Interview with Ken Corday

Funny line......he doesn't watch during the day as he is "at work". Wonder where that is? I remember once him saying he was on some island getaway for 6 weeks, pondering getting new writers, and when he returned home, he had decided to do it.

Gotta say, as I was reading the interview, there was one question, and reading the answer..I said aloud..Liar! Don't believe that for a second.

I do admit I really hope that Nicole will find that a baby of hers did not die.

And is he seriously (Corday) talking of perhaps a who is the daddy story? Guess there just hasn't been enough of those, huh?

Yes, am very disappointed to learn that Kim & Shane won't appear until after Christmas.

Guess I am missing something about seeing viewers clamoring for Hope & Rafe. Have not seen it all that much, but then, I don't go but a couple of places besides here. And certainly not every day.

Glamour thinks that Rafe and Hope have "sizzling chemistry?" :eek: These people must have flunked the subject in high school. And Corday watches Days and the accompanying commercials? Given a choice, who wouldn't FF them? Could it be that he finds the OxiClean spokesman and Alison Sweeney (Sami) pitching Truly Radiant products more interesting and better done than anything that appears on his program? :)
I'm apparently in the minority, but I happen to like Rafe and Hope. Why does a mature couple have to "sizzle"? Would it be a crime to have them just have a nice warm, mature relationship and not be rolling in the sheets and drooling over each other? Most bed scenes make me look away. They used to make one's toes curl up and you genuinely felt they were in love. I suppose this is off topic, but it's how I feel.

Okay now that I'm done squealing like a middle-school girl who has been asked to the first mixer of the school year by the boy she's crushing on; I'm ready to give my serious and thoughtful analysis of Ken Corday's Gabi and JJ comment. This might be a bit of a long one so you might want to go make yourself a sandwich and let the dog in/or out before you dive into it. LOL

First off someone on another site (daytimeroyaltyyonline.com) pointed out that from the way Corday worded it that it seems like Chad and Abigail and Gabi and JJ are going to be involved in the same story line. If that's the case I say cool. These characters should be involved with each other and not off in separate hermetically sealed bubbles like so many characters are nowadays.

But then someone brought up the possibility of a romantic quadrangle between the four of them. Wait how do you do that when two of the parties involved are siblings? Well someone suggested that Gabi and JJ might get involved in helping Chad search for Abigail (which they definitely should) and during that time Gabi and Chad might bond over the fact they're parents and JJ will find himself the odd man out. Then when Abigail gets back it will become a big mess.

Would I watch such a story? Yes but personally I hope they don't go in that direction for a could of reasons. 1) I don't think that would be fair to do that Abigail. It just seems kind of harsh if after after things she's been through and is probably currently going through wherever she is, to come back on canvas and find her husband's affections are torn between her and her best friend. 2) I don't Gabi and JJ first real story to one where their relationship is potentially on the rocks; let's see the romance flourish onscreen for a bit before its threatened. I know they need some kind of angst to keep viewer interest this is a soap after all. But I would prefer it not be that.

I would prefer some mystery/adventure type story something that could create a bond between the two couples instead of destroying a relationship between them that hasn't had a chance to develop yet. I know what I think it could involve but I'll step lightly because it's a bit spoiler heavy.

It's possible despite the wording could have been talking about two separate stories which mean Gabi and JJ their own story. If that's the case I keep thinking of the scene back in February when Gabi was being hassled by the corrections officer who knew her from prison. When Gabi made it clear that she didn't want to talk to him he said, "What's with the attitude? I looked out for you." At the time my antenna went up and I thought "What did that mean?" I'm not the only who caught that because I watched "Dishin Days" on Afterbuzztv.com and the hosts even brought it up when they were discussing that scene saying "That means something." Plus Gabi really seemed afraid of him. But we got nada.

But that was back in February so they probably wouldn't revisit that after so long. And for that matter the guy was portrayed as being a bit of a dim bulb. So I don't know if he would be much of a viable threat. But still I think that could be interesting avenue explore especially since I think Gabi's transition back into Salem society may have been just a little too smooth. I'm just glad we finally got some kind of confirmation that she and JJ are going to have some kind of story.

Well I warned you this would be a bit long. And I'm sure giving the brief nature of my first post some of you thought "Oh I bet he has more to say about this" you were right and you're welcome. LOL

Last edited:
Wait, Gabi's going to get airtime?

Baby stories are fine, but I don't want to see Nicole get shafted AGAIN. But I also can't see Chloe just handing one over to Nicole either, so I think this better go in a sharply different direction or I'll be annoyed. Since we know Philip is going I'm assuming its not a who's the daddy with him, otherwise he'd be staying.

