SPOILER !! Possible return in the works

I only want Rolf if he comes with Bart. He needs to have a sidekick, especially without Stefano around. I still miss Steve Blackwood (Bart). Beyond Will, and a possibly recast EJ, I would not complain if he brought back Kristen or the REALTony as well. Just hoping for no back-from-the-dead for Dr Tan. Bring on Rolf, if it means bringing back some fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect to everyone here, if some of you are unhappy about the return of Rolf, that is fine and I respect your opinion. But I have to ask exactly what show you've been watching for over 30 years? Days has been dipping into fantasy from almost the second the Dimeras arrived, with a few brief breaks.

It's what has worked and gotten attention and lifted ratings, from the prism story in the 80s through Carly being buried alive and Marlena being possessed. And even Salem Stalker and Melaswen and two Romans and The Pawn. Not every storyline was a favorite of mine but all are outlandish signature storylines.

If you don't like Rolf, or even the actor, it's okay. But it's kind of what Days is known for and has been forever.

Granted, but for longer than that it's been doing stuff like that and it's not going backwards. When it tried, it just doesn't work for them any longer. Ron Carlivati is known for camp and going over the top and frankly I think he's probably going to be better at it than Jim Reilly was and could be a very good thing for them.

I didn't like a good deal of what Jim Reilly did but I did enjoy much of it. And for a show on a year to year renewal cycle, and that tapes far too long in advance, he might be able to get some ratings and bring some fun back to the show that is sorely absent.

If camp and wild adventure are not your taste? We all like different things but maybe Y&R or B&B are better options than Days and GH for you. Just my opinion.

The Norm De Plume story also involved Calliope (who, by the way, I loved) one of the kookiest and campy characters ever on Days.

I don't remember what it's called, but didn't Shakespeare provide some comedic characters at side stage? :)

O.K. let me say this. I absolutely HATED Carly buried alive, Marlena possessed, Salem Stalker, Melaswen. So that would be any thing and everything Jim Reilly wrote. I don't mind camp........there is a difference between that and "horror". The things Dr. Rolf did were horrible.......but, he was gone, supposedly dead, and "it didn't take". That made me laugh. And I did enjoy his return to Days, with him working for Robo John.

However, I honestly would have stopped watching during Jim Reilly's reign of terror, if it wasn't the commitment I made to Early Edition.

We all like what we like, dislike what we dislike and are free to praise and complain.

But just because we express a dislike for a certain character, or storyline doesn't mean it should be suggested we go watch another soap. We all could watch other soaps, and some of us do. But here, we watch Days of Our Lives.....the good, the bad, the ugly and the beautiful.

@A Guy.......which of the comedies of Shakepeare did you mean? As You Like It? Merry Wives of Windsor? Taming of the Shrew? Much Ado About Nothing? Midsummer's Night' Dream? There are more......these just came to mind.

We all like what we like, dislike what we dislike and are free to praise and complain.
Hear, hear! Watching Days during its down weeks is much more palatable when we get to do it with individuals like the members of the Spectator. Here I can commiserate with people who also disliked a story/couple, and hear alternate points of view from those who enjoyed something I disliked or disliked something I enjoyed. Stories are fair game for criticism; members aren't. Thank you Poirot, JustSamantha, and Sparkster for keeping this board a safe place to watch our favourite show with a critical, but compassionate, eye.

Last edited:
I completely understand your comments RomanBrady, and found no disrespect in what you said. You were just trying to make a "point" when you suggested watching other soaps. I agree, Days has always pushed the envelope, and they were doing it before the 80's.

I like the over the top stuff, and that Days is willing to go the extra mile and do it. They take chances other soaps don't I appreciate it as a fan. I liked Marlena's possession, Melaswen, Carly buried alive, among many others, as well as being a HUGE DiMera and EJ/Sami fan from day one. Yes, everyone has the right to complain, but I find it more satisfying to find something I like about every storyline and character.

If it's not a great storyline, I find satisfaction in the acting, if I don't like the character (which is rare), I just deal with it until their gone or love to hate them. Granted, no one can like everything and the show cannot please everyone, but I continue to watch it all...good or bad. I've never missed an episode, and do not FF through the show, which I always find odd when people say they do.

So why all the complaining yet still watch?? I for one don't get that, but that's just MY opinion, one that we all should be able to voice here without being criticized if it's not popular with others.

@Poirot, I'm not certain the play would have to be a comedy; I'm wracking my brain. There was something about some comedy relief to satisfy the roughneck standees. Not certain If it was a part of the main play. Will research. :confused:

I agree, Days has always pushed the envelope, and they were doing it before the 80's.
Days never did outlandish storylines (as in coming back from the dead, unknown twins, supernatural elements, wild animals running amok, etc.) prior to the 80's. Yes, they did groundbreaking stories like David and Valerie's romance, or Bill raping Laura, but those were good, character-driven stories.

Oh, come now, kt! I'm sure magical Dr. Saint Daniel could regrown a new heart.

Heck, lowly Philip regrew his leg and Johnny appeared to regrow his eye. And if two nobodies like them can regrow body parts, it would be a snap for Dan-the-man-who-tans!

Abe got Zack's corneas. Jack's organs were donated during the Salem Stalker storyline. But after management told Days to "fix it" and all the dead Salemites were alive, it turned out to be just an illusion and Jack's organs weren't really donated.

Back