Fall Preview

Stefano, Andre, Mickey, Bo, Lexie, Shawn, Sr., ...all legacy characters...plus Alice & Tom
Bo technically wasn't a legacy character because he was not born during the timeframe of the show. (The Brady family was added in later.) Bo's kids are legacy characters. Julie was a core family member from Day 1 of the show, so while not born on the show, her having a protracted, on-screen medical fight that she loses would be different than what soaps usually do. If the story is hospital-focused, a miracle cure saves them. Think of Marlena's coma or Will's recent brain tumor. Was there ever any doubt that they would recover?

Stefano didn't die of a medical issue - Hope shot him.
André - which death? He was usually murdered.
Mickey - offscreen death or you'd be right
Lexie - the setup for her death was different - there was no emphasis on the medical (compare the writing for her to Will)
Shawn, Sr - not a legacy character, and his death was comparatively quick

For sure my definition of legacy is not the same, evidently, as others might be. I do consider the Bradys as much legacy as the Hortons. There are very few Hortons now, same goes for Bradys. One doesn't have to be on the show from Day 1 to be considered "legacy". There are characters who have been with the show over 20 or 30 years. That would include Victor as well. It is amazing they are still on the show.
As far as Stefano goes, he was dying, it was taking a long time. He was confined to a wheel chair, on meds all the time. He did not like being so powerless, dependent on others. His final revenge on the Brady family, in his eyes, was to have a Brady go to prison for his death. Yes, he saw his opportunity, goaded Hope mercilessly, laughing his head off at how well he was succeeding.
A shame the writers did not have Hope pay in some way for it. Would have been good story. Heck, everyone else in Salem has spent time in a cell, or courtroom. Why not Hope?
Anyway, I consider those I mentioned in the above post as legacy. Just MY opinion.

I agree with you Poirot. A character can easily become a legacy character if they are well written and the viewers are invested in their stories. The Brady family may not have been there since the show began but they are connected to the Hortons and other characters.

It seems to me that a lot of the original characters are underused. That could be because, Like Victor, they are getting on in years and need to cut back on their work load.

For sure my definition of legacy is not the same, evidently, as others might be. I do consider the Bradys as much legacy as the Hortons. There are very few Hortons now, same goes for Bradys. One doesn't have to be on the show from Day 1 to be considered "legacy". There are characters who have been with the show over 20 or 30 years. That would include Victor as well. It is amazing they are still on the show.
As far as Stefano goes, he was dying, it was taking a long time. He was confined to a wheel chair, on meds all the time. He did not like being so powerless, dependent on others. His final revenge on the Brady family, in his eyes, was to have a Brady go to prison for his death. Yes, he saw his opportunity, goaded Hope mercilessly, laughing his head off at how well he was succeeding.
A shame the writers did not have Hope pay in some way for it. Would have been good story. Heck, everyone else in Salem has spent time in a cell, or courtroom. Why not Hope?
Anyway, I consider those I mentioned in the above post as legacy. Just MY opinion.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well legacy aside I guess my main contention is that a story that takes place in a hospital usually involves a last-minute cure; Bo's death, Lexie's death, and the off-screen death of other vets were not that. I've struggled to come up with an example on a soap of a long-term character who died after a hospital illness story. I can only think of Mr Santos on All My Children and he was a hated story blocker whose main focus was disliking his children's spouses. He'd not been on the show more than a few years.

Even Asa Buchanan on One Life to Live was killed off before his portrayer, but he died quickly. So my point is - Julie's illness looks like a standard medical story. Let's see if it's different.

Again, all speculation.

With how badly the timelines work on this show, if they don't make it a year at least, we won't be able to tell a difference. I think Jordan gets back in the next couple of weeks, so it has nothing to do with this plot device. I am curious as to how and when they will introduce the jump.

It would be weird if they time jumped to summer in Salem and the watchers are
doing winter.

Who knows? I have read so many theories, speculations, & storylines that are "sure to happen", and stuff getting spread as fact when it started as speculation.....just have to wait and see.
(for instance, some insist it starts at Halloween, others after Day of Days in November, others beginning of October. Some say it will be a back and forth thing (like This is Us), others "know" it will be a straight jump forward, with some saying 6 mos, others 1 year)
And the interesting thing, so far, is the "never been done on daytime before" info has yet to be officially released by the show to ANYONE...mags, websites, columnists, reporters......nada!

Back