SPOILER !! Week of April 25

This is my biggest issue too. The pairing does not come off as authentic. It seems rather forced and even the actors seem uncomfortable in their "romantic" scenes. The show shouldn't have to force a couple on fans for them to work or build a fanbase (see Brady/Jeannie T or Nicole/Daniel). Just let things progress naturally and the chemistry will come on its own. I'm just not seeing it with Hope and Rafe. Friend chemistry yes but not romantic.

Plus I still can't get past the fact that the Aiden stuff was never really resolved. So to me, Hope has not moved on at all.
I agree with you Heather about Hope and Rafe. Not only do I find them a forced pairing, I also feel that the show wants us to think they are only a few years apart in age (as the actors are in real life) when the age gap is really much bigger for the characters. Most likely, this is the main reason Hope and Shawn are not sharing scenes and Claire does not call Hope Grandma. If Shawn were around more, it would be glaringly obvious that Rafe is not much older than Hope's son, and the grandmother of a teen is too old for somebody in their late 30's, early 40's.

Wouldn't throwing an 80's do for Hope remind her of her actual 80's... which were predominantly with Bo? Seems like that'd backfire if the aim was to get her to forget about Bo and fall into Rafe's arms, bed, whatever.

And how about Nicole and Victor ? Sure, it wasn't love, but still... And Jennifer and Eric, with Eric saying : "what we could have been". Now there's an age difference there. In real life, not so much, as Melissa Reeves (Jennifer) is 49, and Greg Vaughan (Eric) 43. But in Days. Unless I'm mistaken, as it is hard to keep up. But on the show, Jennifer is a grandmother too, just like Hope. And let's not mention Kristen and Eric. Although I don't think anybody liked them together, it was much worse when it came to the age difference. At least, Hope and Rafe are friends, and now are developing into something more. And I think it's sweet. Why not ?

I think the problem comes from long-time fans who know the characters' timelines. Hope was a teen, nearly 20, when Sami and Eric were born. Rafe was married to Sami and roughly her same age. But now, Hope and Rafe are "ageless" so that they swim in the same pool.

Same with Jennifer. She was a teenager when Sami and Eric were born. She was dating Frankie and living life as a 20 year old when Eric was a toddler. But now, they are magically close in age.

Abby and EJ were born around the same time (actually, Abby was born 1992 and EJ was born in 1997). But then Abby was a teen when grown-up EJ came back to Salem. Once they were put into each other's orbits, Kate Mansi was playing Abby and the age difference wasn't as jarring.

Oh, I get that, JS. I am also a long time fan (more than 30 years watching now). The ages and the SORAS thing are so ridiculous on this show, that's why I'm willing to forget many things in order to have the much desired romance. And I do see Hope and Rafe as a romantic couple. NOT Jennifer and Eric, because I see them as two addicts trying to hold on, not anything romantic or remotely pleasant.

But to get back on the Hope and Rafe topic, if I stop to think that Rafe was married to Sami (and I so don't want to think about Sami), of course I will have a problem with a pairing between Hope and Rafe. Thus, I try to forget. And, again, it's much easier to forget when it could lead to something pleasant, than to forget stories and characters when it's for ridiculous plot lines (hello, I'm talking to you, Maggie and Summer), or disgusting ones, at least in my opinion (Kristen and Brady, Jennifer and Eric).

The same thing could be said for all storylines on Days. Paul being John's son, or this new Helena thing with Victor and Deimos. I could never be onboard with any storyline on Days if I were to pick apart everything. Because most of it doesn't make sense time wise. But if I find a storyline interesting, I can get over these things. So since I like Paul, I can accept he's John's son. I like Nicole and the actress who plays her, so if it gives her air time, and if Nicole and Victor team up against Deimos, I'm all for it. But the Maggie thing with Summer, or the Egg Baby thing with Maggie and Daniel, nope, it was so bad, I could not be on board. And it had nothing to do with the timelines, it had to do with the writing.

Abigail has a nightmare about Ben. [Who else? The real surprise would be if she was having nightmares about her old obsession, Austin.]

Victor and Nicole seal the deal to bring Deimos down. [This is a real case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."]

Ciara, Claire and Joey are all accused of vandalism. [This is small change for murderer/kidnapper Joey. And good luck to all of the little troublemakes if they are hauled before the same judge who once wanted to drop the hammer on JJ.]

Last edited:
If the Greek stuff happened 10 years earlier it'd fit a bit better for Victor. I don't get why they just didn't say the 70's. It could have happened after Caroline - we know he went back to Greece after Bo was conceived, so stick the Helena stuff in there, before he came on screen.

Right, there you go, I've fixed it in my head and I'm going to just go with that timeline.

It doesn't matter. In a few months, when Ciara is tired of babysitting, and Thomas will be 13 years old anyway, she can become the next doctor, nurse, or police officer. Heck, she can even be Co-CEO of the new "FroYo" company, along with Theo. Together, they will create all new magical flavours. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but I'm still perplexed as to why they don't have Hope and Claire interacting as grand daughter and grandmother. They have never, (at least to my knowledge), addressed one another as such. She is treated like just another of Ciara's class mates. Weird.

Last edited:
It's been commented on many times, in many threads. Seems like the writers want to portray Hope as a younger woman and not one old enough to have a nearly 20 year old granddaughter.

Recently Claire made a very rare comment and referred to Hope as her "Grandma" (she was talking to one of the other teens). Normally she just refers to Hope (when talking to Ciara) as "your mom".

Whoa! How or when did Claire get to be nearly 20? Isn't she still in high school?

Back