Tuesday, March 4th

in dog years, i'm dead!

IA soaps re-write history all the time but it don't think there is a rewrite of history here ... EJ is basically a blank slate other than his birth. (of course he's only 11) EJ was not all the forth coming about who he was ... In his last talk with Stefano he mentioned that he could get a good job with his experience and education ... so he has a law degree I call that a GOOD EDUCATION! Wow those writer's must Love our EJ!

hahaha, cjk, you are too funny. i think sometimes we forget about the advanced aging on soaps. ej is 11, i guess they use dog years or something. does anyone know the real soap ages of belle and shawn as well, i recall they were age-advanced about 7 or 8 years ago, too.

Lawyer

Salem needs a Lawyer with Frankie and Mickey not around. The new guy is nice looking, but oh that EJ still sends this old lady swooning. I think the new John is in for the long haul story wise anyway. Do you think he will start to fall for another woman on the show? Could be.
Like Anna. Well again thanks Barb for the updates. You are the greatest.

Just a note on EJ. He was moved out of the country as a baby and most likely given dual citizenship in England (or wherever they are claiming he was raised now). In the United States, citizens not living in the country or claiming dual citizenship at the age of 18 must declare the United States and LIVE in the US (There is a certain amount of time required). EJ would not have met those rules when he turned 18 hence his US citizenship would have been revoked. (My brother almost had this happen to him.) The visa thing makes sense. Besides, at this point, Susan is probably an expat.

I don't think that's correct.

From wikipedia:

As a historical matter, U.S. citizenship could be forfeited upon the undertaking of various acts, including naturalization in a foreign state, service in foreign armed forces, and voting in a foreign political election (with a few exceptions, such as municipal and local elections as opposed to presidential and other national elections). However, a line of U.S. Supreme Court decisions beginning with Afroyim v. Rusk (1967) constitutionally limited the government's capacity to terminate citizenship to those cases in which an individual engaged in conduct with an intention of abandoning their citizenship. In the wake of administrative practice changes adopted by the U.S. Department of State during the mid 1990s, it is now virtually impossible to lose one's citizenship without expressly renouncing it before a U.S. consular officer. [13]

ummm, did i hear wrong LAST WEEK that ej had only gone to law school without graduating, and now this week, he has his law degree? maybe he got one of those groovy online degrees, or maybe i was hearing voices? i'm soooooooooo confused, (as usual), can anyone elaborate on this one, please?

Let me elaborate for you sunshine, it's a soap and anything can happen, real world rules do not apply in soap land. ;)

All the C's...

In Poirot's write up (thank you so much!) Sami and EJ go through a whole lotta words that start with C's. Isn't it funny that we had a thread here with names, and we had to come up with names that did not start with a C? I may be reaching for straws here, but it's quite a coincidence... maybe I'm Crazy!

Thanks for the write up, Poirot! For some reason, I got a good laugh at Tuesday's episode...from everyone...Chelsea's encounter with Dr. Hottie (is she going to fall for him??) and EJ surprise at the visa and Sami not signing the papers (oh brother, just get on with it! too much filler!) and Steve and Ava relationship and Steve acting like an idiot (just tell Kayla already!) Can't wait to see this one, though!

Shawn Christian (Daniel) is a nice looking guy...and his resume is pretty extensive! I remember him from Summerland! Too bad Belle isn't still a nurse...I bet she would forget Philip and Shawn!

while hot, he is a little old for chelsea. could have given billie someone... oops! something to do. lol

I agree, move on with the fillers!!!

When Days has a story where John Black comes back from the dead after flatlining on screen...I don't think Days would site Afroyim v Rusk 1967 when it comes to EJ and his visa expiration. Just too advanced for their little Days minds. I think we might have to chalk it up to soap land rules...and the convenience of his visa expiring as he is getting divorced. Too funny!

And Karenna - I so thought of that too. With our thread about the C names, now they are using some C adjectives...I so think the Days writers are addicted to this board as we are!
*waves to them* Hey guys! Keep up the pace!

One has to only check with the U.S. Government itself, as to what constitutes being a U.S. citizen (being born in the U.S, is one factor among many) and what could possibly lose you that privilege......which is very difficult to do, so says the U.S. Govt. However....to quote......
Losing your citizenship

For a natural-born citizen, losing your citizenship is actually quite difficult. The law prohibits the taking of your citizenship against your will, but there are certain actions a citizen can take which are assumed to be a free-will decision that constitutes a voluntary renunciation of the citizenship.

Moving to another country for an extended period of time does not constitute an act that presumes renunciation. Neither does taking a routine-level job with a foreign government. This stand is quite different from U.S. policy of the past, where even being naturalized in another nation could be seen as renunciation. The sections of the law that pertained to losing ones nationality for many of these cases was found at 8 USC 1482 and related sections.

