Weird Food Mash-Ups

oh I make my own salad dressing sometimes too (Thousand Island)... super easy, but I'm picky. MUST be miracle whip (1 of the small containers they sell... can't remember the exact portion size, I just know it's the little one lol), 1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce, sweet relish (again, I use paper towels to drain the juice as much as I can before I add it), a sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce, and 3 hard boiled eggs all chopped up... (it's fine without the eggs...but we love them. haha) yummo! I didn't think that was weird though. the mash up is a little weird I guess.

I bake my pork chops in Mango Poppyseed dressing... the kids and the hubby LOVE IT... first I salt and pepper both sides of my chops, then put them in a casserole dish and pour the dressing on. flip them over and pour more dressing...bake in oven (I can't remember how long... or the temp, its in my notes at home and I'm not there currently...but however YOU bake pork chops, is fine. the Mango Poppyseed dressing is AWESOME on chops. My husband actually came up with it...we were in the store and he saw the dressing and said this looks like it would be good... so I said "let's try it on the pork chops"... and voila. we have our own family favorite.

the girls say my mashed taters are the best too... secret: I chop up fresh garlic and boil it WITH the potatoes. kids think I'm a genius lol. y'all probably all do this trick haha.

I rarely bake cornbread unless I'm making "dressing" (as opposed to "stuffing", which has flour-based bread crumbs, in my book anyway, lol). I fry cornbread: just plain cornmeal, a little salt, and water, thick enough to spoon into patties in hot oil and brown nicely. That's what I want with my vegetables.

Are smoked pork chops still easily available? Haven't had them for the longest!

Dill pickles have been mentioned quite a bit, of late; I would like to make a statement, LOL:

"Clausen, Hearty Garlic, Deli-Style, Sandwich Slices" rule! Read the label carefully; they make other close varieties.

Donut experts: Have Entenmann's chocolate-dipped donuts gotten smaller?

A nice day, today; high of 74°. A pair of young squirrels were harassing some flowers on the deck. The bird feeder may have been a mistake.

Squirrel, did you have baccalà at Christmas?

Still do, and on all religious holidays. Though now I can only find it in one little Italian market.

When we were growing up, my Mom, grandmother, and aunts / uncles on the Italian side would say when we misbehaved: "Colpisce con un baccala." It basically means that they would hit us with a baccala. For everyone else, a baccala is a type of cod fish that is dried and salted. It is hard as a rock when you buy it, and it has to be soaked for a few days to rehydrate it before cooking. Made a good paddle. LOL

Sirramix, try milk and Vernors Ginger Ale (if you can get it.) Non-diet pop, and whole milk, though! That mix was sold at the factory soda fountain.

I will take a pass on the tentacled food; in MI, octopi are thrown out onto hockey-rink ice! The stuff I've tried probably didn't have enough butter/garlic on it, LOL!

Squirrel, did you have baccalà at Christmas?

Vernor's is extremely rare outside of Michigan/Northern Ohio. As are a good deal of Faygo's flavors.

I have kin that transport both across state lines, LOL! On top of the taste, Faygo comes in such pretty colors...

I do every time I visit home. Not big on the Vernor's, but it comes in handy for sore throat/laryngitis. Rock 'n Rye is my favorite Faygo though. Down here we get orange, red, peach and not a whole lot else.

Missharleyquinn, we have Vernor's over here in Pennsylvania, too. I have some in my fridge right now because it was on sale last week.

The stores here also have Faygo (2 liter and single serve bottles) in grape, orange, lemon-lime, root beer, red pop (strawberry), and cream soda. I only buy the red pop and cream soda once in a while in the single serve bottles.

MissHarley, Rock and Rye is the flavor that gets exported! I think it's a mix of cola, and cream soda.

I heard that years ago hospital nurses offered Vernors to patients having some stomach upset. The ginger and carbonation, probably.

Right after my mom and dad got married, Mom made some bisquits... Dad bounced one off the floor, LOL!

Jiffy is a Michigan company. They offer tours, but one is not really on my wish list, even though I use Jiffy for an occasional peach cobbler.

Missharleyquinn, we have Vernor's over here in Pennsylvania, too. I have some in my fridge right now because it was on sale last week.

The stores here also have Faygo (2 liter and single serve bottles) in grape, orange, lemon-lime, root beer, red pop (strawberry), and cream soda. I only buy the red pop and cream soda once in a while in the single serve bottles.

We have all the same Faygo flavors you do (in 12 packs, and only at certain stores), and every once in awhile I can find pineapple in a bottle. They make so many more though that don't make it out of Michigan/Ohio :( When I go home (Michigan), I end up buying silly amounts of Faygo because there are so many choices. There's a cotton candy one I'd love to try.

I don't like ginger ale, though. And while Vernor's is a little different, it's still yucky to me. I have to be really sick to heat it and drink it.

And I, too, have made hockey puck biscuits. Rubber gravy to go with them. That was a disastrous breakfast attempt.

Does Faygo still make "Fruit Punch?" It looked pretty in the bottle, but the taste was a toss-up. I spoke to a guy that was a security guard at Faygo. He was proud to work there, and was an expert on the flavors.

We have all different brands of Ginger Ale here, Vernor's included but I rather make my own. Bruise the ginger root & bring to an almost boil in the water. Let it cool then add club soda, tonic water or whatever you want. I do buy Ginger Beer though.

A. GUY, thanks but no thanks on the ginger ale & milk. Especially whole milk. Lactose intolerance doesn't allow me to drink milk unless it's lactose free. Never quite understood why the lactase enzyme would not automatically be put in all milk. It wouldn't affect those tolerant already. When I could drink it, 2% or less. Anymore is too thick for my taste. :)

Here's a weird food fetish I have. I won't eat raw onions at all yet love it cooked or as onion rings. Go figure.

I've seen Faygo a lot here. I get the Chek colas, a Winn-Dixie brand. All kinds of flavors.

Sirramix, I think the reason many dairy products are not lactose-free is because if you don't drink it with the lactose in it, you lose tolerance over time.

I meant to include in that last post that I toured the Jiffy factory on an elementary school field trip, and it was quite fun. I recommend it if you're nearby. It was a long bus ride for us though.

And I, too, hate raw onions. Can eat them cooked, on pizza, onion rings, grilled, whatever. But can taste them in anything raw, no matter how well they're mixed or finely chopped.

Back