What Would People Be Surprised to Know About you?

Well I do enjoy gardening, actually. I'm a flower guy, and this year with our new big yard I went cuckoo bananas for flowers. We have 13 hanging baskets in the front walk, 10 in the side yard, 4 in the backyard, and 4 on the side of the house, plus a huge basket in the middle of our front yard. We also grow a lot of veggies (peppers, cukes, zucchini, tomatoes, spices mostly) which we freeze and eat through the (usually very long) winter!

Oh, and I did actually think of something. I own about 900 CDs, and I bought 200 of them last year. Played a lot of catch up from all the years of college and graduate school, I did!

My eyes change colors from purple to blue to green. My doctor insists they are not hazel - he states that's an old wrong saying........it all depends on the color of the flecks in your iris!

Ooooh, fun.

Surprising things about me...
1. I just published a suspense novel called Intentional Stranger
2. I met my husband on a popular dating site contrary to my family thinking I was going to meet a serial killer, married him after dating 8 months and we have been happily married now for almost seven years.
3. At 40 years of age, I'm the youngest of seven kids in a very dysfunctional family.
4. I'm completely addicted to eating peanut butter down to eating it straight out of the jar. I've had to start buying the snack size and asking my family to hide the jars so I don't see them. I have tore up the pantry looking for peanut butter! :)
5. I'm horribly deathly afraid of rats. I don't even like squirrels because of the likeness.

I'm completely addicted to eating peanut butter down to eating it straight out of the jar. I've had to start buying the snack size and asking my family to hide the jars so I don't see them. I have tore up the pantry looking for peanut butter! :)
Seriously??? I did that too - I had to use negative association to stop craving it because I was eating 2000 calories of it per day.

Seriously??? I did that too - I had to use negative association to stop craving it because I was eating 2000 calories of it per day.
Jason, I am serious. I knew I had a problem when I ate about a half a jar of peanut butter, got mad and threw it out and THEN ran back to go get it. Yes, only snack packs now and some days those still can be a huge temptation.

My oldest daughters's eyes do the same thing, and gray too. Her eyes are mostly bluish or grayish, but they've gone all the way to all of those colors at one time or another. Once they were even headed towards a yellow shade.

Gee, I thought mine just changed depending on what color I was wearing. Because they do look different at times.

My eyes were deep dark "cow poop" brown from my little Italian mother. Due to the very high amount of steroids that I've been on for 20 years, the melanin has been leeched out. My eyes are now "hazel" like my father's even though my driver's license says brown because that is the color I was born with. If I could ever get off the steroids (no chance), my eyes would eventually return to brown.

Time out for a lesson (sorry, I teach this to school kids as part of my job)

Your eye color depends on the melanin that you have in the pigment epithilium layer on the back of your iris. The color and amount of each is determined by heredity, but can be affected by outside influences. There are only 3 colors of pigment...brown, yellow, and blue. The biggest difference is how much melanin is present in the stroma (front layer of the iris), and how the cellular density scatters light. This is similar to the sky looking blue by how the light is split up when it comes through the atmosphere. Other pigments can be present in the stroma as flecks, star bursts, or rings of color.

There are 7 main categories of eye color (with many subsets). There are as many different eye colors as there are people.

Amber...solid golden brown, do not change color
Brown....most prevalent
Hazel......dominate background color can be brown green, or amber with flecks of the other 2 colors in them/ appear to change color with change of lighting, clothing, etc.
Gray ......may be solid or have tiny flecks of brown, green, or gray making them appear to change color
Green ..... the rarest
Blue....... Violet eyes ala Liz Taylor are actually blue
Red / Violet.....found with albinism due to light reflecting off the blood vessels in the retina

Squirrel, that was a lot to absorb. But interesting. Especially about the steriods and the list of eye colors. My sister has green so I guess she's rare. I always thought they were prettier than my hazel, which is neither this nor that. Your original color sounds something like my mother and two of my kids. Have to say I'd never thought of it is cow poop. Lol..... They seem nearly black to me. Then my dad and one of my kids--light blue.

My favorite color is blue. My favorite thing to look at in nature is the sky. I find the big, open sky soothing.

I am 27. I work in a library (my 3 rd old son is quite the little reader- well kind of, he likes to brag to his friends).

I'm 32 and used to work in a library! The library is still one of my all-time favorite places to go.

On the peanut butter discussion, I sometimes mix peanut butter and pancake syrup and eat that off a spoon. That is intensely sweet and sticky.

On the bug discussion, I hate them all. I despise snakes and scorpions. Living in the country doesn't make it easier either.

I'll have to think a bit to see if I can come up with something "surprising". My mind is blank right now.

oh! thought of a good one.

I have 10 piercings in one ear and 2 in the other.
In my left ear I have a piercing inside the "cup" of the ear and the right ear I have the little "tab" pierced.
I also have my tongue pierced and have had that done for 10 years or so.
I had my navel pierced once, but I was having to lean over into tall metal boxes a whole lot so it didn't last.
The ears are a 20+ year project. Every now and again I'll decide to get another hole punched. :)

LOL, I cannot bear the thought of even getting one pierced.
what fun and surprising things we are learning about each other.
O.K. you all know now I am a good dancer and lousy gardener. What would surprise you? That I have been President of a lot of different organizations? Yes, a lot. Even elected to office in my community and served 9 years. This from someone so shy I could not talk in public, in high school was a disaster at those verbal book reports the English teachers made one do. I wrote a column for our newspaper for a while, newsletters for school PTAs, made Honor Society in high school, but would have given it all up to have been a cheerleader. Oh, how I wanted that, not to be.
And I took Latin for 3 years.....
I love to read....and am guilty of re-reading books multiple times. I bet I read Little Women over 100 times. And the Agatha Christie books..... multiples. LOL
And I am not in the least creative. I do not sew, knit, crochet, paint, craft, etc. Just give me a crossword puzzle or suduku and away I go. LOL

I love Harry Potter I'm signing up for North carolinas national guard hopefully on my 19th birthday. I'm still in high school. Dumb tests.

I'm also a readaholic. I have 6 floor-to-ceiling bookcases crammed with books. And more in boxes. While I love my tablet, and that is the future way people will read books, I cherish my treasured hardbound books!:)

Noel, me too! I have so many books in boxes that I just don't have enough bookshelves for. Many of mine favorites are actually library discards. And the non-fiction ones are actually shelved by the Dewey Decimal System. Yes, I am a library nerd. :)

I turned down George Clooney.

Spiders..... A couple months ago I was taking a muscle relaxer that had an interesting side affect. I halucinated that as I was laying in bed a giant spider the size of a softball with legs about a foot long each slid down the ceiling on it's web and crawled on my leg. I jumped and it wriggled back up the web string. My hubby came in the room as I was yelling "turn on the light turn on the light, giant spider giant spider". The funny thing is I read that halucinations that you know aren't real but still creep you out was not uncommon.

I have 7 chickens. Sunny, Voldemort, Velosa Raptor, Pigeodo (also called Big Red), ODB (Old Dirty Bast#$%), Gandalf, and Frodo. We lost Mr Rogers and Dead Red.

Back