Julie. Her sudden love for Nick makes zero sense from what we've seen. I disagree about Maggie and Hope. From Nick's first time around, they were both pretty integrated into his storyline. So I think we were supposed to assume that they always had this close bond with him. That's why, I personally think it makes sense why Hope would take his death hard and feel guilty about not checking up on him more. But I think no one is to blame about Nick's death but himself. He had plenty of opportunities to seek help but he refused. I do think this storyline is slightly believable because as humans we tend to turn the dead into saints, especially if we have some attachment to them. This happens every time a major celebrity dies. People who criticize the celebrity (esp. depending on how recent the death) are attacked and treated like monsters, even if the celebrity clearly had a troubled past. So I get Nick's family ignoring his horrible behavior, they choose to only see the good. It seems more human and believable to me than for them to start bashing him like other people.

I agree with The Writer. Days has a weird relationship with rape, and so maybe they're trying to lessen what happened by ignoring it, like they are with EJ and Sami.

Back