The Death of Carly Manning

HORTON CABIN
Shane is poring over papers at the table when Hope enters wearing a plastic green derby, carrying a potted shamrock and a toy leprechaun

Shane: Well, aren't you the festive one.
Hope: I was helping Caroline decorate the Pub for tomorrow's festivities. Since you can't go, I thought I'd bring a little of the Irish gaiety to you.
Hope places the plant on the table and hands Shane the hat and leprechaun. He dons the hat and does a few steps of a jig. They laugh.
Hope: (feigning a brogue) And a very joyous St Patrick's Day, Mr Donovan. (she curtsies)
Shane: Ah, Hope, always the charming lass. (They smile and exchange a friendly hug)
Shane: How did you get out here this late? The ferry's last run was hours ago.
Hope: I took one of John's boats.
Shane: Speaking of John, I talked with him just a while ago. He gave me a few ideas I think we should check out.
Hope: Let's get to work. Fill me in.
Shane: There is something strange about this report. There are holes in it. Information I expected to find just isn't there. I put in a call to Roman. I'm waiting for him to get back to me.
Hope: Let me see it. (Hope takes some papers from the table and settles onto the sofa, reading)

Shane's cell phone rings
Shane: Hello -- Roman.
--
Shane: Yes, Hope just got here. I just told her about the report.
--
Shane: What!!??? Roman, I'm going to put you on speaker.
Shane sits on the sofa next to Hope and places his phone on the coffee table. Hope sits up and lays the papers on the table.

Shane: Repeat what you just said. Hope is listening.
Roman: I contacted the morgue and told them we would need Carly's body for further examination. The body was released a few hours ago to Vivian Alamain and sent to the crematory.
Hope: They can't do that! This is a murder investigation!
Roman: Oh, don't think I didn't raise hell. I sent some guys over to the crematory, but it was too late. The morgue says it was a computer error, the crematory followed the instructions as requested by Vivian. I'm trying to reach Vivian. I sent an officer over to Victor's to find her.
Hope: How could they let this happen?
Roman: I did get a report on the fetus. Bo's DNA is on file at the hospital from the testing done for Chelsea. He's a match. Bo was the father of Carly's baby.
Hope: I expected that.
Shane: This is devastating. Now what?
Roman: I have to go. There's a commotion outside my office. I'll call you back.

Shane: What do you think?
Hope: I think Bo is being set up and somehow Vivian is behind it.
Shane: How would that wash with Victor?
Hope: It wouldn't.

phone rings

Shane: It's Roman.
Shane: Roman. What happened?
--
Shane: She's on her way.
hangs up

Shane: Roman needs you at the station
Hope: What happened?
Shane: The DA had Bo picked up. They just brought him in for questioning. You need to get there right away - and bring a lawyer.
Hope: (grabbing her coat and purse and heading for the door) I'll call Justin and have him meet me there. I'll call you as soon as I know anything.

(to be continued)

Ohhh no Bo is the father of the baby. Was hoping it would be someone else so there would be another suspect to the murder. Sure looks like Vivian did not forget anything. (Still think she did it and is setting it up for Bo to take the fall.) So nice of Hope to go to Bo's rescue when he gets arrested. Can't wait for Justin to get involved in the case. Thanks so much for the chapter.

:woo: Thank you for the Sunday afternoon chapter. What a nice surprise.

Shane and Hope are a great team.

I was hoping beyond hope that Bo wasn't the baby daddy. Please don't let the Days people get any ideas about that.

Ooh boy...getting really interesting now. -bounces up and down- Can't wait for more!

I was hoping beyond hope that Bo wasn't the baby daddy. Please don't let the Days people get any ideas about that.

Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I must be more careful.

BUT! :idea: This is Salem and they don't have a good track record in this area. Now there is no fetus to recheck the DNA (Baby got toasted with Mommy).

We've got one report and Shane has already stated that that report is suspicious.

I've got to sleep on this..

I've never tried writing fiction before. I'm totally winging it. I'm as curious to see where it goes as everyone else. I'm not even sure where it's coming from :duh:

I was trying to think of who I could put her with and Shane popped into my mind. (Be still, my heart) I started giggling like a schoolgirl and couldn't wait to get home to the computer. (And that's what I did at work today :)) (Don't tell my boss!)

The only reason I ever watched THE NANNY was because "Shane Donovan" was Mister Sheffield !!! MMMM, MMMMM, MMMMMM ! :)

Thanks for bringing Shane back !

XOXOXOXOXOXO !

@ annieri. Ohh so the report for the DNA could be wrong. I was thinking it was the report on Carly and how she died that had holes in it, but the report on the DNA of the baby was correct. So looking forward to more. You are a great writer.

Being as how this is Salem, do you suppose that Vivian didn't get the creamation done like she wanted and the funeral home decided to dump the body somewhere. Maybe Carly is still out there somewhere. Just an idea. DNA's have been wrong before. Don't forget about the Georgia funeral mishap a few years ago. The bodies never got buried.:thinking:

annieri, I'm lovin' your story!!!

I misunderstood about the report, too. I was thinking the dna part was correct, but the cause of death was wrong.

Shane was alluding to the whole report being suspect - that it wasn't written up correctly, either by carelessness or design. The info on the fetus (too early in the pregnancy to be viable) was added as an addendum after the DNA results came back. That's why it wasn't with the paperwork Roman gave to Shane earlier.

