The Death of Carly Manning

annieri

Reaction score
A light snow is falling as Sami lifts Sydney from her car seat and hands her to Rafe. A short distance away she sees Bo hurrying past. She calls to him, but he keeps going.

Rafe: Bo seems to be in a hurry.
Sami: He looked upset. I wonder what happened.
Rafe: Oh, probably just cop-business. It goes with the territory.
Sami: (kneeling by Sydney who is strapped into a little old-fashioned baby sled) You ready for your sleighride, Sweetie?
(She turns to Rafe) This is probably the last time we'll see snow this season.
Rafe: Then let's take that walk and enjoy it.

They head off toward the dock.

Sami: What's that in the water?
Rafe: Just some unmelted ice.
Sami: NO. Over there. Something red.
Rafe peers out across the water.
Rafe: It's a body! (He jumps into the icy water against Sami's protests)

Daniel is out for his daily jog. He sees Sami and runs toward her.
Daniel: What's going on?
Sami: There's a body in the river. Rafe just swam out to it.

Daniel and Sami watch anxiously as Rafe begins to swim back to the dock, body in tow. As Rafe and Daniel pull the limp body from the water, Sami tries to reach Bo. His phone goes to voicemail. She calls her father.

Daniel and Rafe now have the body on the dock. They turn it over to discover it is Carly Manning. Daniel tries desperately to revive her, to no avail. Rafe is beside himself. This is the woman who saved his life when he was tossed into the river.

Roman arrives with the EMTs. They hustle off to the hospital.

University Hospital:
Roman: There's nothing more we can do here. I do need you to come to the station with me for questioning. Sami & Rafe, too.
Daniel: No problem. Sami is in the ER with Rafe. They're checking him out. That was some cold water he swam through.
I'll go by the ER and as soon as Rafe is released we'll join you at the station.
Roman: Did anyone call Bo?
Daniel: Sami tried. He's not answering.
Roman: I'll find him. You check on them.

Bo is sitting at a table in the Cheating Heart. As Roman enters the bar, Bo is downing a shot and calling for another.
Roman: Whoa, Bro! What are you doing?
Bo: Drowning my sorrows. Join me?
Bo: Barkeep! Double that order!
Roman: Slow down, man. Talk to me.
Bo: Carly & I had a fight. She's leaving Salem.
Roman: Carly's not going anywhere. Rafe and Daniel just fished her out of the Salem River. It was too late. She's dead.

Bo's eyes fly open in horror as he hurls his beer mug across the room, smashing it.

Roman grabs him and embraces him. Bo breaks down in tears.

The scene fades out as the brothers embrace.

(...to be continued)

Oh Boy another great writer on the board. Just loved the first chapter. Can't wait for the next one. Wonder what happened to Carly.

SALEM PD:
Roman is finishing up his questioning of the 3 samaritans and thanking them for acting so swiftly.

