Departing

I agree with you, KathyLu. I really hope they are not bringing Jack back to pay for all of this all over again. Now that his daughter has been raped, I'm worried they are going to do some big thing about her finding out about Kayla and hating her dad. He was an entirely different character back then.

The point of my post is that previous rape storylines haven't stopped writers from pairing up a couple before. Again, I absolutely do not want this to happen. I'm just looking at the patterns I've seen, and I'm worried.

I'm more in line with Poirot, let her be by herself for a while. Let her form relationships that aren't romantic, grow as a person. Maybe she can have a little romance eventually, or a bad date that she complains to the girls about (that would actually be funny). But if Steve eventually does come back, I don't want him breaking up a wedding because the writers rushed to stick her with the first single man she's on screen with after Steve leaves.

Last edited:
I think part of the issue with Hope may be dictated by the actress demanding that Hope be in a romantic pairing. I don't think Mary Beth Evans (Kayla) will do that. I attended a fan event with the actors who play Steve and Kayla 2 weeks ago and it was clear that both of them want Steve and Kayla together long term. Not that that will help whatever is going on with Stephen Nichols' (Steve) contract but I doubt Kayla will move on quickly. She'll probably just be backburnered and appear as the town doctor and in scenes with Tripp and maybe Jen's kids.

Back to Hope, the show seems to write 50+ year old Grandma Hope as 30+ year old lead actress ingenue Hope. That's not the same thing. As these supercouples age, the writing needs to age with them. Hope should be seen in mom and grandma mode. In police commissioner mode as a mentor to younger cops. She can still be sexy and youthful but her role should be evolving from young star to more seasoned parent, grandparent, aunt. The show seems to have this figured out with Marlena and Kayla but not with Hope. So that's why I think we keep seeing her in all these bad pairings.

Hope should be seen in mom and grandma mode. In police commissioner mode as a mentor to younger cops. She can still be sexy and youthful but her role should be evolving from young star to more seasoned parent, grandparent, aunt.

Right?! I'm really not understanding why it is so hard for the writers to come up with good material for the older characters. Let the SORAS kids have the dramatic love triangles and messy romances. Can you imagine if they'd done this sort of thing with Tom and Alice back in the day?

While I am on again off again with Rafe and Hope, after Hope's last hypocritical behaviour towards Rafe when he slept with Sami, I am off the Rafe and Hope train for good. Aiden and Hope were a great pairing that fans seemed to root for, overall.

I don't know why people can't be single AND happy on soaps for at least a little while. It's called character growth.

And speaking of character growth, something drastic needs to happen to Kate for her character development.

Hope and Rafe are making me gag right now. I have a hard time stomaching them.

They can take Claire and go for a long visit to see Belle and Shawn wherever they are and never come back as far as I'm concerned. TITB (the idiots that be) are ruining both of their characters in my book. Of course that's just my opinion as always!

I am so loving Ciara and Ben.

I couldn't agree more. I think there's a place on the show for romances at all ages. It just needs to make sense.

YES. That's what is driving me nuts. The on-again, off-again stories needs to stop. If Steve is leaving the show, let him just be off-camera or something and if he comes back, have them pick up like nothing is different instead of the "I'm so sorry baby, give me another chance!" mess again.

As for the supercouples who ARE and will remain separated, I just want them to make it believable. I don't want Hope alone in some town house with a million cats. I just want her to stop acting like 18 year-old Hope because the writers think for some reason that writing the characters the way they used to be is what will satisfy our nostalgia. Instead of some weird love triangle with Sami, focus on the "love moves on" aspect of this romance and how there isn't necessarily just one person out there for everyone.

Give real people hope that at some point that the dramatic dating and revolving door relationship mess ends someday and there are happily-ever-afters. I'm turning 30 this weekend which isn't that far of a cry from my young adulthood, and I would ALREADY choose to be single forever before repeating any of the drama-heavy romances that I had in high school.

Last edited:
Back