What Would People Be Surprised to Know About you?

Dana

Reaction score
I went out with a friend tonight who is a broadcaster for WLRN (the Public radio station in Miami). During our conversation I mentioned that a friend of mine in Boston was a broadcaster for WEEI--the sports radio station (BORING). I later referred to the fact that he was the person with whom I watched DOOL (on Soapnet) every night. She was surprised--to say the least--and said (quite humorously): "What else would I be surprised to know about you?"

Since my "Occupations" thread seemed to be well received, and I (personally) very much enjoyed reading about all your occupations, I thought that this might also be an interesting thread helping us to (continue to) get to know each other.

What would people be surprised to know about me?
1-I watch Days of Our Lives every day......OOPS, sorry, that's not a surprise.

1-If I could have another occupation, I would be a big game veterinarian at the National Zoological Gardens of South Africa.
2-I still have my first Teddy Bear and bring him with me when I travel.

Next?

Oh, what a fun idea.

LOL I also still have my first Teddy Bear, but he just sits on a shelf. I think he would fall apart if handled much.

I was a cheerleader for 3 of my 4 high school years.

Wow, I think I must live a pretty boring life. I can't think of anything that would really surprise anyone very much. I'm very much a "home body".

Oh, I did have that summer marriage several years ago. Yep. 3 months.

hmmm... surprising...

well, I'm Head Duck for a Rubber Duck Derby team every year- and I help the Greenville Rotary prepare 10,000-11,000 rubber ducks for race day first week of May. (by the way--- MY RUBBER DUCK TEAM WON THIS YEAR, this means my charity gets an extra 10% --- my charity is my church. I'm tithing and I know it.)

Speaking of which --- members of my husband's family are members of the church that made this video:

...surprising... i can't think of anything right now...except for the fact that I did something this morning a little surprising... I gave my 3 year old a strawberry donut with cream cheese frosting and a banana, and juice for breakfast this morning... and dropped her off at day care all pumped with sugar. lol. i wonder what mean things the teachers are calling me right now...

lol, we all tell a lot about ourselves at times here...but...let's see...I have a piano and an antique pump organ in my living room, and I DON'T PLAY. (well, one finger, maybe) And I also have a teddy bear...she wears pearls, sits in a rocker, and wears a hat, resides on the end of the piano. LOLOL

Things you might be surprised to know about me...(this could be a long list)
--I had my first pacemaker put in at 26, second at 37
--I had an 8 month marriage that ended because he was a cheating alcoholic who decided it was easier to try to kill me than get a divorce
--(kpatch knows this but others don't) I am months away from receiving my PhD. in Rhetoric and Communications

Things you might be surprised to know about me...(this could be a long list)
--I had my first pacemaker put in at 26, second at 37
--I had an 8 month marriage that ended because he was a cheating alcoholic who decided it was easier to try to kill me than get a divorce
--(kpatch knows this but others don't) I am months away from receiving my PhD. in Rhetoric and Communications

Oooh congratulations! What an accomplishment :)

Hmmm, lets see.
Well, you guys will probably think that I'm pretty young to be obsessed with a soap, I'm only sixteen, and in Grade Eleven.
My birthday is the same day (obviously not year) as Days, November 8th :)
My absolute dream job is to become a Pediatrician (which some of you probably already know). If specializing didn't take an addition 2-4 years (on top of the eleven I already have to do), I would love to become a Pediatric Surgeon or Pediatric Gastroenterologist (digestion).
And....I absolutely hate sports, which may seem surprising because most girls my age love them. There is not a single sport (except for Gymnastics and Swimming if they count), that I enjoy. I would probably kick a basketball and shoot a soccerball :p

What a fun thread! :)

1. I have that '6th' sense' with animals and love volunteering at our wild animal rescue center.
2. My teddy bears are all Boyds.........nursing........and models in my first name.
3. Even though I live in the southwest [DH transferred years ago] and much of my extended family followed us here from the midwest: I love cold misty rainy and snowy days! Give me a temperature under 55F and I shine!

Well some people know some of these things about me from Donut thread.

I LOVE to go riding 4 wheelers....camp out the whole weekend and just have a blast
I married my high school sweetheart....and when we started dating, I was a senior and he was a freshman!! Yes, I robbed the cradle.
My oldest daughter will be graduating high school on June 2nd :cry:
My mom died of brain cancer almost 2 yrs ago.
I LOVE to watch the Astros...winning or losing, just love the game.

Ahhh...something none of you know....I sucked my fingers until I was 7!!!

