This is Us (may contain spoilers), part 3

Wow, so Randall's mother Laurel is presumably alive. Wonder how she'll end up connecting up with him? Maybe he does one of those online DNA tests or something?

But Randall has been told she is dead. It would have to be her looking for him, or running into him or something, knowing she gave birth. If she did live, why would those paramedics not tell William she is, and is at the hospital, or whatever??

Then again, she could have taken off, got clean, decided to turn her life around, went to school, and.........since Randall is going to be seeking a different therapist........Voila! (SPECULATION)

I just meant Randall doing one of those DNA tests to see if he had any other relatives out there, like aunts/uncles/cousins and finding a relative who mentions that Laurel is still alive.

But I like the idea of him going to a new therapist and it would turn out to be Laurel.

WOW, I just saw the first hour. So much 2020 stuff there. The writers they
have are wonderful. I'll be watching the rest later today.

Did anyone watch the new episode last night?

Was nice to see Kate confront her abusive boyfriend from when she was a teen.

Next week looks like it'll be good, to learn about Laurel's past (Randall's birth mother).

SPOILER:
Laurel died of breast cancer in 2015.

Yes, watched it. Disappointed so much Randall, it seemed, however, all 3 were confronting their pasts in some way. Interesting that Randall's dad thought Laurel died of overdose right after he was born, but not true. Trusting the explanation will be better than the ones Days comes up with.

In October, the flashbacks showed that when the paramedics couldn't get a heartbeat, William left the apartment with baby Randall, eventually leaving him at the fire station, then got on another bus and left the area, distraught because he thought Laurel was dead. Then the very last second of the episode showed the paramedics managed to revive Laurel, as she gasped for a breath. But by that time, though, William was already gone with the baby.

So William didn't lie to Randall, he really thought Laurel had died from the overdose. He never knew the paramedics were able to revive her.

yeah, that is what that fellow, Hai said. So then, William leaves, caring nothing about how "dead" Laurel will fare. Funeral? Cremation? Burial? But, he obviously had no money, since Randall was taken to Fire Dept., and left there.

Guess he figured she'd be taken to the local "Potter's Field" cemetery for the indigent.

I just saw it. Good episode.

I'm glad Kevin called Randall.

I started to cry when he talked to Hai. I'm glad he told Randall he didn't think
William lied to him.

I can't wait to see next week's show.

Good show last night. I really liked Laurel's story, although I thought for sure it would've ended up that somehow Randall and Beth interacted with Laurel during their honeymoon in New Orleans. Maybe asking for directions on a street corner, sitting next to her in a restaurant, walking through the farmer's market, something like that.

The actress who played Laurel's Aunt Mae is the same one who played Fin's ex-wife on Law and Order SVU.

Next week's preview looks pretty intense.

Glad you stuck with it....I gave up after about 15 minutes.....It seems the show has been concentrating on just one of the Pearson trio, & I really liked when they all had story, including the parents, who I love. Maybe I just was not in a good mood....lol. I had so looked forward to This is Us returning, but then I was also looking forward to Zoey & etc. & that one disappointed me first.

Another good show. I'm glad Randall is feeling better about himself after
learning his mother's story. I cried more watching the preview.

I wonder if they are doing shows with one person at a time because of COVID.
I think last year they had a story arc with each child in a separate episode.

I wonder if they are doing shows with one person at a time because of COVID.
I don't think so, because they still have a full crew for each episode and they've done episodes with everybody together. Although they might be limiting Mandy Moore's (Rebecca) interactions with people since she's pregnant in real life.

They had done a full episode about William a while ago, so I think this one was due to happen anyway, to know Laurel's backstory and the events leading up to Randall's birth. I was hoping Laurel and Hai had reconnected earlier in their lives and had children, so that Randall had biological siblings.

They sure know how to do a fake-out, since the previews made it look like Kevin was in a car accident on his way to the airport.

It's interesting that Kate and Toby's adopted daughter and Kevin's twins seem like they'll all be born on the same day, the same as Kevin, Kate and Randall.

That was a bad fake out. I'm glad he wasn't in the car. I kept wondering if he might get hit
since he was on the phone and using his GPS the whole time he was driving.

Yep, it is interesting about the kids being born the same day.

It really made me happy to see Randall and Beth calling Madison. I'm a little less than thrilled with Madison deciding to spring on Kevin that she wanted him to essentially give up his career for her idea of family life, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

I enjoyed the preview for next week.

Another great episode. Loved at the end when Kate said something about "a new Big Three" since all the babies were born on the same day.

Was really sweet that they named the boy twin after Uncle Nicky; and how Toby came up with Hailey's middle name (Rose).

I read an article that called the flashback sequences of the random man and woman kind of stupid. While they turned out not to be related to the Pearson family, that man's real-life computer work is what enabled the Pearsons to be connected in that episode. I thought it was a nice tribute to that real man and woman.

It was a great episode.

At first, when we saw Nasar and Esther I thought it would have something to do with Kevin
coming home. I like how they put them in the story to show us who is responsible for us to
be on the internet together.

I wasn't surprised about the middle name. I was happy Kevin got there in time. Nice to
see Rose telling her husband she was coming home at the end.

Last edited:
Back