Donating to the cause...

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As you might notice near the top right, Poirot has gotten her Paypal account settled in the hopes that we help out to upgrade the hardware necessary to receive the show in advance. This would help bring back the Days Ahead Previews.

To help out, just click on the Donate button and follow the easy directions for logging into your Paypal account.

Thanks very much for your help.

Wayne and Barb.

My card didn't work and it's the only card I have, and I know there's a lot of money on the account, I checked it today. Is there any other way for me to pay because I want to help?

thank you so much, it is so kind of you. Wayne could probably answer that better than me, as I am new to this myself. You could open a Paypal account yourself, which is what I did a few years ago, to help with shopping online. Thus you "pay" with Paypal, and the credit card account you have indicated is the one that gets billed by Paypal. I only use one specific credit card for online items.
I had gotten so used to that, thus it took me a while to figure out how to go about being able to "receive" money.
If you are using a debit card, perhaps that is why it did not work. I don't know. I will see if I can find out criteria.

Thank you again.

My card didn't work and it's the only card I have, and I know there's a lot of money on the account, I checked it today. Is there any other way for me to pay because I want to help?
Hi,

You wouldn't directly use a credit card. The donate button leads you to Paypal.com where you would need to log into your Paypal account and send money from there.

Once you click on the "Donate" button, you enter the amount you wish to donate and click "update total". Then, if you have a paypal account, you can log in and follow the directions.

If you don't have a Paypal account, you click the link that says "Continue" on the left hand side under "don't have a Paypal account?" then create one per the instructions on the screen.

I don't know how else Barb is set up to accept donations. She may even accept a check or money order, but I can't speak for her. All I would suggest is that any such payment be made out to "Barbara ?", not "Poirot" or "Salem Spectator".

We've never asked for donations before, so the site doesn't have a commercial bank account so she couldn't cash a check made out to the Spectator, and similarly, they wouldn't know who "Poirot" is.. :)

Thanks,

Wayne

I created a paypal account but cuuldn't add my maestro card, and my visa card is in possession of my administrator indefinetely, so I wonder if you can receive money orders, Barb?

I will PM you, great_Daysfan.....On Saturday

How much is needed? I mean money wise. I looked but I guess I missed it.

Thanks for the info I took me a long time as I have an account, but only used it once and did not remember my passwork. Took forever to get them to allow me to change it. How is the account coming along? Are you near the needed amount?

Thank you all so much. Have a ways to go yet.....but I know the weekend doesn't get much traffic, so hopefully the next few days will help out.

Hello! I joined some time ago and check in and read quite often, but this is my first time posting. I'd love to donate ... I miss days ahead soooo very much! What is the total amount we are going for and could you possibly make a "suggested amount"? That would make things just a bit easier for me and I'll donate right away! Can't wait to have the days ahead back again as well as the lively discussion that follows! :)

I am guessing by reading between the lines and by looking at the previous posts that Barb or Wayne don't want to make a big deal about the amount that is needed. I don't think they would want any of us to put ourselves in hardship giving to the cause. I also think that one should give as they feel led. I am not one who feels good about asking for donations and I am guessing most people feel the same. I don't think anyone wants to set a specific amount that a person should give because no matter what the amount it will be greatly appreciated. If we would happen to go over whatever the particular goal is I feel quite confident that Barb and Wayne will make sure it goes into making this site better for all of us. After all they have dipped into their own pockets to make this place happen. There are lots of people here so every little bit will help!

Donations

:smile:

I've read your site for years. Am happy to donate!! I hope it helps and thank you for all the wonderful work you do!!!

I also was thinking how it might be hard to estimate because there is no way to guess how many people will contribute. Some of us are vocal and talking about it but there could be lots of others who never say anything but would contribute nonetheless. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing as Nurse Hamster, if the amount goes over, it could either go toward months fees or anywhere else Barb and Wayne think it is needed for the board. If lots of us chip in, no one should have to pay a large amount!

Welcome AllAgog! I love your avatar. Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. I get my sister an Audrey Hepburn calendar for Christmas every year.

Suggested donation amounts.

There really aren't any lines to read between here. I don't have the dollar amount needed for the receiver, but I'm betting between the receiver and installation, we could be seeing $250 - $300 worth of outlay.

The reason that we don't "suggest an amount" is that there really is no right amount to suggest. Just keep in mind that in fees, Paypal takes (I believe) either 5% or 7% off the top, so if we say "give $1", then we'd get basically .93 per dollar which means that a great number of members would need to contribute $1 to make it to the desired $300 mark. More members than are willing to contribute I'm afraid.

Likewise, if we said "pretty please, donate $20", we'd get very, very few people actually willing to do so.

I imagine the comfortable zone for most would be a nice, round, $5.00 or $10. More if you feel so inclined, but there is no requirement or pressure whatsoever for you to do so.

Some people in the other thread had mentioned donating $50, and we cannot tell you how much THAT would be appreciated, but again, we are very humbled by the fact that anyone donates at all, and appreciate every single dollar donated to the cause.

I for one, would donate every last penny generated by the advertisements on the site, but as you can find by looking, Ad revenues (through Yahoo) have basically fallen 64% since the economy began collapsing and it'd take 8 months to get that much from the Yahoo ads, and every dime currently received goes to provide hosting for the site.

Wayne

I also was thinking how it might be hard to estimate because there is no way to guess how many people will contribute. Some of us are vocal and talking about it but there could be lots of others who never say anything but would contribute nonetheless. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing as Nurse Hamster, if the amount goes over, it could either go toward months fees or anywhere else Barb and Wayne think it is needed for the board. If lots of us chip in, no one should have to pay a large amount!

Welcome AllAgog! I love your avatar. Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. I get my sister an Audrey Hepburn calendar for Christmas every year.

Exactly on all counts.

Just to be very specific here, we're not asking everyone to "empty your wallets". Anything received over the cause will go directly towards supporting the site's operating costs.

Most pressing (after getting Days Ahead back online) is the need to renew our subscription to the updates for the site's software, which runs $80 per year.

To explain, every month or two, the company that writes the vBulletin software we run comes out with a series of patches to keep us safe and hacker/spam free. In order to receive those patches however, we have to be subscribers to their system.

Our current subscription runs out in November (if it hasn't already). Thanks again, most sincerely for everyone's help and understanding.

Wayne

Happy to Donate!

Hi all, I'm new to the board but have been reading the summaries for a long time--this board rocks! I'm happy to donate to someone who brightens my day 5 times a week :D

Back