SPOILER !! Week June 24

All this going on with Xander is the most interesting thing I've seen on the show in a while. I hope it doesn't fall flat and end in a big let down. I think they are onto something by showing him with some heart (whether it is real or not is anybody's guess) instead of just the predictably always bad all the time thug.

I agree with you Old Cowgirl. Now we just have to wait and see how this all unfolds. Xander is definitely the best thing going on right now. He's a major character and the key to many interesting changes in the show.

I wonder if the show realizes now that many people are not buying the reformed Ben and still don't like him because he did kill people and they haven't made that go away by having Jordan or anyone else do those murders, if they are now trying to make Xander the reformed good guy. Right now we are still wondering what he is up to, but now that he has found his true love, the awful worthless Sarah, he seems like he is going over to try to win her (why, Xander, why??? Just sleep with her if you have to, but nothing more!!!) and is trying to be a good guy. In my opinion, he is MUCH more interesting being a heartless bad guy. I hope this is not another example of how the show tries to change a character too fast and it falls flat.

I like Ben, and do think he is trying. He certainly cares a lot about Ciara, and seems to understand people not trusting or believing he is not a threat. However, I don't blame anyone for being leery, but do agree, that Days needs to do more, in his case, than make it so easy, as they did with Abby, and seem to be going to do with Claire.
But then nearly all Salemites get away with crime. Heck, Hope murdered Stefano, Abby killed Andre, Nicole supposedly killed Deimos, Aiden tried to kill Hope, only wasn't Aiden, after all, was it?
Days needs to deal with the situation, not ignore it. If they found a way for others to get away with dastardly things, (and not even bringing up Kate, Kristen, Sami, Victor, Stefano, Stefan, & the list goes on........then they can find a way to absolve Ben.

Under Days standards, redeeming Ben wouldn't be hard. Will has been resurrected, so why not Paige and Serena? E.g., Serena faked her death to get away from Eric, Xander, and the Fred-the-Elephant smuggling plot. Paige did the same to get away from her boyfriend and mother who had repeatedly shacked up with each other. She then went west and enrolled at Stanford, which she had foolishly passed on in order to go to the local diploma mill, Salem U. As for midwife Wendy, it would be easy to conjure up a scenario in which Ben had pretended to kill her in order to further terrorize Chad and Abigail.

Imagine Paige returning, learning what Eve has been up to, and telling her, "Mom, you really haven't changed at all, have you?" As for Serena, she would be flabbergasted by Xander's new popularity, asking, "What's wrong with people in Salem, anyway." Finally, Wendy might say, "You thought I was dead? Don't you people in Salem check on anything?"

I agree @Poirot, as I like Ben, too (except when they make him go to that angry place and threaten people), but I just have read how many people still don't and won't accept him and feel that many characters were sacrificed for the pairing of Ben and Ciara (which I also like). So, if truly redeeming Ben (meaning he did NOT kill anyone, including anyone we saw him kill), then why don't they take a stance one way or the other. I really hope they don't waste Xander and (sorry about this) I don't want to see him as a main character. He is one for me where a little goes along way. But, the show is clearly going to pair him with Sarah. YUCK.

The thing about Ben and the deaths attributed to him ....As has been noted before. We did not SEE Ben kill anyone. We saw a figure attack Paige......Serena was found dead, Wendy was outside, and we only heard a shot....As Dr. Baker noted, he could have faked that, to keep frightening Abby. The only person we actually saw Ben attack was Will, who was not dead.

Who is to say Ben killed anyone? Oh, I will not go so far as to say he doesn't have his "spells", lose his temper, and need meds to stay stable.

Heck, he even could have attacked people, but not killed them......they could have been finished off by someone else, someone who maybe wanted Ben put away. There are any number of ways to account for those who died.....including the fake deaths. What if Dr. Rolf wanted guinea pigs on which to experiment with his drug??

As far as I am concerned, Days has entirely too many characters who are killed in some way but not dead. If they want to write characters out, just have them go away, take a job in another city, starting fresh. Better than murder, explosions, etc. Serena could have just gone back to Colorado, Paige to college in CA. The show finds the actors portraying Ben & Ciara elicit sparks, so put them together, but don't deal with the issue well enough

Well said, Poirot. I've always thought that the Days writers should think and think again before killing off a major character. They might get a few scenes out of the death and its repercussions, but then they're boxed in if they later want to bring the character back. For example, they could easily have had Gabi attempt to kill Tricky Nicky, seriously wound him, and then have her go to the slammer for attempted murder. Similarly, somebody could have made an attempt on Deimos's life and the character could then returned to Greece in order to recover from his grievous wounds.

but I just have read how many people still don't and won't accept him and feel that many characters were sacrificed for the pairing of Ben and Ciara

Most of the people that I read who don't like Ben or the pairing of Ben and Ciara seem to feel that Claire, a legacy character, was sacrificed for Ben and the pairing of Ben and Ciara. To me, Claire has always been selfish and all about herself even before Ben was in the picture. I also do not like the way the story has gone with Claire as the firestarter, all for a boy who's not interested in her (she should have just dumped him when he told her he was going to marry Haley and moved on).

I like Ben, and I like the pairing of Ben and Ciara. I don't think they are the next supercouple, but they are a better couple than a lot of recent pairings that have taken place on the show (Jack and Eve, Sonny and Leo, Hope and Ted). I do think they should find a way to resolve the murders of Serena, Paige, and Wendy to fully redeem Ben. Rather than have them all come back alive, I would think it could somehow be resolved that Clyde caused their deaths and somehow brainwashed Ben into thinking he did the strangling of Serena and Paige. As for Wendy, he could have shot at her, missed, but Clyde was there to finish the deed (I could be wrong, but after the fire at the cabin when Chad and Abby were rescued, I think one of the firefighters or police mentioned a recent grave dug with a woman in it).

I think it's clear that Claire was not working. I think they were going for another version of Sami. A character you love but also love to hate. But they totally missed the mark and just gave us a character we don't connect with at all. Which we should being that her parents are so popular.

I think they will send her to the funny farm and recast her with a redemption storyline in a few years.

I think from my avatar you know how I feel about Ben and Ciara! I felt this way since they started their relationship.
I'd love if it was Clyde that really did the murdering but I would also accept that the victims are still alive also.
I'd love to see Ben and Ciara become a super couple.

Back when the "new teens" were first hired, I remember the casting call for Claire, had to be able to sing, play guitar. That is what they wanted. And Claire arrived, all caught up in her music. singing, writing songs, and her presence on social media. That all was not received too well, especially since Days rarely if ever now, uses established music. ($$$$) Well, a change in writers, and a change in direction for the young people.

Legacy children/character really don't mean much on the show. Zack Brady is dead. Andrew & Theresa are in CA. Stephanie & Joey are elsewhere. Carrie left town. Sami left town. Allie is in Italy, along with Johnny & Sydney. Melissa is in Tennessee. Mike Horton........who knows? Jeremy was a disappointment...

Maybe they will have these teens return when in their 30s. ?? Ciara has worked once they did the recast, so it can be done. Just like Stefan works better with the recast.

Well, Doug, Julie, Stefano & Victor also managed to age, but I do agree about everyone else. But we always said it seemed that once a character hit 21, age never mentioned again. thus the noticible age discrepancies in various pairings at times. Actually, I don't understand why people of opposite sex cannot be good friends, why the soaps invariably have to have them "more than friends" meaning bed partners.

Back