Weird Food Mash-Ups

The only seafood I don't eat is sea urchin. No mashup with anything else. That stuff is gross to me & I have tried it. There's not much I won't try.

OC, don't be sorry. At least you know what it is now :)

Ketchup or Tabasco and cheese on eggs.
Grilled peanut butter and marshmallow cream or chocolate. Grilled with LOTS of salted butter.
French fries with malt vinegar and salt.
Macaroni and tomatoes.
A1 steak sauce in macaroni and cheese.
Grilled cheese with salsa, ketchup, or spicy ranch.
Waffles with powdered sugar and whipped cream, or cinnamon sugar and whipped cream.
Apple slices with cinnamon and sugar.
Dill pickles and mayonnaise in tuna.
Roma/cherry tomatoes, halved in Italian dressing with mozzarella cheese.

O.K. I must admit here.........while it has been very interesting to read all these really different things, there have been a lot of dishes mentioned I would not eat, and even reading made me blanch a bit. LOL
Squirrel, make deviled eggs the same way, though because I no longer can eat them (allergy) have not done so in a long time.
But it is fun reading the different things people use as a dip for french fries, or chips. I also prefer Miracle Whip to Mayo....and no one even mentioned Miracle Whip. See, that is interesting, too.

When I was growing up my family used only Miracle Whip but we called it mayonnaise. Never, ever had real mayonnaise in the house. My sister and I still call Miracle Whip mayonnaise but now I keep both because I prefer each one for particular things.

A side note--my mother grew up poor, in a large family. Like most people in this area during the hard times of the 1920s and 1930s, they mostly lived on what they could grow, which had its limitations in a land that was often short on water. She said she promised herself when she got grown she was going to have all the mayonnaise (probably meaning Miracle Whip) she wanted!

Well I guess as far as "mash ups" I like corn mixed with real mashed potatoes and sausage gravy with some fresh diced onions in it
Love tomato and onion on liverwurst sandwich Only butter on the bread
Sharp cheddar cheese and Hershey's dark chocolate YUM and last but not least
Wavy potato chips dipped in a chocolate malt (also like Slim Jims dipped in it too)
By the way, Cowgirl I like mountain oysters !!!

edited to write out texting phrase....JS

Oooh, love tomato & onion on liverwurst.
Here is a "want to laugh and make a face" dept. While pregnant, for some reason I loved limburger cheese & sliced onion on rye bread, buttered. Also on crackers. My sister-in-law was also pregnant and I cannot remember which one of us was first, but we would have this together all the time. (we were close). My father-in-law loved limburger cheese, no one else in the family did. And it smells to high heaven. And after giving birth, neither of us ever touched it. LOLOL

The older folks in my family seemed to prefer Miracle Whip, while the younger folks (probably starting around my parents or maybe grandparents) seem to prefer mayonnaise. My mother-in-law taught me to make deviled eggs, and she uses "salad dressing". I didn't realize until just a month or so ago that "salad dressing" is what the brand name Miracle Whip is! And I suppose it is different from mayo because it is tangier? I don't eat either, unless mixed in something (like deviled eggs or tuna/chicken salad, etc) - and very lightly, I might add. I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't know this before now! LOL!

My mom and her huge family of relatives always made a salad with only mayo or miracle whip as the dressing. The first time my mom saw "vinegar and oil" on a salad at my home, she was very hesitant (but loved it). And despite the fact I told everyone exactly what I did, when I went anywhere for dinner, I was asked to "make the vinegar & oil" dressing. LOL Yes, it was always so good, I had a neighbor who would actually be licking the sides of the bowl. LOL

When I was little, I thought everyone ate Hellmann's mayo or Miracle Whip on their salads. Hellmann's at my house, and Miracle Whip at my aunt's. When I was maybe around 10, my Mom started making oil and vinegar dressing or buying the seasoning packets of 4 Seasons Italian dressing that you mixed up at home with oil and vinegar.

Are you guys talking about mayo on your salad - like lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, etc? Not like a tuna salad or chicken salad? Ewwww! :sick:

Exactly.
Back in the 1940s and 1950s, there were no commercially made salad dressings that were readily available and/or affordable. It was a big deal when 4 Seasons and Hidden Valley came out with the powdered seasonings that you mixed up at home with mayo or oil and vinegar.

