Official notice on copyrights

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Before I get all official, please let me state that we love you guys. The spectator is quickly becoming the best fan-driven, online community for Days of Our Lives and that's EXACTLY what we dreamed of. We hope that you are enjoying the continuing efforts we are putting forward to create and promote our little online refuge for "wayward Dayvotees". I'd have said "sand people" but that's probably a little bit of a stretch between the hourglass and star wars. :)

That being said, it has come to our attention that one or more parties is actively stealing the Days Ahead previews and cross-posting -- or worse yet, plagiarizing -- the work we do on this site. It takes hard work and dedication to write the previews each and every day, and it is done STRICTLY for our site's members and visitors.

I apologize for the heavy hand. I had hoped never to have to write such a forum post on this site, but please note that the Days Ahead column and all posts herein are officially copyright of SalemSpectator.com.

The exclusive content of the Days Ahead previews may NOT be posted to another site without our express written permission and any derivative works will be considered a violation of United States Copyright law.

To that extent, in order to protect our interests, the owners of this site will shortly begin work to defend our copyrights to the fullest extent of the law, to include DMCA filings against offenders and the pursuit for termination of sites who steal our work for their own personal gain.

We also reserve the right to ban any IP address or account of someone caught stealing from this site.

If you want to use our work, ask.

Again, I know this is heavy-handed, and you have no idea how bad having to write this makes me feel. I never wanted to have to post something like this, because I really hope we can get along without any rules at all. After all, it's strict rules on other sites which caused us to gather here as we have.

The difference is, neither Barb nor I will ever try and hide what's going on from you guys, and we will work to make sure you guys know exactly what we're doing, and exactly what goes into this site. Salemspectator.com in a very real way, isn't just ours. It's you that makes this site so special.

As such, before we start enforcing this trademark and regrettably being forced to ban anyone (by them, not by our choice), Barb and I sincerely invite any of you to comment below on your thoughts, and we will absolutely listen to reason. Given the right argument, we might even change our minds :)

Wayne

In other words:

What happens in our Spectator, stays in our Spectator....!!

Right on Wayne, we all love this site and expect you and Poirot to do what ever is necessary to protect it.

PAllison, you nearly always make me smile, and I thank you now, as I really needed that smile. It has truly been upsetting to know anyone has stolen your work, and then is so bold as to pass it off as their own.

As Wayne has said, we never thought we would have to post anything of this sort. You all are just wonderful, we love you.

Wayne, Poirot, I had no idea that was going on. I can reassure you that I do not go on any other Days board. This is home for me. With as much time as I have been on here, I don't have time for another board. This board is a very friendly board, unlike another board I was a member of. I do hope that this is settled, and quickly, and hopefully will never happen again.

PAllison, right on - what happens in the Spectator, stays in the Spectator.

I know I am new, and just hoping to get to know everyone... I really enjoy reading the "Days Ahead" - Kudos to you, and what you do - you save me from a lot of suspense, I'm a scorpio and I hate suspense when the answer is dangling right in front of my nose, that's why I read spoilers - I know they are there. Kind of like Pavlov's dogs... ;) If I didn't know about them, I would be just as excited to watch the next episode, as I am to read it! THANK YOU! :-D

Karenna, I am the same way. I am a Gemini tho. I can't stand the suspense or the wait, if I have the opportunity to find something out right now I will do it in a heartbeat.

Poirot, you work to hard for anyone to just go and copy what you have spent your valuable time on and post it as their own. :rant: That just makes me mad as heck!!!!!!! I will say that I do post on other sites and I for one have never seen your "Days Ahead" posted there. I will also say that if I ever do I would be the first to come and tell you!!!! well, you already know that from the "embryo switch". I appreciate all the work that you and Wayne do for this site and anyone who takes advantage of that should get what they deserve. ITA with PAllison, what happens at the Spectator stays at the Spectator!!!!!!

This is totally unacceptable, not to mention against the law. As a writer, myself, I find plagiarism to be a nasty crime. I remember when Janet Dailey, a romance novelist, plagiarized the works of another romance writer and she got in trouble BIG TIME, and had to end up paying a stiff fine, not to mention suffer public humilation.

I say, Wayne and Poirot, you go get 'em. Do whatever it takes. We're all behind you.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I post on one other site but have no idea how to take something from this site and put it there. The only way would be to write it all down and then retype it there and God only knows I don't have the time or patience to do that.

The two of you do a wonderful job, keep it up and do whatever it takes to keep us safe and warm at home. :hug: :love: :love:

sorry u have to deal w/ people who dont recpect others work. i justed joined the site but absolutly love it to get my days ahead. Keep up the GOOD WORK ALL OF U!!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug:

wayne, i been posting it on sonyh but only the link to this site. i didnt copy or paste your article at all. posting link to other forums isnt the law at all but copy and pasting is. if you do not want me to post the link to this site than i apologise to you and poirot i only posted the link to this site to your column not copyhing or pasting it to sony

I also dont see anything wrong posting link to this site since it can cause more member to see this awesome site and join. i see what you mean by copying and pasting yhour article but not posting the direct link to this site at all.

Wayne and Poirot,

Do what you have to do in order to protect the copyrighted items on this site. I'm all for it and behind you 100%. Having many poems copyrighted myself and having a new website to display them, I deal with copyright issues all the time and always give credit where credit is due. Most of the graphics I use are linkware (freebies) and the only thing the artists ask is that they be credited for their work. That's the least a person can do.

Barb works hard and does us a wonderful service by doing the "Days Ahead" column and it should stay on this site. I'm shocked to hear that someone has been plagiarizing her work. This site is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm just as proud of that as you are.

Give 'em heck, guys!

Love,
K

but it isnt plagurizing if you just give the link to this site is it?

lumifan wrote:
I also dont see anything wrong posting link to this site since it can cause more member to see this awesome site and join..

Hi Lumi!

You're absolutely right. We *highly* encourage anyone to link to the site or to the daily posts, but cutting and pasting, or ripping them off by plagiarism is theft, plain and simple.

Posting a link to the Spectator on another site actually helps everyone, so please, by all means. Link away.

Sorry if there was any confusion about that.

Wayne

whew i only linked to the other site. not copy and pasting. thanks wayne you are the best.

I am just glad to find this....I was going through withdrawals from the demise of the Early Edition. Was sooooo glad to have the same quick witted person to continue on for those of us with the Day's addiction....*sigh* 40 years and counting,,,,

I do not usually post on these forums, but I have to say that for someone to steal the work that is put into these days ahead posts is absolutely as low as someone can be. I would not blame Wayne or anyone else doing this work for protecting themselves! I love coming to this site and reading the posts.

Hi bunnisue...glad you decided to post your support for Wayne and the site. Would like to hear some of your ideas, opinions etc on other issues....hope you post some more...!!!

Back