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it about any story re: Nicole and a baby/child. That's been my one wish for this character and this show but I've resigned myself to the fact that it will never happen. This feels like some sort of sick tease by Corday to make fans think that Nicole will somehow get a child but it's really a story about Chloe and her baby. No thanks.

But yay for Anna returning!

Ken Corday meant to say said:
Impossible! [Laughs] I don't even watch the show, how would I know my favourite episode?
Meaningless. This man has no idea what's happening on this show. And where are these Rafe/Hope fans? I hate gushy articles like this. Fluff.
Well someone suggested that Gabi and JJ might get involved in helping Chad search for Abigail (which they definitely should) and during that time Gabi and Chad might bond over the fact they're parents
Ick. I love Gabi and Billy Flynn's Chad can do no wrong - but the whole fake-kidnapping thing looms.
That means something
We're assuming these writers are Chekhov, and all the guns have a purpose. In Days, they don't. They have wall-to-wall guns they'll never use.

If Nicole's baby/ies is/are alive, I don't think that would shock most viewers. Most fans want that or have speculated that in the past. Only the most televisually illiterate troglodytes would possibly be surprised by that.

I fear based on his weaselly wording that Nicole and Deimos will be involved in some sort of baby switch/napping with Chloe's baby, that could be Philip's or Deimos's. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

Last edited:
Yeah, not to burst anyone's bubble, but I think the baby comment was worded craftily enough that perhaps we are to assume it has to do with Nicole directly, but that maybe she is just part of the story instead of the parent of the baby. I don't know... just a feeling I had reading it.

I'm apparently in the minority,huh but I happen to like Rafe and Hope. Why does a mature couple have to "sizzle"? Would it be a crime to have them just have a nice warm, mature relationship and not be rolling in the sheets and drooling over each other.? Most bed scenes make me look away. they used to make one's toes curl up and you genuinely felt they were in love. I suppose this is off topic, but it's how I feel.

Remember this poll?

http://www.salemspectator.com/threads/poll-rafe-hope.28654/

While the results are hardly an accurate snapshot of overall feelings regarding this couple, given the constant negative reactions being posted, most would never have predicted the close outcome.

Are they my favorite couple of all time? No, however, as skeptical as I was upon hearing about them as an upcoming pairing, I am enjoying them. Has the writing been great? Far from it. This current patch with Aiden has left me cringing, but I can say the same about certain parts of the Rafe/Sami/EJ and the later version of the John/Marlena/Roman (Josh Taylor version of Roman) triangle.

I still say that the perception of "chemistry" is relative. As Barb pointed out in another thread, message boards aren't the most accurate measure of how viewers feel. Having been involved in a few board wars over the years, I'm pretty cautious about what I post these days. I usually don't jump in unless something hits me as unjustified or inaccurate.

While, as I said, the writing has been far from stellar, there are moments with certain characters that have rung true historically. There was a moment early on between Rafe and Roman, once Roman caught on to Rafe's feelings, where he brought up both similarities between his own initial relationship with Marlena, Rafe's initial relationship with Sami and what was going on with Hope (i.e. falling for the person you're protecting). Another was Bo's realization of Rafe's feelings just watching the two of them together.

My point is that I don't think that we are as alone in our enjoyment as some would think.

Last edited:
I feel like there's two main camps - those who outright dislike Hope/Rafe, and those who merely don't mind them. I'm not seeing anyone making photoshop manipulations or youtube videos of them together for example, which is the stuff that happens when people truly love a pairing.

Again, not saying that poll is accurate, but from those replies:

28 liked, 23 hated and 9 other. Still closer than the two major factions that you feel there are, for those interested enough to take part. On my part, I've lived long enough not to feel the need continually defend a fictional soap couple online.

Also, given the vitriol, that some seem to feel towards the couple, I won't be surprised at any attempts to shift those numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally with you Jason about the fake kidnapping thing in regard to Chad and Gabi. That was another reason why I wouldn't want to see that happen. I just couldn't think of how to word it so I just left it out. I guess I could have said that. That just goes to show what happens when you compose long posts on an empty stomach. LOL

I also see your point the guns they never-use, Plus as I said that encounter happened way back in February I really don't expect them to follow up on it now. But I'm not sure what the guy from "Star Trek" has to do with this. :)

Just for the record I totally got the Anton Checkov reference. It's just that with Star Trek: Beyond opening this weekend I couldn't resist the opportunity to make a stupid joke. LOL

Thank you for letting us know about the dates

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see pictures of the party when you go back to first magazine link.

Back