SPOILER !! Week July 12

It is so hard on twitter to not respond to the Ben and Ciara fans. They are rabid in the fact that these two are the next Tom and Alice, John and Marlena. etc., but at least in my opinion, they aren't. Yes, they at one time loved each other, but what did they do? Did they have a story other than laying around in bed?

Ben has no story without Ciara. With the actress who portrays Ciara wanting time off to do a multitude of other projects, we know she will leave and pop back in, leave and pop back in. It's almost like she's the Lady Mary of the show. I want you when I want you and don't you dare find another. I will want you when I do. (Lady Mary from Downton Abbey)

Robin, I agree about everything you said. As far as I'm concerned, these come-and-go characters add nothing. It's more frustrating to me than enjoyable. I can't get invested in them, although, most of them I'd rather not see again at all, ever, like Kristen and others.

I did like Ben and Ciara in the beginning but it soon got boring for the very reason you stated. I don't believe there will ever be another super couple because writers these days don't know there is anything in life besides going to bed with somebody. Or maybe it really is that nothing else holds the attention of the majority of viewers.

I caught Theo's remark that he knows Ciara isn't in her right mind, but then continues to say they're getting married. Good grief, I think Theo is the one who isn't in his 'right mind'. Theo, Paulina and Chanel (with her lesbian tendencies toward Allie) can move on, please!!

I may be the odd one out, but I'm still holding hope for Kate and Roman!

Given Ben's past with being abused, I don't even want to see him forgiving someone who treats him as badly as Ciara has in recent months all in the name of "love." He deserves someone who just loves him—maybe the way Ciara used to. The writers have taken her verbal abuse too far. Even before that, nothing about their relationship has felt like love for a really long time. It feels like fixation and obsession.

I agree that Ben needs a story and a life outside of Ciara for him to be a character worthy of supercouple-dom. Otherwise, all of his arcs are an extension of Ciara. I think that's why he and Claire feel interesting (even though I don't think they can be paired because of the Claire-Ciara history). It would be nice if he did something other than sit around waiting for Ciara to show up.

Also, you can't have a supercouple when one of the actors doesn't want to commit to the show for long enough to let the romance settle in. I'm SO ready to move from this story.

A supercouple requires the romance to grow and for them to go through things together and find their way to each other and have some happy times that create an attachment with the audience where we know they will only ever be truly happy with each other. All of that takes time and consistency, as well as decent stories. With the actress playing Ciara leaving every 10 minutes, it's futile to try to make them a supercouple. And I could easily see Ben being happy (maybe even happier) with Claire.

I think they've been through a lot together, but it takes years and it takes giving us stretches where we can enjoy seeing them happy and understand why they're suited. We've never seen Ben and Ciara happy for an extended stretch. We've seen them collapse into bed together relieved after something was literally set on fire. Their entire relationship is defined by trauma. And at this point, it really feels unhealthy on top of the time issue.

Agreed, TinaY. Ciara seemed to be a chronic damsel in distress and Ben was her white knight. Between kidnappings and other assorted perils they were rumpling the sheets. It seems like their relationship was built in bed and dramatic recues. There is not much there to build a lasting relationship with.

That being said, Theo has thrown the proverbial monkey wrench in that relationship. He was raised better than that and Abe needs to give him a talking to!

To the point about Ciara and Ben and their viability as a supercouple, a hugely important element of what makes a supercouple is fan response. The show's writing and tape delay make responding to fan reactions impossible, so Ciara/Ben will never get the kind of writing that built the other couples (even later ones like Lucas/Sami and Shawn/Belle).

Furthermore their reluctance to recast roles (which I again maintain is a result of the tape delay) and Ms Konefal's reluctance to do Days full-time (as noted by other posters) makes 90% of the story Ben running around talking about Ciara, remembering Ciara, looking for Ciara, and telling other people that he's talking about, remembering, and looking for Ciara.

So now Gabi is with the man who looks like her late husband, and Justin is with the woman who looks like his late wife. ReRon is nothing but consistent, tho surprised he is running both at same time.

I can't help but wonder why Gabi and Justin are with Jake and Bonnie. It seems rather sick to me. If I were Jake or Justin, I would worry that they saw me as a replacement for their late spouses. It would be rather difficult to get rid of Gabi and Bonnie because they are super needy and clingy. The male population in Salem is clearly lacking brains and common sense.

Back