What a fun thread! :)
1. I have that '6th' sense' with animals and love volunteering at our wild animal rescue center.
2. My teddy bears are all Boyds.........nursing........and models in my first name.
3. Even though I live in the southwest [DH transferred years ago] and much of my extended family followed us here from the midwest: I love cold misty rainy and snowy days! Give me a temperature under 55F and I shine!

that's neat about your 6th sense! I didn't think about this being "surprising" - but my hubby and I used to run a Pit Bull Rescue. Now we just transport pit bulls from the shelter to other rescues. We also try to save other dogs - we are open to any breed, but we have a love for the pit bull and a passion for changing people's misguided opinions about them. Hubby used to be supervisor over the County Shelter before he was promoted to a new job at a different company... and we have a serious love for animals of any kind. My youngest spent many days with daddy at the shelter-- and she is not afraid of any dog, and at age 3, knows well to ask the doggies' owner first if you can pet. People are always amazed at how unafraid she is, she'll let any dog kiss her face.. whether its a chihuahua or a Great Dane. She loves to hold the pet iguana at her sister's school (whom her sister will not touch). I think my little Lexie will be a veterinarian someday, possibly for exotic animals or something. :)

Also... on the sports thing:
I love sports... I don't like to watch them on tv much, would much rather be at the game cheering my favorite teams. Football, Basketball, and swimming are my favorite sports. I play on a basketball team....and know enough about football and swimming that I could coach it. lol.

I am an avid swimming supporter. My kids will not have a choice in that one-- they HAVE to be on the swim team at least the summer league, if not the school league. Reason: I used to be a life guard, and safety auditor/CPR instructor. GOOD swimmers drown every summer. I want my kids to be STRONG swimmers. I swam on a summer league team for 13 years. And I was the Butterfly swimmer for my high school my senior year. Swimming ability is very important to me. Swimming is by far the most important thing you can teach someone. Once, I taught lessons to a woman who was 45 and had been afraid of water since she was 4. She had back surgery and was told to do water exercises. In just the 2 weeks she paid for my personal training- she was swimming laps with a kick board. and even went into the deep end (as long as I treaded water beside her)... I was so proud of her progress. Swimming is healthy and kind to your joints.

MIND YOU:: this swimming stuff was before I had children. I've gained weight and don't swim as fast as I used to. I still swim though, and I do as much as I can. and even as the chubby wubby I am today, I play basketball and do my best to keep up with the chicken legs running around me LOL.

This is a fun thread. I wish I could respond to everyone because I think you all have interesting things to tell.

Hope*Brady, I had no idea you were as young as you are!

I will have to try to think of something to tell about myself. Oh, I still have a working electric razor which my mother gave to me when I was 16. I should do a commercial for Remington. lol.... Does that company even still exist?

DaysLady: that is so wonderful about your daughter! And I love hearing you're involved in rescuing animals.

This is a fun thread. I wish I could respond to everyone because I think you all have interesting things to tell.

Hope*Brady, I had no idea you were as young as you are!

I will have to try to think of something to tell about myself. Oh, I still have a working electric razor which my mother gave to me when I was 16. I should do a commercial for Remington. lol.... Does that company even still exist?

Hahahaha yeah it does! I have an electric Remington rasor and so does my mom!

Well, here is something. I love flowers and planting them, etc. and have the brownest thumb ever. I swear if I even look at a plant, it dies. I mean, who can kill cactus? LOL. I also always loved to dance, was really good at it (social dancing), and could follow anyone. Have twice had absolute strangers ask me to dance and we'd end up with everyone in a huge circle around us watching. LOL. Those days are long gone, but twas fun.

Hmmm...:) I am such an open book. I don't know what will surprise you all...:p

Some of you know this - I'll have just turned 42, and will be going to college in the fall. What you don't know it is to become a Physical Therapist Assistant.
I am an avid Texas Longhorn fan, and will scream loudly (DURING FOOTBALL!) at the tv because of missed plays, bad call by refs, and whoop and hollar when my boys do GOOD.
May not be surprised I love to write, but maybe that I am working on a book hopefully that will be completed this year...
I am scared to death of those flyover bridges in big cities. (not riding, but DRIVING over them )
I love WOLVES!!! In fact, my oldest daughter got me a wolf t-shirt for Mother's day!!! LOL.

another thing that might be surprising to you: even as much as I love animals...

I'm deathly afraid of spiders. I mean, I have a very severe case of arachnophobia. My 6 year old nephew put a plastic spider... yes, plastic... on my knee and told me to look and I panicked and started crying....went into another room for a bit so he wouldn't see just how bad off I was lol... of course, typical boy, he just laughed and laughed. quite embarrassing. and I don't want to talk about overcoming said fear. I actually got angry and upset over a tv show where a girl who was just like me was going through therapy to overcome and they made her sleep in a room with spiders in it. I.was.livid. and i cried with the poor girl on tv LOL.

saddest part: my kids are NOT afraid. Jenna - my oldest, comes to my rescue all the time. She picks them up and feeds them to our huge fish (he's a south american cichlid the size of my head)... she's 7 now and its getting less pitiful lol...when she was 3 and would rescue her poor little mama from the vicious eight legged creature in the kitchen (she picks them up and either feeds them to the fish or takes them outside)... that was kind of sad. my friends still laugh at my expense lol. i don't care, i'm glad God gave me a kid that will save me. lol

another thing that might be surprising to you: even as much as I love animals...

