Spectator 5.0 still a work in progress.

Thanks Wayne. Unfortunately, it seems to automatically default to Forums even if I'm already using the site. I'll just get used to it over time. :)

I changed the link on my task bar. I added new one and deleted old one.

As stated a few times already, if there are no birthdays on that particular day, the birthdays do not show up. They only appear if there is a birthday on that date.

Wayne... just a quick question. I keep seeing people talk about "Today's Birthday's" being "back" and on the top right of the page or something...well it's not on my screen. not at all- I've looked everywhere...is it in a setting I need to change for my login or something?
Yep, sorry for moving your post. Just wanted to get it to the right thread.

We're still experimenting with the Today's Birthdays thing, and the site in general. I *believe* it's still working, but since there's no one who's reporting a birthday in their account today, we believe it's simply not showing the box.

With nearly 9000 members, it seems inconceivable that there's not a birthday every single day, but there are two things at play here.

1. First is that you have to list your birthday in your account (not a lot of people do).
  2. Secondly is that you actively have to specify in your account that it's ok to show your birthday by selecting the "Show day and month of birth" option under the "Personal Details". If you don't do both, your birthday will never show publicly, hence "no box for you!" :)
Before you get to tinkering/testing however, please be aware that once you set your birthday, it's set in proverbial stone. That's so that people don't update their birthday every day hoping for a free piece of cake or whatever. If you set your birthday wrong, it'll take an admin to change it, so please. Feel free to set your birthday, and to set the option, but be careful, and don't play with it, because changing it's not that easy, even for an admin...

Wayne

When we used to have a calendar, honestly, we would have sometimes 3 -6 birthdays for a day, and there would be a whole week with nothing in it. And it is true, many folks won't put their birthdays in when they register, even though you do not have to enter a year.
And P.S. On Facebook, they were insisting I put in a year, so the first one they offered was 1905, I think. So...now, for their purposes, I am 110 years old. Gee, wonder why I don't get mentioned in the news. LOLOLOL

Out of pure respect for all the dead cats killed by curiosity, I just went straight to the database and looked up some base statistics on birthdays;

the total number of accounts in our system dating back to 2007 (8317)
the number of accounts where people have put in their day of birth (dob_day is greater than zero) (2107),
Percentage of people who listed their birthdays with us? about only 25% (25.33% actually)
Of those, fewer than 6% (5.73% actually) chose to display their birthday on the site.

Out of over 8300 registered accounts (including the banned and otherwise inactive accounts), it appears that only 126 of you have entered a birthday and chosen to have it displayed publicly. Of those 126, I'm estimating that only 30 or so of you are still active on the Spectator on a regular basis.

Regards,

Wayne

Out of curiosity, is the new software all programmed to work terrific on phones, but perhaps a "who knows", on laptops or desktops?

There is a new standard for programming displays called "responsive" design.

"Responsive" meaning that without modification, the site will do its best to represent a site on any given screen resolution from smartphones (tiny) to tablets (bigger), to small laptop screens, to full-size (and larger) monitors.

It does this by deciding whether to display one column or two (or three), and scaling the fonts accordingly to get the site to display on whatever the horizontal resolution it has to work with. It even does the same with graphics and -- in the case of Google -- the advertisements being displayed to keep you from having to scroll left-to-right on the screen.

That being said, "Who knows" can be considered somewhat accurate because it's almost impossible to fully guarantee the same display on every single laptop or tablet out there. It's a "try your best" situation. After all, the display on a $199 Windows laptop is going to be about 1/10th the display quality of a $1500 Apple Macbook Pro Retina, or Sony 4x HD laptop display...

Hope it helps,

Wayne

LOL. gee thanks, Wayne, I only asked because of the fact the page jumps up and down before settling in, when I click on specific threads in New Posts. And then when it does, it settles on the post just BEFORE the new one. Does the same on my laptop. I have XP on the desktop, and thought perhaps that was the reason, but Windows 7 is on my laptop & same thing happens. And yes, I know you said you cannot replicate it yourself, & I know you use your phone. I have no problem with resolution, colors, size, etc. Doesn't happen anywhere else which is only reason I asked. I can deal with it, no biggie.

Same thing happens to me, Barb. I use a laptop with Windows 7 and I find the new site to be very "jumpy". When trying to view new posts, it always goes to the middle or end of a new post and I have to scroll up to see the actual post.

It's not a big deal, but it just seems like the old version moved more smoothly.

I *think* what happens is that when you open a thread, it's trying to go to the first new post BUT it also has to "back up a bit" to place the top (orange) header and nav header on the screen. Sorry for any annoyance, but I'm guessing that's the cause..

Wayne

NOTE TO ALL

By request, the "New Posts page" (aka the Home Page) should now be set as the default, meaning when you come to salemspectator.com or click the logo at the top, it should automatically show you the New Posts first.

Please let me know if that's not the case and I'll see what I can do.

Wayne

Back