Roman: You guys did everything right. I'm sorry the outcome wasn't better. Now we've got to figure out how she got there.
Daniel: We'll know more after the autopsy. I talked to Lexie. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'll be there and I'll make sure you get the results as soon as possible.
Roman: Thank you, Daniel. I hope it was an accident and not.. (his voice trails off)
Rafe: Suicide?
Sami: Have you talked to Uncle Bo? He looked upset when we saw him.
Roman: You saw Bo? When? Why didn't you tell me that?
Sami: It was before we went to the docks. When we parked the car we saw him run by.
Roman: Bo was down by the dock?
Rafe: It was about 20 minutes before Sami spotted Carly's red scarf in the water. Where is Bo now?
Roman: I found him at the Cheatin' Heart and told him about Carly. I brought him to the Mom's. He's sleeping off a few too many shots and beers.
Sami: How did he take the news.
Roman: Not good. He and Carly argued earlier. He said she told him she was leaving Salem for good.
Sami: She was right about that!
Daniel: Did he say anything about her state of mind?
Roman: Bo said they fought about his not being willing to make a commitment to her once the divorce is final. Hope was in the way of them moving forward. She told him she was leaving and going back to Europe. She needs to get away from him and Hope and spend time with Nicholas. With Melanie rejecting her and Bo being torn between her and Hope, there was no reason for her to stay.
Sami: Dropping that bombshell on Melanie right before the wedding - telling her that she was her mother.
Rafe: And then refusing to tell her who her real father is - just that it wasn't Trent.
Daniel: I wish she had confided in me. Melanie would have been conceived sometime around my wedding. We left shortly after on our honeymoon. We never heard from Carly after that. When my wife died she sent flowers and a note, but that was it. I didn't see her again until she came back to Salem. She and Lawrence seemed happy at the wedding. I can't believe she was having an affair. Are we sure Melanie isn't Lawrence's?
Roman: Apparently not. When he found out he got rid of the baby and held Carly hostage at the Alamain estate for all those years.
Sami: She went along with it because she didn't want to leave Nicky alone with Lawrence. Once Nicky was gone she knew she had to get out.
Rafe: Then she killed Lawrence and came to Salem.
Roman: So she said. Then someone else confessed to the murder. I guess we may never know what really happened.
Daniel: The Carly I knew wasn't a killer. There has to be more to it.
Sami: We have to pick up Sydney and get her home.
Daniel: Done. I called Chloe and had her bring Sydney here while you were in with Roman. She's charming the cops in the front office.
Sami: Thank you Daniel. And thank Chloe for taking care of her.
Daniel: Chloe loves Sydney. She enjoyed having time with her. And now I have to get back to the hospital. Roman (shakes hands) I'll be in touch.
Roman: Let me know as soon as you have anything.
Daniel: Will do. (exit)
Sami: Goodbye, Daddy (kisses Roman)
Rafe: Roman, keep me in the loop, okay? Carly saved my life. I wish I could have done more to save her.
(Sami and Rafe leave)

Roman sits down at his desk and covers his face with his hands. He looks up and mutters: Bo.. Bo... Why didn't you tell me you were there? What the hell is going on, little brother?

(to be continued)

13.gif

I shoulda known better to read it...

very good stroy despite me being a Carly fan.

Great suspense...grabs U at the 1st chapter...glad Sami and Rafe have Sydney back
7.gif

Nice continuity from the actual show and a great idea for a murder mystery. Thanks for the story.

Thanks for the chapter. Boy it is so exciting from the very start. Oh boy wonder what we are going to find out in the post mortem. I don't think Bo had anything to do with it. Looking forward to the next chapter.

As the camera pans across a dimly lit room we see an empty twin bed and then another with a sleeping figure gently stirring under the covers. The door opens slowly and someone enters carrying a tray. As the tray is lowered onto a bedside table a sudden stream of sunlight brightens the once darkened room.

Bo: Ma! Why'd you do that!
Caroline: It's time you got up. You've been sleeping since your brother brought you here.
Bo: What happened? Why am I here?
Caroline: Seems you were hitting the bottle pretty hard yesterday. Roman found you at the Cheatin' Heart.
(Bo arranges himself in the bed, starting to sit up)
Bo: (clasping his hand to the back of his head) Yow!
Caroline: (adjusting the blinds on a second window) There are aspirins on the tray.
Bo: Thanks, Ma (Bo picks up the aspirins and a glass of juice)
Caroline: (sitting down on the empty bed) This isn't like you, Bo. Want to talk about it?
(Bo sits silently for a moment)
Bo: I don't know. I was at the station - got a call from Carly. She wanted to talk. Told me to meet her at the dock. I remember leaving the office. After that, it gets... fuzzy. I did have some weird dreams, though. How long have I been sleeping?
Caroline: About 15 hours.
Bo: Whew... that is definitely not me. Where's my phone?
(Caroline hands him a jacket and Bo rifles through the pockets)
Bo: (scanning through 'missed calls') The station's been trying to reach me, Roman, Sami, Rafe, the hospital, Hope.. No Carly.
Caroline: Bo? Do you remember anything about yesterday?
Bo: (folding back the covers as he starts to get up) Just what I told you. I gotta get goin' (He dials a # and puts the phone to his ear.) Carly's not answering. She must be at work.
Caroline: No, Bo. Carly is not at work. We have to talk.
Bo: Ma, what's the matter? What happened?
Caroline: Honey, Carly died yesterday. Roman called me around 3. They had just found her body. He was trying to find you. A few hours later he showed up here with you.
Bo: No. No. That's impossible. No.
(Caroline sits next to him putting her arm around his shoulders)
Bo: What..? How..? Was there an accident? What happened?
Caroline: We're not sure. Sami and Rafe found her. She was in the river. There was nothing they could do. Daniel was there. He tried to bring her back, but it was too late.
(Bo begins to sob as Caroline hugs him)