Salem has a long history of getting DNA wrong (Belle and Sami's twins come quickly to mind) We can still play with this and keep it in 'Salem reality' (as opposed to real world ;-)

I am so happy readers are enjoying this. I'm having fun with it, too. I'm just letting each chapter come to me and then jotting it down. Nothing is written in stone, so, with the help of your input and inspiration I gather reading posts in other threads, we can take this anywhere we want.

Feel free to 'private message' me with suggestions. I'm thrilled with the reaction to Shane's appearance. He is one of my all time favorites, too.

>ann

Maybe Carly is still out there somewhere. Just an idea. DNA's have been wrong before. Don't forget about the Georgia funeral mishap a few years ago. The bodies never got buried.:thinking:

Maybe she is :evillaugh:

Who was the guy Vivian was paying off? What did she pay him to do? Why is she keeping this from Victor?

very well done so far. can't wait to read more. I'm trying to write my own story but having no luck so far.

great story...can't wait for the next chapter...
4.gif

KIRIAKIS LIVING ROOM
Justin is sitting in the living room sipping brandy and smoking a cigar. Victor walks in and settles into his chair picking up a burning cigar from an ashtray on the end table.
Justin: Who was at the door?
Victor: Salem PD. They are looking for Vivian. Carly's body was released to her and she had it cremated. (He reaches for his brandy glass and takes a sip)
Justin: You can't cremate a body during a murder investigation.
Victor: This is Vivian we're talking about.
Justin: Some heads should roll on this.
Victor: Would you like to place odds that Vivian's won't be one of them? (blows smoke rings)
Justin: How does she get away with these things?

Justin's phone rings. He looks at it to see who is calling.

Justin: Hello, Hope.
--
Justin: I'll meet you there. (hangs up and rises from chair, crushing out the cigar)
Justin: The DA had Bo picked up. They're holding him at the station.
Victor: I'm coming with you.

SALEM PD
Caroline sits alone as Roman walks in and spots her.
Roman: Mom, you didn't have to come down here. I'm here for him. Hope is on her way. She called Justin.
Caroline: I'm better here than I would be at home. Oh, Roman, it was awful. We were in the Pub. Bo has been drinking so much these past few days. They came in and took him away. He's not in his right mind, Roman. You can't let them question him now.
Arianna walks in carrying a cup of tea.
Arianna: The policewoman made some tea for you. I hope it is how you like it.
Caroline: Thank you Ari.
Arianna: Any news on Bo?
Roman: I brought him some coffee. Told him not to to say anything until Justin gets here.
Caroline: I hope he listens to you.
Roman: Let's just say, Bo is being Bo.
Caroline: Oh, God. That can't be good.
Justin & Victor enter
Justin: Where is he?
Roman: Come with me. (Justin and Roman leave)
Caroline: (Rising and going to Victor) Oh, Victor, this is so awful. You have to do something. (They embrace. She begins to cry softly. Victor holds her tenderly, comforting her)
Victor: You know I will do whatever I can, Caroline.
Hope rushes through the door
Arianna: (to Hope) Roman took Justin to where they are holding Bo.
Hope: Were you there?
Arianna: Yes. It wasn't pretty. Bo did not go willingly.
Hope: How's Caroline?
Arianna: Pretty shook up. She insisted on coming. It's good Victor is here. He seems to be calming her down a little. How are you holding up?
Hope: I'm okay. I wish I could go in with them, but I don't see the DA allowing me to.
Arianna: He has Roman & Justin. There's something else you should know. Bo had had a few drinks before they came.
Hope: (Rolls eyes and throws her head back) How many is a few?
Arianna: Too many.
Hope sinks onto a chair, hand to her forehead, shaking her head, 'no'

(..to be continued)

Ohhh my. I think Bo is going to make this worst for himself. I don't see Bo saying nothing. Boy Hope is sure supportive. Maybe she knows that the baby is not Bo's. She did seem calm when she was told that it was. Can't wait to read more.

Ohh boy, Bo...always gotta make things worse for himself. I can't wait for the next chapter!!!

SALEM PD
Caroline and Victor are sitting off to the side talking quietly. Hope sits at a desk, talking on the phone. Roman & Justin enter. Roman goes to Caroline & Victor, Justin settles into a chair across from Hope.

Hope: Max, Justin and Roman just came in. I'll call you back when I know more..
--
Hope: Okay, thanks. I'll tell Caroline. Give my love to Chelsea. I'm glad Billie is feeling better.

In the background we hear Caroline gasp and Victor yell "Ridiculous!"

Hope: (To Justin) Talk to me.
Justin: They're charging Bo. I couldn't make him shut up. Everything he said came out all wrong.
Hope buries her face in her hands as Philip & Melanie rush in.

Philip: (to Victor) Henderson said you were at the police station. What's going on?
Victor: Your brother has been charged with the murder of Carly Manning.
Melanie: Why would they charge him? They should give him a medal.

(..to be continued)

OMG. What does Melanie know that would make her think that Bo should get a medal. Boy it would be great My Girl Mel (Melanie) to the rescue. I am so addicted to this story. Can't wait to find out more. Thanks so much for sharing this talent of yours with us annieri.

Back