The U.S. Code does, however, see some acts as creating the possibility of a loss of nationality. When you lose your U.S. nationality, you are no longer under the protection or jurisdiction of the United States. When the United States considers you to no longer be of U.S. nationality, it in effect considers you to no longer be a citizen. Note that these are things you can do that may force you to lose your citizenship. The law also says that these acts must be voluntary and with the intent of losing U.S. citizenship. The ways to lose citizenship are detailed in 8 USC 1481:

* Becoming naturalized in another country
* Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country
* Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
* Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
* Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
* Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
* By being convicted of committing treason

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_citi.html

One has to only check with the U.S. Government itself, as to what constitutes being a U.S. citizen (being born in the U.S, is one factor among many) and what could possibly lose you that privilege......which is very difficult to do, so says the U.S. Govt. However....to quote......
Losing your citizenship

For a natural-born citizen, losing your citizenship is actually quite difficult. The law prohibits the taking of your citizenship against your will, but there are certain actions a citizen can take which are assumed to be a free-will decision that constitutes a voluntary renunciation of the citizenship.

Moving to another country for an extended period of time does not constitute an act that presumes renunciation. Neither does taking a routine-level job with a foreign government. This stand is quite different from U.S. policy of the past, where even being naturalized in another nation could be seen as renunciation. The sections of the law that pertained to losing ones nationality for many of these cases was found at 8 USC 1482 and related sections.

The U.S. Code does, however, see some acts as creating the possibility of a loss of nationality. When you lose your U.S. nationality, you are no longer under the protection or jurisdiction of the United States. When the United States considers you to no longer be of U.S. nationality, it in effect considers you to no longer be a citizen. Note that these are things you can do that may force you to lose your citizenship. The law also says that these acts must be voluntary and with the intent of losing U.S. citizenship. The ways to lose citizenship are detailed in 8 USC 1481:

* Becoming naturalized in another country
* Swearing an oath of allegiance to another country
* Serving in the armed forces of a nation at war with the U.S., or if you are an officer in that force
* Working for the government of another nation if doing so requires that you become naturalized or that you swear an oath of allegiance
* Formally renouncing citizenship at a U.S. consular office
* Formally renouncing citizenship to the U.S. Attorney General
* By being convicted of committing treason

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_citi.html

Thanks Barb for doing the research ... It will be interesting if the show even remotely tries to deal with this ... I suppose if they can bring back people that Lexie (the new Hospital Chief) has declared dead back to life - they can wave a magic wand and make EJ a non-US citizen. It's a head shaker!

Maybe EJ is technically a dual citizen, but was just young and at age 18, living in England, didn't think he'd need a US passport and got a British passport, so he got visas when he went on the driving circuit, which is where he started out on the show, right? (at least that was his cover story)?

Hi All. I have been reading days ahead for sometime, but I have not posted before. I have been a big fan of Days for sooo long. Thank you, Barb for posting the shows on a daily basis...you do such a great job!

As for EJ and Sami; I do not want them to stay married. I do not like the fact she married the guy who forced her to have sex with him to save Lucas...it is so wrong. I know people deserve a second chance, but not in this way (it is too soon). I want Lucas and Sami together.

Immigration...

Well, Ejs visa story could drag for sometime if Day's wanted it to. I used work for immigration the eastern hub were we processed paper work for the whole eastern seaboard and let me tell you @ times we were so back logged it took quite awhile to process a file. Although if he wanted to pay an extra 1000 dollars for preimum processing they could be processed in two weeks.... but now being cut out of Dimera money I don't think he has the spare change laying around. With his law degree he could start working for a lawyer and have his company file a 129 and he would be safe as long as his degree in law was a masters or higher! Hurry Ej there is a cap limit on those!

Oh and having a law degree from somewhere (not in the US?) would NOT permit him to practice law in Salem (whatever state that's in!) He'd have to take the bar there first. LOL!

Hey is anyone feeling the least bit suspect of Lexie? I would like to think that she is redeemed but even before she lost her license to practice medicine she didnt make very good decisions ie pronouncing people dead when they were not etc.... Now all of a sudden she not only has her license back but is Chief of Staff and does not want anyone else looking in to Beaus mysterious illness. Has someone pulled some of daddys tricks?? Used some of his connections??? All just a little curious to me. And yes EJ is an American I remember when he was born.

Can you not all see him working for "Uncle Mickey"? Especially since there needs to be a lawyer in town and "Uncle Mickey" isnt really there. Although I wish they would bring back the original Mickey. LOVED HIM

Back