(..to be continued)

UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Daniel is going over paperwork with a nurse when Roman walks in
Roman: Daniel. I came as soon as I got your message. What have you got?
Daniel: It's about what I don't have. ...Carly.

SALEM PLACE
A man stands with his back to the camera as Vivian walks up to him.
Vivian: Is it done?
Man: Yes, madam.
Vivian: (handing him an envelope which he accepts and stuffs in a pocket) Good. I'll call you with further instructions. Stay out of sight.

(..to be continued)

WOW! I am thoroughly interested to see how this goes. Great job. Keep up the great work.:smile:

OMG.. Not only does Bo not remember anything they have lost Carly. Ohh I see that Viv is behind this. Wonder if she killed Carly and setting up Bo to take the fall. This is just so great. Loving the story and the mystery. Thanks for the extra chapters today what a nice surprise.

UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

Daniel and Roman are sitting in the waiting area alone.

Daniel: Lexie & I went to the morgue this morning expecting to do Carly's autopsy. She was gone. Lexie made a few calls and found out the M.E.'s office had her picked up during the night.

Roman: No one notified the Salem PD of that.

Daniel: There was no paperwork here, either.

Roman: When you examined her yesterday did anything jump out at you?

Daniel: No. No unusual bruises, wounds. Roman, Carly wouldn't kill herself. She's a fighter. She could've slipped and fell off the pier. I don't know, Roman. I really don't.

Roman: She did have some enemies. Vivian. The Alamain thugs who worked for Lawrence..

Hope and Ciara enter

Hope: Hi, Roman. Daniel.

Roman: Hi Hope. How's our little princess?

Ciara: I'm here for my check-up.

Roman: Well, I bet you're going to check out just fine.

Mia approaches in a candy striper uniform

Mia: Hello, Mrs Brady. Dr Carver asked me to get Ciara so the nurse can weigh her and get her ready for the doctor to see her.

Hope: Of course, Mia. We're ready. Where is Melanie? Doesn't she usually do this?

Mia: Melanie's not here today. This is so awful about her mother.

Hope: Her mother? (turns to Roman) What did Carly do now?

Roman: Mia, could you take Ciara? I need to talk to Hope.

Hope: Bye, Sweetie. (Kisses Ciara's cheek) Be a good girl for Mia. I'll be there in a few minutes.

As Mia and Ciara leave, Hope turns to Roman and Daniel

Hope: What's going on?

Roman: Carly was found dead yesterday. Sami, Rafe and Daniel found her in the river.

Hope: In the river? What happened?

Before Roman can answer, a group of reporters flock into the area - all asking questions at the same time

Reporter 1: Do you have a statement on the murder of Dr. Carly Manning?

Reporter 2: Is there a suspect?

Roman: Let's not jump the gun, fellas. Yes. Dr. Manning was brought in to the hospital yesterday and pronounced DoA. Right now, we do not know the cause of death. It could very well have been accidental. We don't know yet.

Reporter 1: The M.E.'s office has issued a statement saying it was homicide.

Roman, Daniel and Hope exchange glances. Bo and Caroline come into view and the reporters rush Bo.

Reporters: (talking at once) Who killed Dr. Manning? What happened? We need a statement.

Bo pushes past them without answering.

Bo: (To Daniel) Where is she? I want to see her.

Daniel: Let's get out of here. We'll go to my office.

Bo, Roman and Daniel leave. Hope goes to Caroline.

Hope: I just heard. What do you know?

Caroline: Not much. I have a real bad feeling about this, Hope.

Something is terribly wrong - and it's not just about Carly's death.

(..to be continued)

Back