I'm deathly afraid of spiders. I mean, I have a very severe case of arachnophobia. My 6 year old nephew put a plastic spider... yes, plastic... on my knee and told me to look and I panicked and started crying....went into another room for a bit so he wouldn't see just how bad off I was lol... of course, typical boy, he just laughed and laughed. quite embarrassing. and I don't want to talk about overcoming said fear. I actually got angry and upset over a tv show where a girl who was just like me was going through therapy to overcome and they made her sleep in a room with spiders in it. I.was.livid. and i cried with the poor girl on tv LOL.

saddest part: my kids are NOT afraid. Jenna - my oldest, comes to my rescue all the time. She picks them up and feeds them to our huge fish (he's a south american cichlid the size of my head)... she's 7 now and its getting less pitiful lol...when she was 3 and would rescue her poor little mama from the vicious eight legged creature in the kitchen (she picks them up and either feeds them to the fish or takes them outside)... that was kind of sad. my friends still laugh at my expense lol. i don't care, i'm glad God gave me a kid that will save me. lol

You and me both! My three biggest fears are spiders, drowning, and heights. One time I was doing homework (as always :p) in my dads home office, and I turned and there was a huge spider by the door! Now guys, don't think my house is dirty, because trust me my mom is an absolute clean fanatic, but this thing was massive. I honestly started hyperventilating and bawling. Luckily, my dad came to the rescue. Gotta love that guy :)

Yes, I'm a bit of a drama queen.

@ Poriot - I have a green thumb, but if I kill anything, it will be a cactus! I have to make myself not water them as soon as the soil is dry. I really need to replace one of my daughter's cacti again, because I killed the second one of that variety.

@ CTG - I didn't know that we're the same age. I just turned 42 in January.

@ Hope*Brady - I had no idea that you were that young either.

Okay, what people may not know about me…I sleep with two stuffed frogs, one purple and one blue.

I have a bug phobia, but it’s not all bugs. Spiders (yes, I know spiders are archnids not bugs, but some people with bug phobias fear spiders as well), bees, wasps – they don’t scare me at all. I have a healthy respect for the poisonous spiders, and I know from personal experience that wolf spiders hurt when they bite. In the spider's defense, I didn't see it in the grass and all but stepped on it. My poor ex-husband was terrified of them, so I occasionally had to rescue him from them. (My ex and I are still friends; we’re just no good married.) Cockroaches, not the really small ones, just the ones that are about an inch long or longer, especially the ones that fly, June bugs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllophaga_(genus) beetles in general, and cicadas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada all absolutely freak me out. June bugs are bad because right after dark, if you have the lights on outside, with fly around the lights, bouncing off the building. They’re quite erratic and I’m terrified of getting one stuck in my hair. I have figured out that if I wait until just after 9 pm to go out, they're not a problem. I'm sure that will get later as the weather warms up. Praying Mantis rather squick me out too, but really only frighten me if they fly at me. Moths flying really close to me make me nervous, but I’m okay with butterflies.

A couple of years ago, I went to a butterfly festival, and at it someone was selling Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar_hissing_cockroach A little girl, about 5 or 6, had gotten one as a pet and was showing it off. When she took it out of its cage, she had it on a toilet paper tube (thank goodness they don’t fly) and offered to let us pet it. I was trying to conquer my fear, so I took her up on it. I only touched it once though. My husband was impressed. Funny thing though, if she’d been holding it in her hand, there is no way I’d have touched it.

After a year or so reading this forum and laughing along with so many of you, I finally decided to join the party. I feel like I know you some of you already and hope to be accepted into the crew because of our joint love (and sometimes hate/frustration) of Days. I have been an avid view of Days for 30+ years and really enjoy explaining the dagger tattoo that I have on the inside of my left calf to those who are surprised to see the 'conservative' John in a pair of shorts sporting a tat! I got the tat when I graduated College as a tribute to the Bo, Britta and Patch love triangle that happened in the Summer of my Junior year in High School. I knew that I wanted a tattoo of a dagger when I watched that summer, but I was to young to get one and my parents would not allow it. When I graduated college and visited my girlfriend in Pennsylvania - I went and got it - I never forgot! Love Days. Love Bo and Hope, Justin and Adrianne etc. Miss the Good "Ol Days", but still like the New Days. Chandler Massey is a force!

Back