Four actors out

They need to start firing writers and unify their vision. Just my opinion. They can rotate actors all they want, but without compelling story, they're in the same quagmire.
Exactly, All of these characters were doomed from the start because of the inept, unimaginative writers. For anyone who remembered Shawn and Belle's battle with Philip over little Claire, this version of Belle was unrecognizable. What woman would get involved again with the lowlife who caused her little daughter to be lost in a typhoon??? As for Shawn and Lani, they were the result of making the Salem P.D. the sole source of employment for new arrivals. Lani as an instant detective was an insult to all members of the police force who would have wanted a promotion, and once she got the job she did precious little detecting. Similarly, Shawn arrived and somehow had acquired the qualifications to be an instant hire for the CSI unit. (If Roman hired these two, why not Rory. At least he'd have been funnier.) Finally, as many have said the biggest rotten apple is Summer, whose character was made all the worse by the fact that her existence significantly tampered with the backstory of a major character. Hopefully, when the psycho mermaid takes her leave, it will be revealed that the DNA test had been tampered with -- perhaps by sleazy conman Dario.

Last edited:
Summer and Lani: Please don't let the door hit you on the way out

I too was someone who waited years for Shawn and Belle to return and was excited when they finally came back. While I agree the writing for both characters has been abominable as it has been for Hope, there is no reason to get rid of them. Belle could have been redeemed. This age group on the show is severely lacking right now and while I'm all for vets getting storylines, the 50+ age range is maxed out.

I also don't like that Marlena won't have a child in Salem unless they are secretly planning to have Sami return. I actually wouldn't put that past this show either.

This really is disheartening. I've seen nothing positive on social media about the show getting rid of Belle and Shawn. In facts, I see fans openly campaigning for the show to get rid of Dena Higley and bring back Josh Griffith yet here we are.

The thing is...that word "balance". Griffith likes to write dark evidently. Murder & mayhem. Unhappy.
Higley writes a lot lighter, but not always with the common sense needed for the various characters and their personality traits.

I don't know if there is too much interference from the networks, if attention is not being paid to storyline bibles/scripts, etc, or if the headwriters would rather be writing novels with all new characters they created.

This is not Dark Shadows, or Father Knows best. It is Days of Our Lives. There is so much history, backstories that could be mined for gold...instead of just digging up mud pies.

I'm very disappointed that Shawn/Brandon Beemer, Belle/Martha Madison, and Lani/Sal Stowers were all let go. Shawn and Belle were part of the Last Blast gang and should be present on the show. As far as Lani goes, I would have enjoyed it if she stayed as it would be nice to see Abe more often as well as Lani forming a sibling relationship with Theo.

I also knew that Summer/Marie Wilson was always meant to be short-term.

I'd much rather see the teens leave. The only one in that group I like is Theo. The other 4 are a waste of space! Can't understand these writers & what they're thinking.

but from the filming schedule, it looks like perhaps Belle, Shawn ...and Summer as well, will be gone in May. A Sweeps month.
This may be true for Summer (and even Lani, given it's been reported she wrapped taping late last year) but I believe Belle and Shawn were fired just last week and from what I understand they are not done taping yet so this may be a case of a hurry-up exit for them this fall. Further proof of this is in late February around their last tape date before the month long break, Deidre Hall (Marlena) posted some pics, seemingly from the set, on Twitter or Facebook with Martha Madison (Belle). Plus, just the reactions from Madison and others (Drake Hogestyn (John) tweeted about his broken heart at this news) makes this seem like rather fresh information.

My guess is that there was disagreement between writers Griffith and Higley about these characters to begin with and now that Higley will be back in charge and Griffith is gone that she led this decision (and yes, I realize head writers are not the only decision makers re: cast but this has Higley "written" all over it).

Honestly I'm scared :eek:. I don't want things to go back like they were. As bad as they are now, it was worse for me. Theresa is in a much better place I don't want that ruined. I couldn't stand Aiden. Afraid it will revert to stuff like the Eve/JJ story that most of us loathed. By the time Eve was fixed she was gone. I fear for Days stories to come. Dena Hac Higley back at the writing helm :cry::fan:

Yes, I'm certain that is last film date, katmouse. The show is due to be back filming on April 4th. So she and Shawn should be onscreen until September. Perhaps Jason47 can tell us the approximate taping schedule.

Should be around early September, unless they are pre-taping some stuff for later in September.

They were practically 6 mos. ahead, then were shut down for these 5 weeks. They will be changing the filming schedule upon return...and then there are those 2 weeks where Days will be off the air for Olympics in August. I am guessing no filming then either. It really is going to take them a long time to get down to even being just 3 months ahead.

Personally, I think they are MAYBE cutting slow, "nothing" scenes for a while now. In fact, there have been pics of scenes published by the show, that never made it to air, even scenes that SHOULD have been shown, and were not. So, it is tiny bits of "shaving" going on......but that is only my opinion & SPECULATION

Back