Spectator 5.0 still a work in progress.

NOTE TO ALL

By request, the "New Posts page" (aka the Home Page) should now be set as the default, meaning when you come to salemspectator.com or click the logo at the top, it should automatically show you the New Posts first.

Please let me know if that's not the case and I'll see what I can do.

Wayne

:clap::clap::clap::hug:

If you mean in the Crystal Ball, when you post a new thread........Nope! Still there.

Sounds like a good thing I am technologically challenged since I don't even find some of the things you guys are talking about.:) The only thing I find is that when I click on my Salem Spectator button on the top of my computer, it says Salem Spectator error but takes me too right place. Weird but it takes me to what I want.

it says Salem Spectator error but takes me too right place
I've never seen any such error. Would it be possible to get a screenshot? What URL are you typing in when you get the error, or rather, what does your bookmark try to go to?

Wayne

I've never seen any such error. Would it be possible to get a screenshot? What URL are you typing in when you get the error, or rather, what does your bookmark try to go to?

Wayne
I will try to do a screen shot for you. It may not be today--family just leaving. Thanks.

Thanks so much for all the work you do, Wayne
What? No :blush: icon? For shame. :)

I appreciate your thanks, but honestly it's the ladies who keep this place running. It would be a lot less dramatic of a swapup if I actually did my job of keeping this site updated as often as it should be, so in that regard, I feel like a slacker... I've learned my lesson though about buying third-party modules in that they don't always get upgraded, then we're stuck if that happens... :)

Wayne

It took me a minute to figure out where they hid the option, but -- as requested -- the "Location:" is now back to being displayed in everyone's user info (the left hand thingy), that is, it's being displayed if you have a city/state listed in your account. If not, then no worries.

Further (kinda cool), if you click on that location (in my case, Ashburn, VA), it will pull up that location in Google maps (if it's both a valid place and available).

Wayne

The appreciate button on my posts is missing? All I see is the reply button. It is appearing on other members post but not mine.
appreciat button missing from my posts two.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no appreciate button on your own posts because you can't appreciate your own posts. Everybody else can see/use the appreciate button on your posts, same as the way you can see/use the appreciate button on everybody else's posts.

I have been experimenting with the "new" site and must admit it's been quite frustrating. I'm on my laptop now and everything looks good - much the same as I've been used to....except - each time I log in....I have to type my full user name and password and before it was always "auto fill". Any solution to this?

However....different story on my tablet - Samsung Galaxy (I don't own a smart phone). Sometimes when I log in, it shows my name on the "members online" box & then a few minutes later, it will say 'Log In" at the top but my user name is already in the Members Online box. Lots of blank screen when I scroll down to view the 'Forums'. When I'm at the Home Page, I have to click on 'Recent Posts' before I see any written posts - whereas on my laptop, they immediately appear on my Home Page as the default. Perhaps I am being impatient and not waiting till everything has been downloaded before I scroll.

But....I don't wish to sound like Debbie Downer....love this site and want to congratulate Wayne and the moderators for all their hard work.....it is much appreciated.

There should be a "keep me logged in" button next to where you log in.

As to the downloading time, yes, perhaps some things just take longer. I was having a problem the other day, with various sites, but think it was my server. I have noted that my laptop shows things a bit different than the desktop.

I have to type my full user name and password and before it was always "auto fill". Any solution to this?
As frustrating as it might be (and I apologize for any frustration), the "autofill" feature is determined by the browser, not our software. It's possible that something updated on your machine or tablet without telling you about it? Maybe a browser version update?

I say this because I've experienced the same thing with other sites after Firefox went to version 40 something...

As for tablet usage, the new site uses a "responsive" theme. "Responsive" in this case may be a misnomer, because what it means is that the site layout varies depending on whether you're on a PC (1000 pixel+ wide display) or a tablet (usually a 768 pixel wide display) or cellphone (even lower resolution). In each case, as the page loads, it asks your device for its resolution. The display of the page is then built, on-the-fly for your particular device. Three-columns wide on a PC might become 1-column wide on a phone or tablet.

The reason for this is to keep you from having to scroll left and right to read a message. The tradeoff is a few milliseconds (millionths of a second) for the site to determine the best display for your device. Again though, the login thing is a browser issue. I'll keep looking into it, but it sounds as though your computer/device isn't allowing cookies to be set on your machine (which some browsers are now blanket-considering a no-no), or it's deleting the cookie on its own after a defined time period (or maybe after you close the browser)...

Wayne

Thanks Poirot. The "keep me logged in" button is there and I usually remember to check it when I log in. Will keep plugging away on my tablet (more convenient ) but can always fall back on the laptop if it gets too frustrating.

As frustrating as it might be (and I apologize for any frustration), the "autofill" feature is determined by the browser, not our software. It's possible that something updated on your machine or tablet without telling you about it? Maybe a browser version update?

I say this because I've experienced the same thing with other sites after Firefox went to version 40 something...

As for tablet usage, the new site uses a "responsive" theme. "Responsive" in this case may be a misnomer, because what it means is that the site layout varies depending on whether you're on a PC (1000 pixel+ wide display) or a tablet (usually a 768 pixel wide display) or cellphone (even lower resolution). In each case, as the page loads, it asks your device for its resolution. The display of the page is then built, on-the-fly for your particular device. Three-columns wide on a PC might become 1-column wide on a phone or tablet.

The reason for this is to keep you from having to scroll left and right to read a message. The tradeoff is a few milliseconds (millionths of a second) for the site to determine the best display for your device. Again though, the login thing is a browser issue. I'll keep looking into it, but it sounds as though your computer/device isn't allowing cookies to be set on your machine (which some browsers are now blanket-considering a no-no), or it's deleting the cookie on its own after a defined time period (or maybe after you close the browser)...

Wayne
Wayne....thanks so much.. I will look into the browser update thing as well as trying to be more patient when my tablet is 'calculating' stuff. No need for you to apologize for my frustration!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting. Thanks for this. My iPad 2 forces me to log in every time but it also populates my info so I don't have to remember it. Could also just be my hubby clearing the history each time he is done. :eek:

I like the hourglass in the tab when I come here. I noticed it today.

Back