Like you would a peanut butter & jelly or whatever, except then you fry it like you would a grilled cheese.

I put peanut butter on one slice of bread, marshmallow cream or chocolate spread (the stuff Hershey makes is excellent) on the other, butter the pan heavily (and melt more butter each time I flip the sandwich). I leave it on long enough to brown the bread, since it doesn't take very long to melt the insides.

deviled eggs is a family favorite around here... and I use Miracle Whip (any other kind of mayo is gross to me), mustard, sweet relish (I use a paper towel on it first to get some of the juice off, too juicy and it doesn't taste as good), salt and pepper mixed with yoke and then sprinkle paprika on top. yum!

I make a sandwich with ham and miracle whip on one half, turkey and mustard on the other, heat it up in the microwave, and then put crunchy cool ranch Doritos on the sandwich. best. sandwich. ever. taught my little sis how to make it...we call it the 30 second sandwich because that's how long we heat it in the microwave for. sometimes I also add a slice of tomato.

My co-worker says I'm weird for putting ketchup on my chicken biscuit... I don't like jelly on my chicken... so I treat it like a sandwich. She puts mustard on her chicken biscuit, so I tell her we are even, cause that's really weird too. haha!

i don't know if this is a "strange food mash up" or not... I don't think it's weird, but y'all might. but I make corn casserole (I do, however, husk my own corn- boil it, chill it and freeze it)... but the casserole consist of 2 pints of fresh corn (the corn I husked from the field at Grandma's house), 1 can of cream corn, 1 stick of butter, 1 8oz can of sour cream, and 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. In a bowl, I melt the butter and then stir in the sour cream, then add the other ingredients and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour it into a greased up or non-stick casserole dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes or until done. (stick a knife in the middle, if it comes up clean- it's done!)

the corn casserole is sort of famous for me... A while back, co-workers and I were planning to prepare a meal for a friend whose father had passed away. When we asked her what she would like us to make, she said "whatever you do, make sure Steph makes the corn casserole." :) haha... I felt loved. She did indeed get her own corn casserole.

When I was a kid, I always wanted KMP sandwiches (ketchup, mustard, and dill pickles). My mother wouldn't let me have them often, though, lol. Not much nutrition there.

i don't know if this is a "strange food mash up" or not... I don't think it's weird, but y'all might. but I make corn casserole (I do, however, husk my own corn- boil it, chill it and freeze it)... but the casserole consist of 2 pints of fresh corn (the corn I husked from the field at Grandma's house), 1 can of cream corn, 1 stick of butter, 1 8oz can of sour cream, and 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. In a bowl, I melt the butter and then stir in the sour cream, then add the other ingredients and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour it into a greased up or non-stick casserole dish and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes or until done. (stick a knife in the middle, if it comes up clean- it's done!)

the corn casserole is sort of famous for me... A while back, co-workers and I were planning to prepare a meal for a friend whose father had passed away. When we asked her what she would like us to make, she said "whatever you do, make sure Steph makes the corn casserole." :) haha... I felt loved. She did indeed get her own corn casserole.

LOVE Corn Casserole! We call it Baked Cornbread but this is the same recipe. We eat it for breakfast, as an accompaniment to ribs, steak, and have even had it as a dessert by pouring a little bit of sweetened condensed milk over it. Not too much though as it will be too sweet.

Exactly.
Back in the 1940s and 1950s, there were no commercially made salad dressings that were readily available and/or affordable. It was a big deal when 4 Seasons and Hidden Valley came out with the powdered seasonings that you mixed up at home with mayo or oil and vinegar.

I would "appreciate" this, but I'm afraid I just can't! Yuck (to the mayo/Miracle Whip/salad dressing... LOL!

Sirramix, try milk and Vernors Ginger Ale (if you can get it.) Non-diet pop, and whole milk, though! That mix was sold at the factory soda fountain.

I will take a pass on the tentacled food; in MI, octopi are thrown out onto hockey-rink ice! The stuff I've tried probably didn't have enough butter/garlic on it, LOL!

Squirrel, did you have baccalà at Christmas?

Back