This is Us (may contain spoilers), part 3

It's going to be interesting to see why the broken plate is important. Jack had it framed and is on his wall.
I think he glued the plate together and framed it as a reminder that due to Sam (the dog) breaking the plate, Jack had to go out for breakfast and ended up meeting Lucy that morning.

I found it interesting that Lucy wanted to be a chef and eventually opened a restaurant. And in the present day storyline, Malik (the teenage boy) appears to have a knack for cooking. I wonder if in the future, their paths cross? He'd be an older man in Lucy's timeline, being that in the present, his daughter Janelle and baby Jack appear to be the same age.

This is from that article you posted, kat:

The thing is…we’re not even sure Kate is alive in the future. “I think it’s wide open at this point what has become of Kate,” This Is Us showrunner Elizabeth Berger has said. But co-showrunner Isaac Aptaker told Glamour we might not learn her fate this season.
That doesn't make sense, unless they're talking way in the future, because when the last season ended and Rebecca was really old and apparently dying, Toby made a comment about how Kate and Jack were on their way to Kevin's house for the party. That's when we also saw the little boy who was Kevin's son, so he's not born for quite a while. So it appears up to that point, Kate is alive.

Sometimes, it is hard to keep track, there is so much jumping forwards, backward, far forward, far back.....

That's neat to see all 3 together.

I was surprised to realize actor Griffin Dunne plays present-day Uncle Nicky. I remember him from the 80's movies Johnny Dangerously (with Michael Keaton) and Who's That Girl (with Madonna). His sister, Dominique Dunne, played the older sister in the first Poltergeist movie. She was murdered by her boyfriend.

Gosh, last night was such a good episode.....centered on Kevin (Justin Hartley), when he mentioned being on Days of Our Lives, brought a smile, then he says his line was cut, but he was still there, looking pale, was supposed to have leukemia. He was a very young man then, tho married to Sophie. Loved his "talk" to Claire, his former mother-in-law at her gravesite.

Was a nice nod to Days to say that was Kevin's first role, especially since Justin Hartley (Kevin) got his start on a soap opera (he was Fox Crane on Passions).

Like how Friends had Joey get a role on Days and even had some Days' actors make appearances on Friends.

I was surprised to see who Keven ended up in bed with. I thought maybe he'd have a second hookup with the military lady he met in the AA group.

This episode was so well done.,despite being focused on Kevin Pearson, the glimpses of Kate & Randall, with their life problems promises so much. I love the flashbacks to their younger selves, how their late father influenced their lives. It was moving how Kevin's mom did not watch the Days episode because his line had been cut, but his mother-in-law did not miss it, knew he would be a star some day, praised him galore. This show manages to touch emotions we did not even know we had. I don't know how they do it, humor, pathos, drama, happiness, sadness, joy, tears. Love it.

Me, too, Kat. Was interesting when Mom referred to her as being 39......as I know when the series began, the triplets were celebrating their 30th birthday. Loved them singing together, & Rebecca revealing her diagnosis.

When the show started, the triplets were turning 36, as was Jack in the flashbacks.

The original title of the show was going to be 36, until it was changed to This Is Us.

This was from the creator of the show:

The original title wasn't This Is Us: "It was originally called 36, which is the age they're all turning at the beginning," Fogelman reveals. But he wasn't a fan of the title. "I didn't like it. I had done a series of movies where I had never titled them and no one can agree on the title. I threw 36 on it, and then I never liked it. Nobody ever liked it. I came up with This Is Us, I think, when I was in editorial. I decided I liked how it looked at the beginning [of the show], and I put it in there. But, there was a lot of debate over what the title of the show was gonna be."

Nice use of product placement last night. Apple iPhone was a sponsor. Early in the show, Beth mentioned to Randall about getting an iPhone for Annie's birthday. Later, Kevin used Siri on his iPhone to ask where singer Joni Mitchell used to live.

Days needs to take note of how to do a subtle product placement. Poor Peggy McCay (Caroline) and that hideously awkward Wanchai Ferry disaster.

That was a good episode. I laughed when Randall told his therapist the
family couldn't have survived without him.

Enjoyed seeing the different ages of baby Jack.

Back